Strengthening Sunderland's Identity

• Thread starter Deleted member 27897
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 27897

So in the last thread I asked people to provide some icons of Sunderland and life in it, things which gives the area meaning and symbolism to them. There were a few jokes as to be expected, (as well as Dave the Rave getting mentioned more times than any other thing!).

icons of Sunderland and local life

But I wanted this to lead into something bigger. It's easy to be downtrodden about Sunderland as a city, and as a football club, but the mentality of things needs to change. Rather than talking down the place at every opportunity, we should take pride in it and strengthen our personal connections to it. We should seek to be optimistic about Sunderland, to generate an atmosphere of positivity which can drive things forward.

To do that, as the thread above shows, we need to build up our local identity. We need to think more about "who we are" as people from Sunderland, what this "place means to us" and "what it should be".

For example, for me this is what Sunderland "means". Despite the things people say about the area and its imperfections, it is part of who I am. Sunderland is not just a city, it is a heritage and a way of life. We are ultimately an egalitarian city, we value humility, equality and a spirit of community. We embrace a proud industrial past whereby we were once the "largest shipbuilding town in the world", a hub of coal mining and glass making too. Although this was taken away from us in unjust circumstances (no politics intended), it is a part of us. Past generations of my family were shipwrights and miners, whom came from other places in the 19th century to seek work in an industrializing Britain (Scotland, Ireland and vast corners of the world for some). The football club is an extension of that heritage and identity. As woeful as things are, I cannot detach myself from SAFC not now or never.

My mind contrasts the humility and spirit of Sunderland (as well as the North East a whole) with the perceived snobbishness of Southern England and wealthier areas, or the community spirit with the busy, metropolitan and impersonal scenes of London. That is not making any negative statements about London, it is merely a personal reflection on how Sunderland is different.

Whilst everyone's "identity" is ultimately subjective, we really do need to come together as a city and start being passionate about this place, having the confidence to promote ourselves. If you look up the road you can see how the identity of "Geordieness" has propelled Newcastle on the national and international stage. We need something similar, becoming more confident about local history, heritage culture, community, dialect and so on. The pessimistic culture which shadows our city needs to end, we need to start reflecting about who we are again.

Its my home and where i was born but lets be honest, the city as a whole is a f***ing dump. Trying to pretend otherwise is embarasing.

Given the fact that most people and our council see us as being in a position to compete with Newcastle, there is little chance of things ever changing.

We have tried the pround indutrial past schtick for years and it just doesn't wash. Every time ive been to the 'national glass centre' theres been about 5 other people in.

We should recognise that we are a second tier regional town (city status makes it look even worse) and play to our strengths on that basis. Do more to make our seafront the north easts coastal resort and get people coming in from the north east for starters.

The negative mentality is never going to change anytime soon, its going to take something monumental for it to change. Take a look at any Echo article, even positive ones, on Facebook and you'll find mostly negative comments and while its not 100% scientific proof, it does give a good indication of the population of Sunderland and how they think and unfortunately these knackers are heard the most given that platform.

Its unfortunate because Sunderland has immense potential given the free land it has around the city, from the centre to the outskirts of old council estates that just sit as wasteland, to the seafront.

Imagine working for the council or one of its "key partners" and then spending your spare time trying to manipulate a few threads on the SMB to paint said council positively.

Proper odd.

It's almost like a certain president claiming credit for helping peace in Korea.

WDDT.

You’re just an old cynic mate, brighten up

An optimist is simply a pessimist who needs to get out more.

Last edited:
It's almost like a certain president claiming credit for helping peace in Korea.

WDDT.

An optimist is simply a pessimist who needs to get out more.

Why have you even made this thread about the council? That was not even what it was intended to be about.

Your life comes across as pretty miserable. Cynical of everything, have hope in nothing. You’re not a bad poster on here but you’re a pretty grim one that’s for sure.

Imagine working for the council or one of its "key partners" and then spending your spare time trying to manipulate a few threads on the SMB to paint said council positively.

Proper odd.

Don’t work for them or have any ties.

The negative mentality is never going to change anytime soon, its going to take something monumental for it to change. Take a look at any Echo article, even positive ones, on Facebook and you'll find mostly negative comments and while its not 100% scientific proof, it does give a good indication of the population of Sunderland and how they think and unfortunately these knackers are heard the most given that platform.

Its unfortunate because Sunderland has immense potential given the free land it has around the city, from the centre to the outskirts of old council estates that just sit as wasteland, to the seafront.

There needs to be an economic impetus for change as land values are so low no developer will invest when they can get better returns elsewhere.

I think the op is barking up completely the wrong tree in trying to create some kind of sunderland cultural identity as it just smacks of a small town springfield/shelbyville mentality.

We have all heard the stories from dads and grandads that we were all considered geordies until not so long ago and people would go to see whoever was at home that week etc.

We would have more to gain from embracing our proper role and identity as part of the north east rather than trying to fashion a sense of individual identity that i don't really think exists.

Why have you even made this thread about the council? That was not even what it was intended to be about.

Your life comes across as pretty miserable. Cynical of everything, have hope in nothing. You’re not a bad poster on here but you’re a pretty grim one that’s for sure.

:cry: That's me telt :cry:

I will try to improve though :D

There needs to be an economic impetus for change as land values are so low no developer will invest when they can get better returns elsewhere.

I think the op is barking up completely the wrong tree in trying to create some kind of sunderland cultural identity as it just smacks of a small town springfield/shelbyville mentality.

We have all heard the stories from dads and grandads that we were all considered geordies until not so long ago and people would go to see whoever was at home that week etc.

We would have more to gain from embracing our proper role and identity as part of the north east rather than trying to fashion a sense of individual identity that i don't really think exists.

It's not about creating a small town mentality. It's about creating a positive image of what our city is, what it represents and what it has to offer, expanding outwards to the world. That doesn't necessarily have to exclude the north east.

That's what I meant anyway.

Back