Strictly Come Dancing 2018

I'll let you lot decide how to take The Times' review of the Birmingham live shows... @BoldonBlackCat

The dance numbers — more than a dozen of them — are short and occasionally sweet. The female contestants have the edge.

In its 12th year the live version of this hugely popular BBC series remains a thick slice of big-budget light entertainment. Loud, slick and fun, the two-act touring production is about as mainstream as dance can get. Yet tucked inside all the formulaic showbiz glitter and easy-cheesy banter is a kernel of truth about how potentially life-changing this art form can be.

For anyone unfamiliar with the premise of Strictly, couples comprising a gung-ho celebrity and a professional dancer vie for glory. On TV the suspense of which pair will earn the trophy is spread across an entire season. For the live edition audience votes determine who wins at the end of each performance.

We’re guided in this process by the example of an expert judging panel. The Latin dance expert Shirley Ballas and the retired ballerina Darcey Bussell are astute and generous commentators. They are flanked by Craig Revel Horwood (also the live show’s director) and the effusive Bruno Tonioli. The quartet’s roles sometimes seem as defined as in a panto. That is particularly true of the men, especially Horwood, whose air of sarcastic disdain renders him a loveable villain.

The dance numbers — more than a dozen of them — are short and occasionally sweet. The female contestants have the edge. It’s no surprise, given their pop star backgrounds, that the ex-Pussycat Doll Ashley Roberts and Faye Tozer, an erstwhile member of Steps, are the most accomplished movers. Tozer and Giovanni Pernice’s fleet-footed charleston to The Lonely Goatherd is a highlight. Still, the Paralympian champion Lauren Steadman and the BBC documentary presenter Stacey Dooley (Strictly 2018’s top prizewinner) demonstrate that they are no slouches either.

In this glitzy popularity contest personality and a can-do spirit tend to count as much as technique. Witness the efforts of the ebullient Dr Ranj Singh and the cricketer Graeme Swann; although neither is great shakes as a dancer, both give it their best shot. And I wasn’t the only one impressed by the slightly built, floppy-haired media star and vlogger Joe Sugg. His well-crafted routines with his off-screen partner, Dianne Buswell, showcased his athletic verve. The duo rightly boogied away with the gong at this performance.

Cant wait for Strictly 2019 me, it's sure to bring me out of my rather depressive state - haway September / October 2019 :cool:.

We've got a tough few months ahead of us as we are just starting out in the adoption journey. Hopefully by September all will be agreed ready to be matched. A holiday, my birthday and Strictly make it a sought after month too.

This year should fly by *fingers crossed*

HawayTheSeptember ;)

Back