Striding edge

Thinking about doing Blencathra next week weather dependant, anyone done this one?

Our kid says there are two routes the easy one and the more hairy scrambly one?

Thinking about doing Blencathra next week weather dependant, anyone done this one?

The easy one really is easy. I did sharp edge (the hard way) when it was a little damp, and wouldn't do it again after I slipped at one stage and my life flashed before my eyes :lol:

There’s a few ways up Blencathra. We parked at the Blencathra Field studies centre and took an easy route (I’d say it was because we took the bairn, but really it’s because I’m a fair weather fell walker and I don’t want any scrambling or dangerous bits).

There's a straight forward route up from the right hand side as you look at it from Scales. Slightly challenging if you arnt fit but no dramas and the views are superb.
You can branch off as you reach the tarn to do Sharp Edge but I'd only recommend it if you're a regular to hills and suchlike. It isn't overly hard for someone who does that type of thing but there's a couple of bits where people do die every year if you arnt careful or competent.
There's also the route up Halls Fell. This is the direct route up the South side direct to the top from Threlkeld. This is rarely used (I don't know anyone else who's done it) but a superb grade one scramble in parts. Again not for the inexperienced but I'd heartily recommend it for the regular types who get on here.

There's a straight forward route up from the right hand side as you look at it from Scales. Slightly challenging if you arnt fit but no dramas and the views are superb.
You can branch off as you reach the tarn to do Sharp Edge but I'd only recommend it if you're a regular to hills and suchlike. It isn't overly hard for someone who does that type of thing but there's a couple of bits where people do die every year if you arnt careful or competent.
There's also the route up Halls Fell. This is the direct route up the South side direct to the top from Threlkeld. This is rarely used (I don't know anyone else who's done it) but a superb grade one scramble in parts. Again not for the inexperienced but I'd heartily recommend it for the regular types who get on here.
I do the Halls Fell route every time I go. Nice walk along the cycle path from Keswick. Stop at the cafe in Threlkeld then a nice scramble. I’ve seen a few other people but it’s usually quiet. Dumps you right at the top as well. Great fun.

Back