Stress and anxiety

And me. I like my job but it’s long hours and bloody stressful. I’m basically always on call,
at least in theory. Even when on holiday, I’m checking email every 30 minutes.

I then get irritable with my wife (who, to be fair, is hugely patient and supportive) or snappy with strangers about random little things. When in Italy recently, I nearly went all Basil Fawlty rant like in a petrol station when the self service tank took our money and didn’t work. And I’m always terrified of f***ing up at work.

I also don’t sleep more than 6 hours a night. I rarely drink, as that makes things worse. But when I do, I binge, like a pressure valve being released.

I’m generally ok and doing ok but the job comes with sacrifices and sometimes I wonder if they’re worth it. But I have a mortgage to pay for.

Life often reminds me of that Mark Peep Show quote - “you’ve just got to log on and grind it out.”

Now read your post back as if someone else had posted it.
What's your reaction ?

As someone wise once said to me

"Your work could replace you like a shot if anything happened to you.

Your family couldn't"

Anxiety sucks... You're not alone

My anxiety has taken a turn for the worse.

Been in bed since Thursday. Waking at about 7 and wracked with anxiety until about 2 or 3. Sleeping well otherwise. Also been off my food since Wednesday. Grab a snack in between waves of it.

It’s horrendous and debilitating. My head is quite lucid and I can’t work out why I should be so anxious.

GP has been good. Put me on sertraline for the mid term and also diazepam to get over this hump (which I am only using in the mornings as in its own way it’s just as unpleasant as the anxiety). Referred for talking therapies although that has a 9 months wait. I think OH will get to me first on that.

Ho hum. Hopefully will wain soon.

Happy mental health awareness month.

My anxiety has taken a turn for the worse.

Been in bed since Thursday. Waking at about 7 and wracked with anxiety until about 2 or 3. Sleeping well otherwise. Also been off my food since Wednesday. Grab a snack in between waves of it.

It’s horrendous and debilitating. My head is quite lucid and I can’t work out why I should be so anxious.

GP has been good. Put me on sertraline for the mid term and also diazepam to get over this hump (which I am only using in the mornings as in its own way it’s just as unpleasant as the anxiety). Referred for talking therapies although that has a 9 months wait. I think OH will get to me first on that.

Ho hum. Hopefully will wain soon.

Happy mental health awareness month.
Any improvement mate?

After my stomach being in knots again yesterday morning went to see the gp last night. Diagnosed with general anxiety disorder. Prescribed fluoxetine and can arrange cbt if I want.

Let me know how you got on.

Mine is getting a bit worse lately. Starting to consider a trip to the docs.

Not a lot. Waiting at the gp now.

Hope it's gone well, it's a good sign for yourself that you're seeking that help out as soon as you need it though. The longer you let yourself sink into it the longer it takes to climb back out of it. I'm curious though, if you don't mind me asking, did the GP say why he'd changed you from the fluoxetine to the sertraline? Unless you're having bad side effects that seems a bit quick to change anti-depressants rather than trying to adjust doses first.

Has anyone tried CBD oil yet? Apparently it works wonders for anxiety and some people have had a better response to that than traditional meds.

Hope it's gone well, it's a good sign for yourself that you're seeking that help out as soon as you need it though. The longer you let yourself sink into it the longer it takes to climb back out of it. I'm curious though, if you don't mind me asking, did the GP say why he'd changed you from the fluoxetine to the sertraline? Unless you're having bad side effects that seems a bit quick to change anti-depressants rather than trying to adjust doses first.

I read up on the pros and cons of them both before requesting Sertraline, though the exact reasons why, I can’t quite recall now. Thankfully it seems to be doing the job up till now.

There was no choice but to seek help. Was completely incapacitated. Had to ask for a sick note if nothing else (something I’ve never had to do in 24 years of work). Signed off for a further 2 weeks. Work has been more than understanding.

Re the fluoxetine. There was a thought that some of the symptoms may be a reaction to the meds hence the change. Been advised that sertraline can take a month to work.

Have occupational health appointment tomorrow with a mental health nurse which will hopefully provide me some talking therapy quicker than the NHS 9 month wait. Quite anxious about this appointment (unsurprisingly).

Gp is also checking thyroid etc.

Feel a little brighter today. Probably because the gp appointment forced me up and out. Also walked the mile or so there and back.

There was no choice but to seek help. Was completely incapacitated. Had to ask for a sick note if nothing else (something I’ve never had to do in 24 years of work). Signed off for a further 2 weeks. Work has been more than understanding.

Re the fluoxetine. There was a thought that some of the symptoms may be a reaction to the meds hence the change. Been advised that sertraline can take a month to work.

Have occupational health appointment tomorrow with a mental health nurse which will hopefully provide me some talking therapy quicker than the NHS 9 month wait. Quite anxious about this appointment (unsurprisingly).

Feel a little brighter today. Probably because the gp appointment forced me up and out. Also walked the mile or so there and back.
Nice to hear that things are looking up a bit.

Time of year is dreadful too. Stock up on vit d. Helps me a lot.

Back