Striding edge

Falconhoof

Winger
Looking to do this walk next week. Is it a scramble like Sharp Edge or more just a take your time walk?
Also any links for a decent easy to follow loop route?
Thanks in advance oh wise SMB

Looking to do this walk next week. Is it a scramble like Sharp Edge or more just a take your time walk?
I wouldnt do striding edge for a gold pig and I do a lot of hiking. I'm not mental. I'm am a big puff scared of heights like, but it looks horrendous.

First 15 mins of this is a good watch. Braver man than me if you do it.

Did it a couple of weeks ago, canny bit scrambling. Was a bit sketchy along the top as it was pretty windy and the mist and rain came in so it was slippy as well. Got advised to duff the Swirrell edge return as too dangerous in that weather so took the long way round

Really easy to follow from the car park, nice circular route.

It’s not for the faint of heart. Wear your best boots, carefully check the weather and make sure someone knows where you’re going and when to expect you back.

Did it last year, was my first proper walk, had no idea it was that big of a hill tbh.
Had a pair of jeans on and 30 year old timberland boots on, was difficult.
Was also very foggy, was great once we finally finished mind, need to go back up though so I can actually take in the views.

Dunno if this will work

Many a year ago when I did it and was young and fit.
Did it in my army boots and lightweight trousers. But was genuinely passed by blokes in sandals and dunno if I'm recalling incorrectly but I'm sure there was also a bloke with one leg doing it.
Nearly had a fall too.
Came back down swirral edge which seemed easier at the time. But perhaps not.Amazing pint at the bottom though.

Plenty of scrambling towards the top.

My eldest and his mate carried their bikes up there from thirlmere side last week and rode back down to patterdale, up kirkstone on road and back home to ambleside off road ,doesn't see any danger in it

One of my mates died about ten years ago on there. He was walking with his son who obviously witnessed his fall. He walked it quite regularly.
Unless you’re highly experienced, don’t do it.

My eldest and his mate carried their bikes up there from thirlmere side last week and rode back down to patterdale, up kirkstone on road and back home to ambleside off road ,doesn't see any danger in it
Walking up helvellyn from thirlmere side is a totally different thing. Done that many times. Good walk but no danger in it whatsoever. Respect for carrying bikes up it mind!!!!!
Awful. I think there are a fair few deaths a year doing it.

Last edited:
Did it a couple of weeks ago, canny bit scrambling. Was a bit sketchy along the top as it was pretty windy and the mist and rain came in so it was slippy as well. Got advised to duff the Swirrell edge return as too dangerous in that weather so took the long way round

Really easy to follow from the car park, nice circular route.
Had to hold your hand when you were bricking it if I remember correctly 😉

Everyone’s ability and tolerance of height exposure is different and only you know for sure what your comfortable with. It’s a cakewalk for some and a cragfast inducing monster for others. Check the weather first and foremost, if it’s not half decent do not bother. I went up helvellyn last November in a group of around 20, weather fine in glenridding, we didn’t even do the edges, went up via grizedale tarn, dollywaggon, nethermost. Weather had turned so bad that only 2 of us completed the route over the top and back to glenridding, some turned back and others had to drop down to thirlmere to loose height. I do a fair bit of hiking etc, a lot on my own but that was bad. Turns so quickly and before you know it your lost and gibbering.

I’m not good with heights / drop offs. I wasn’t best pleased going across.
One of my mates died about ten years ago on there. He was walking with his son who obviously witnessed his fall. He walked it quite regularly.
Unless you’re highly experienced, don’t do it.
Awful that mate. Sorry to hear it.

It's mint with decent bit of exposure, most of striding edge is like walking on a rocky path just higher up with drops either side and an easy scramble towards the end.

Its fine man. Mate did it who has a fear of exposure, not really heights. 3 of us did it. 2nd time for me. Some go up every week from up there. They'll go up everyday soon for winter courses and weather. As with anything just be careful and if your not right. Use the path further down

I went over a few years ago with the sole intention of doing Striding Edge.
After chatting with the B&B owners in the morning they advised we do an easier route.
We took the advice and when we got to the top I was glad.
I looked over at Striding Edge (class view of it from top) and my palms started to sweat instantly.
I used to fine with heights when I was younger but no chance now.

Back