Stress and anxiety

My heart rate seems to be constantly fast through anxiety these days, make me wonder about how bad it is for your health. I was thinking earlier when my anxiety was high and thinking about something that I know is nonsense that it made me think of how I'm pleased my anxiety is about this rather than something that truly bothers me as that can be harder to get out of, probably makes no sense I know!
It's called meta cognition Chris. Thinking about thinking basically. I know it feels better as it's perceived as known but it can often be a distraction technique to stop "real" worry getting in. It feels more manageable but it is still unpleasant worry and unfortunately it can lead to more reason for uncertainty as the mind gets the general feeling it is missing out on real ' dangers' as it knows its distracted.
Better to be aware of the actual worry subject and clearly and formally decide from the off "is this a definite real thing I have to handle or is it a hypothetical 'maybe' at this time.
The other thing with metacognition is it fills a void, those who are used to worry can feel very uncomfortable when they are without one.
All well know and treatable with persistent CBT once you get right down to it marra, get the help. If you've tried it and it hasn't worked have another go be honest with the therapist about why.
Edit. Just in illustration count the number of "thinkings and wonderings" in your post as you describe your experience. Lots

Last edited:
Totally relate to that post.
And me. I like my job but it’s long hours and bloody stressful. I’m basically always on call,
at least in theory. Even when on holiday, I’m checking email every 30 minutes.

I then get irritable with my wife (who, to be fair, is hugely patient and supportive) or snappy with strangers about random little things. When in Italy recently, I nearly went all Basil Fawlty rant like in a petrol station when the self service tank took our money and didn’t work. And I’m always terrified of f***ing up at work.

I also don’t sleep more than 6 hours a night. I rarely drink, as that makes things worse. But when I do, I binge, like a pressure valve being released.

I’m generally ok and doing ok but the job comes with sacrifices and sometimes I wonder if they’re worth it. But I have a mortgage to pay for.

Life often reminds me of that Mark Peep Show quote - “you’ve just got to log on and grind it out.”

And me. I like my job but it’s long hours and bloody stressful. I’m basically always on call,

I then get irritable with my wife (who, to be fair, is hugely patient and supportive) or snappy with strangers about random little things. When in Italy recently, I nearly went all Basil Fawlty rant like in a petrol station when the self service tank took our money and didn’t work. And I’m always terrified of f***ing up at work.

I also don’t sleep more than 6 hours a night. I rarely drink, as that makes things worse. But when I do, I binge, like a pressure valve being released.

I’m generally ok and doing ok but the job comes with sacrifices and sometimes I wonder if they’re worth it. But I have a mortgage to pay for.

Life often reminds me of that Mark Peep Show quote - “you’ve just got to log on and grind it out.”
Life doesn’t have to be like this. Lots of us will recognise what you’re going through, myself included. It’s possible with some interventions that are actually quite easy to do in many ways, and quite effect quite quickly, to get better mental well-being. I know everyone always says it, but speak to your doc (it’s great advice). And don’t be put off by tales of NHS waiting lists - I saw my GP Saturday, got a call from the CBT provider Monday, full telephone assessment Wednesday, started CBT the following week. God bless, go well, get better xx

Worrying about what happened yesterday will make you depressed. Worrying about what might happen in the future will make you anxious. Try to live in the here and now. Take up exercise, relax/meditate for at least half an hour every day. Take up a hobby that you find interesting, make something, do something that you will be proud of, no matter how small. Fill your mind with nice things, try to understand who and what is upsetting you, if it’s your family, try to understand their point of view. Keep alcohol down to a minimum, it is of no help in the long run and makes things much worse. Get the excess weight off, that will do wonders for your self esteem and you will like yourself more. Good luck.

Last edited:
My heart rate seems to be constantly fast through anxiety these days, make me wonder about how bad it is for your health. I was thinking earlier when my anxiety was high and thinking about something that I know is nonsense that it made me think of how I'm pleased my anxiety is about this rather than something that truly bothers me as that can be harder to get out of, probably makes no sense I know!

Have you got a fitbit type watch with a heart monitor? I've had anxiety attacks and was convinced my heart was beating out of control however when I looked at my watch, I realised it was just beating as normal. I found that reassuring and it helped.

get terrible anxiety mate, dont know about you but all collects in my chest sometimes lasting for days on end :(
What do you fo about it? Yes, see your GP but in the end it is what you do yourself that will do the trick. Try you tube, relaxtion/ meditation will help for a start. Sit down and do as they say, just do it. Then add the things that everyone has mentioned. Sad to say but drink will make you worse. I have been through all of this until the penny dropped some 30 years ago.

Have you got a fitbit type watch with a heart monitor? I've had anxiety attacks and was convinced my heart was beating out of control however when I looked at my watch, I realised it was just beating as normal. I found that reassuring and it helped.

I was about to message the exact same thing! It made a huge difference to see that it just felt like my heart was racing but it was actually fine. Not to say that if I’m having a big attack that I notice my hr going loopy but I’d say about 95% of the time it only feels like it. My Fitbit also has a relax feature where it helps you to do controlled breathing, I’ve sometimes used it hiding in a toilet cubicle if I’m out & about & anxiety hits hard, it’s very helpful.

I haven't read through all this but I get terrible anxiety.

I find writing my worries down and then challenging each one clears my mind. Would the statements stand up in court? Is there really anything I can do about its if not why worry. For some reason that can work like magic and reset my mind. There's plenty of books explaining it better than me

Exercise helps. Join a gym and go to classes. The classes will work you far better than going alone on weights/machines, especially of you're new to it. Don't worry about anyone looking at you, no one gives a fuck. That can have a huge improvement on anxetiy and stress.

The other thing I've found is to put you phone down. I was going insane reading twitter and worrying myself about trump, Brexit and all the other nonsense. When you get in put your phone away, maybe check it before bed but 100% make sure you are charging it in another room so you aren't tempted to pick it up

This works for me but it's a ongoing battle

I have been thinking recently about going to the docs about anxiety medication. i am generally not a fan of medication for things as I find there is often a natural way of easing things and I am a fan of nature.

I have anxiety everyday, always have had and always will do. It's just part of my mental health. I do work out hard every day, I don't drink alcohol and I get to bed early (not that I am a good sleeper) as I know these things help me but anxiety is always there as there are daily situations that I find somewhat difficult.

anyone ever tried medication for this?

This is almost word for word me at present - pretty much hate my job at present and i'm taking it out on family - my 6 year old cowers away from me when something happens and its f***ing killing me inside but dont know how to stop it.

This is almost word for word me at present - pretty much hate my job at present and i'm taking it out on family - my 6 year old cowers away from me when something happens and its f***ing killing me inside but dont know how to stop it.
Mate, if your writing that down you know you need help, fast and now. No kid should cower away from his dad. Haway pal, get yourself a appointment at the docs asap.

Mate, if your writing that down you know you need help, fast and now. No kid should cower away from his dad. Haway pal, get yourself a appointment at the docs asap.
shit that sounds pretty bad doesnt it? she doesnt cower like i'm going to hit her or anything - you can just see her flinch like i'm going to blow my top.

Very bad choice of words on my part i think.

Life doesn’t have to be like this. Lots of us will recognise what you’re going through, myself included. It’s possible with some interventions that are actually quite easy to do in many ways, and quite effect quite quickly, to get better mental well-being. I know everyone always says it, but speak to your doc (it’s great advice). And don’t be put off by tales of NHS waiting lists - I saw my GP Saturday, got a call from the CBT provider Monday, full telephone assessment Wednesday, started CBT the following week. God bless, go well, get better xx
See my experience was I pretty much snapped and was on my last leg, I phoned my GP when I was told the doctor would phone me in 2 days for a over the phone appointment, told him what I was going through "you want drugs?" Then he gave me a number for a local helpline.
The number was wrong department who passed me onto another department, who claimed it wasn't them, this went on for about 50 minutes. I then hung up.

shit that sounds pretty bad doesnt it? she doesnt cower like i'm going to hit her or anything - you can just see her flinch like i'm going to blow my top.

Very bad choice of words on my part i think.
It does mate, when you read it, looks terrible. It seems anger issues are more common as well. That includes me by the way but have already quoted my achilles heel earlier.

If anyone is interested this is the screening tool the IAPT services use for general anxiety
GAD7 Anxiety Test Questionnaire | Patient
7 is "healthy" but don't forget as already mention anxiety is normal and adaptive so it doesn't mean it's a problem if your temporarily going over for a reason . Just if youre substantially over all the time it probably means you would benefit from looking at why.
This one is specific to worry again it's a fairly evidence based one.
Self-assessment - Penn State Worry | Jean Hailes - Anxiety: Learn, Think, Do.
They're just guides though and the thing to remember is if it's not bothering you it's not a problem.
Done the top test, came out at 9 scored, mild anxiety. Ten is a acceptable level. Had a decent few hours sleep today,On nighshift and had been pretty much been awake since 06.30 on sunday morning. Bad day yesterday, totally flipped my lid with insurance investigator on the phone as to his questions.

Last edited:
Getting more anxiety issues recently. Not about anything in particular. I’m finding I have a knot in my stomach before work with flight or fight reaction. I’ve never been anxious about work. Also with self doubt thrown in.

In addition I have had arrhythmia recently. Under investigation. Quite possibly coronary artery disease (I’m on 47 ffs). The anxiety is getting worse. I’m close to making an appointment with gp.

It’s not fun like.

If you really want to measure stress, get a blood pressure monitor. I used to suffer from white coat syndrome, when the Dr or nurse checked mt bp it wiuld be sky high. I bought a monitor and learned that if I was stressed bp was high. It usedto freak me out. I then tried the relaxtion procedure, hypnosis, or meditation, or relaxtion, all the same and on You Tube and ai found that doing that would gety bp to normal in 20 -30minutes. I kept on practising until I could virtually do it at will, I no longer have a problem. Anyone thinks I am kidding, go ahead, try it, monitors are cheap. Let us know how you get on.

Back