STRIKE!

Firstly you're making a massive presumption when you suggest I take my my terms and conditions for granted, I don't.

Secondly, the previous generations blood, sweat, and tears don't make anything that I've said untrue.

Frankly it's a lazy point that's you've made, the public sector still have some of the best Ts & Cs around, nobody is dying through unsafe conditions in the workplace through cuts (I can't say the same about people who rely on services)

The population have voted for the austerity party in three elections now, a 1 day strike isn't changing policy, or sending a message - they aren't listening.

I don't think an above inflation pay rise is a realistic ask in the public sector, I'd rather they continue to give those on the lowest salaries bigger rises.
On a day when 42,000 people lost their jobs

Nearly 100 people died in Grenfell a year ago.

Police, Fire, NHS and schools on the bones of their arse.

I think it’s time the people got a little something back.

On a day when 42,000 people lost their jobs

Nearly 100 people died in Grenfell a year ago.

Police, Fire, NHS and schools on the bones of their arse.

I think it’s time the people got a little something back.

Aye, services are on the bones of their arses and you suggest payrises for their employees rather than improving services..

Nee bother. :rolleyes:

Everything needs a funding increase.

Austerity has gone too far, we are flatlining
I totally agree with that mate, it's death by 1000 cuts.

My view is that until austerity ends people (myself included) shouldn't be getting the kind of rises unions have been asking for though, it's a piss take.

I totally agree with that mate, it's death by 1000 cuts.

My view is that until austerity ends people (myself included) shouldn't be getting the kind of rises unions have been asking for though, it's a piss take.
If the unions don’t speak up no one will, at least they’re challenging things.

People are afraid to stand up for themselves

If the unions don’t speak up no one will, at least they’re challenging things.

People are afraid to stand up for themselves
As someone who's been working in the public sector through all of the cuts I think they are a bunch of toothless dinosaurs.

I left Unison after the last restructure we had as they were f***ing useless for the people who were going.

BTW, I wasn't a union member when I crossed the picket, if I was I'd have been on strike.

The tories have basically made strikes illegal.
You have to have a bigger majority to strike than they needed to ruin the country re: brexit, madness.

Fuck off back to Russia with that commie talk comrade.

I would happily strike for any of those things. I wouldn't strike over a 1% public sector pay rise during years of austerity, best case scenario more people lose their jobs to pay for it.
So! You think it’s preferable to let the tories lie to you, that is all austerity ever was. Take the urine out of you and let them cut your pay year on year while having their own magic money tree when it is convenient. You are crackers man

Last edited:
So! You think it’s preferable to let the tories lie to you, that is all austerity ever was. Take the urine out of you and let them cut your pay year on year while having their own magic money tree when it is convenient. You are crackers man

My post doesn't suggest I'm okay with any of that. It seems like you are creating an idea of what you think I believe out of thin air so you can have the argument you wish to have. It's quite bizarre.

That is the way it appeared to me. Apologies if I got it wrong.
Ultimately for three elections the country has voted to put the party of austerity into government.

One day strikes aren't going to change that policy.

If the unions get say the LGA to give staff above inflation pay rises it's either going to impact services or cause more job losses, because money isn't going to come from central government to cover it.

That leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Ultimately I'm quite content for those on lower salaries to get higher rises than myself as they'll be most affected by inflation.

If there was extra money (not that there will be) I feel it should be used to provide the public with services. I don't think the majority of people would be okay with me getting pay rises while social services are cut, or the NHS is under strain, libraries are closing etc.

Honestly, I'd be happy if simple shit like pot holes were filled in a timely manner, we had more street cleaners to pick up rubbish, or grass at the side of the road being cut were done before I got an extra couple of percent in my bank every month. They are all simple things that make your environment a nicer place to be despite not being a higher priority.

How come neebodies had a good strike for a while?

Never see strikes in the news these days, looks like the illuminati have finally killed them off.
The London Underground seem to have one every other week.
Same with doctors and nurses.

Didn’t another rail company have a strike over laying off some of the ticket inspectors?

The London Underground seem to have one every other week.
Same with doctors and nurses.

Didn’t another rail company have a strike over laying off some of the ticket inspectors?
I can’t remember any In the north east. We should all go on strike till they sort the metro out imho

I think there’s a generation of newly middle class conservatives which have a major influence on how this country is run.

People who got in to the housing market before it went absolutely crackers. Happy to say ‘I’m alright jack’ and fuck off the younger generation, and pick up their pension in a few years.

Happy to see police numbers cut and real world wages for government workers frozen as long as they’re all right.

Long term this will cause problems.

For reasons of passenger safety, not for money.

That'll be reet!

Because the general public are selfish bastards after a generation of consumerism so strike action invariably gets no support, and people are individually (and understandably) more concerned about the lost pay than the wider issue at hand.

Alternatively, a good proportion of the public witnessed the period in the '70s under a Labour government exemplified by BL being almost brought to its knees by the likes of Red Robbo calling strikes for political, not industrial reasons. Strikes got a very bad name with Mr and Mrs General Public and this is why Thatcher came to power with a huge majority and reined in the unions.

Why should the public support action that is calculated to harm them? Why do the rail unions always strike when the public will be most impacted, e.g. leading up to Christmas?

Last edited:
*whistle* right lads! Down tools! Everyone out! Class:cool:

Saying that our last lot of union reps sold us out. They made a deal for even more job cuts and a better redundancy package over saving jobs as they were all taking the voluntary redundancy :evil:.

One thing I learned negotiating with unions is always find out the personal agenda of the union reps at the table. Give them what they want, within reason, and Bob's your uncle.

That'll be reet!

Alternatively, a good proportion of the public witnessed the period in the '70s under a Labour government exemplified by BL being almost brought to its knees by the likes of Red Robbo calling strikes for political, not industrial reasons. Strikes got a very bad name with Mr and Mrs General Public and this is why Thatcher came to power with a huge majority and reined in the unions.

Why should the public support action that is calculated to harm them? Why do the rail unions always strike when the public will be most impacted, e.g. leading up to Christmas?
Thatcher spoke atthe meeting of Ford workers in 1978 and told them it was right for the to fight for a living wage. We ended up with the winter of discontent, I know who set that up.

That'll be reet!

And yell be wrong,by the way.

Honestly, I'd be happy if simple shit like pot holes were filled in a timely manner, we had more street cleaners to pick up rubbish, or grass at the side of the road being cut were done before I got an extra couple of percent in my bank every month. They are all simple things that make your environment a nicer place to be despite not being a higher priority.
You mean all of the stuff we had not so long ago but was taken away in the name of cuts?

You mean all of the stuff we had not so long ago but was taken away in the name of cuts?
Yes.

I think money should be spent bringing those kind of things back before staff get pay rises.

If there's money there to pay for the kind of percentage pay rise the unions ask for then there is money to improve those low priority services imo.

Back