STRIKE!

*whistle* right lads! Down tools! Everyone out! Class:cool:

Saying that our last lot of union reps sold us out. They made a deal for even more job cuts and a better redundancy package over saving jobs as they were all taking the voluntary redundancy :evil:.

Royal Mail had a recent 90% + vote (70%+ turnout) for strike action, which looks like it is going to have the desired impact on the company's thinking. Apparently it was seen as the first real challenge to government union/strike legislation and the government shit itself at the outcome.

*whistle* right lads! Down tools! Everyone out! Class:cool:

Saying that our last lot of union reps sold us out. They made a deal for even more job cuts and a better redundancy package over saving jobs as they were all taking the voluntary redundancy :evil:.
The thing is without them there would be no redundancy pay. Like them or not what else have you got?

I was in a public sector union and went on strike for one day, subsequently losing a day of pay.

But everyone who wasn’t a union member still benefited from the negotiated pay increase so I didn’t see the point unless everyone or nobody joins.

I was in a public sector union and went on strike for one day, subsequently losing a day of pay.

But everyone who wasn’t a union member still benefited from the negotiated pay increase so I didn’t see the point unless everyone or nobody joins.
That used to happen all the time at HP, three people would strike while everyone else reaped the benefit.

Oh, wait a minute... The union negotiated the square route of nowt.

Never been in one and never needed one.

I stayed out for the full year of the miners strike. A few years later, about 87' there was another dispute. The num put an overtime ban on. That was me fucked being a surface worker. The mechanics union decided on a day of action (one day strike) as overtime was their big money earner. The week before the day of action i saw loads of faces i had never seen before in the fitting shops. The fuckers were working double shifts to make up for the day they were losing. I went down to the picket line on the day and the first bloke i clapped eyes on was a bbc scab, (back before christmas) who used to cross our picket lines wearing a balaclava on an armoured bus. I laughed in his face and went to work.

Topper, i assume you'll be giving up your weekends, sick pay, holidays, health and safety and everything else unions won for you.
Fuck off back to Russia with that commie talk comrade.

I would happily strike for any of those things. I wouldn't strike over a 1% public sector pay rise during years of austerity, best case scenario more people lose their jobs to pay for it.

Fuck off back to Russia with that commie talk comrade.

I would happily strike for any of those things. I wouldn't strike over a 1% public sector pay rise during years of austerity, best case scenario more people lose their jobs to pay for it.

It's funny how its the public sector that's bore the f***ing brunt of this "austerity"

We've already lost shit loads of jobs and so has every f***ing public sector dept I know, trying to justify strike breaking with that bollocks, fuck off man.

I bet you would have took the f***ing pay rise if they won one.

Comrade

It's funny how its the public sector that's bore the f***ing brunt of this "austerity"

We've already lost shit loads of jobs and so has every f***ing public sector dept I know, trying to justify strike breaking with that bollocks, fuck off man.

I bet you would have took the f***ing pay rise if they won one.

Comrade
What does a 1 day strike achieve? Fuck all. "We're sending a message" to who? The organisation that already knows it's shit? (who just saved about 0.3% of their annual wage bill!) The government couldn't give a fuck.

Let's strike, let's get a 10% pay bump. Who's going to pay for it? There isn't any extra money coming in, on the contrary quite the opposite, it just means an extra post or two going per team next restructure. You might not like it but that's a fact.

Do I have the option to refuse a pay rise negotiated? No.

Shit like this is why I left the union.

What does a 1 day strike achieve? Fuck all. "We're sending a message" to who? The organisation that already knows it's shit? (who just saved about 0.3% of their annual wage bill!) The government couldn't give a fuck.

Let's strike, let's get a 10% pay bump. Who's going to pay for it? There isn't any extra money coming in, on the contrary quite the opposite, it just means an extra post or two going per team next restructure. You might not like it but that's a fact.

Do I have the option to refuse a pay rise negotiated? No.

Shit like this is why I left the union.
The terms and conditions you take for granted, maternity leave, sick leave, pensions.

All from the blood sweat and tears of previous generations who weren’t afraid to stand up and ask for more

The terms and conditions you take for granted, maternity leave, sick leave, pensions.

All from the blood sweat and tears of previous generations who weren’t afraid to stand up and ask for more
Firstly you're making a massive presumption when you suggest I take my my terms and conditions for granted, I don't.

Secondly, the previous generations blood, sweat, and tears don't make anything that I've said untrue.

Frankly it's a lazy point that's you've made, the public sector still have some of the best Ts & Cs around, nobody is dying through unsafe conditions in the workplace through cuts (I can't say the same about people who rely on services)

The population have voted for the austerity party in three elections now, a 1 day strike isn't changing policy, or sending a message - they aren't listening.

I don't think an above inflation pay rise is a realistic ask in the public sector, I'd rather they continue to give those on the lowest salaries bigger rises.

Back