Strength loss on a cut

How bad can it actually get?

I’ve never actually cut before, and fancy at least doing a ‘mini’ cut if not going the whole way down to a very low body fat %.

Don’t fancy losing a boat load of strength.

Best ways of doing it to maintain as much strength as possible, in terms of approach to calories and training?

How bad can it actually get?

I’ve never actually cut before, and fancy at least doing a ‘mini’ cut if not going the whole way down to a very low body fat %.

Don’t fancy losing a boat load of strength.

Best ways of doing it to maintain as much strength as possible, in terms of approach to calories and training?

Very bad if not done properly. I used to lift pretty heavy when I was 19 clem, by the time I had got down to 16 and a half after around 12 weeks of dieting I hit the worst fatigue of my life, literally nacked my body and energy for months. By the time I was sorted again I had dropped over 30% strength.

I asked a bodybuilder about it a few weeks ago. I don’t track macros and I wouldn’t want to monitor everything.

His advice was to gradually reduce carbs but not too heavily initially.

Also to go for a brisk walk first thing in the morning while fasted. Not to do any other cardio.

Apart from that he said to continue lifting as usual. Bagloads of roids May help too.

I asked a bodybuilder about it a few weeks ago. I don’t track macros and I wouldn’t want to monitor everything.

His advice was to gradually reduce carbs but not too heavily initially.

Also to go for a brisk walk first thing in the morning while fasted. Not to do any other cardio.

Apart from that he said to continue lifting as usual. Bagloads of roids May help too.

Might take some tren tbf.

Bench usually takes the biggest loss but shouldn't be too drastic

I do a cut every year for holiday. I use clen and t5. Knocked the gear on the head years ago.
I usually drop about a stone. Last year went down to 15 stone and thats the lowest ive been for donkeys years. I keep protein really high, fat highish and medium carbs.
I can honestly say I haven't really noticed a loss in strength.

Depends on the severity if your caloric deficit. If you go for a slow loss then chances are you won’t lose much, if any at all. If you’re a beginner/intermidiate lifter you may even build a lil muscle.

If you go for big fast loss with an agressive caloric deficit, body will no doubt eat into muscle for fuel and will definitely lose strength.

Keep your protein decent for sure.

My last cut i lost 12.5kg from my bench. 4 weeks into bulk i got it back.

Steroids also have a big part to play.

Your test levels drop dramtically whilst dieting, which is one of the biggest factors regarding lean mass. Even a small dose ( say people on TRT ) have a huge advantage whilst dieting.

This is where a lot of shit advice comes from, people on gear are deluded and forget they are on gear. So go around giving advice saying, go low calories, hiit cardio fasted, low carbs, etc. Doing that natural will destroy your soul.

Depends on the severity if your caloric deficit. If you go for a slow loss then chances are you won’t lose much, if any at all. If you’re a beginner/intermidiate lifter you may even build a lil muscle.

If you go for big fast loss with an agressive caloric deficit, body will no doubt eat into muscle for fuel and will definitely lose strength.

Keep your protein decent for sure.

My last cut i lost 12.5kg from my bench. 4 weeks into bulk i got it back.

Steroids also have a big part to play.

Your test levels drop dramtically whilst dieting, which is one of the biggest factors regarding lean mass. Even a small dose ( say people on TRT ) have a huge advantage whilst dieting.

This is where a lot of shit advice comes from, people on gear are deluded and forget they are on gear. So go around giving advice saying, go low calories, hiit cardio fasted, low carbs, etc. Doing that natural will destroy your soul.
I can’t accept that the bodybuilders at the gym I attend are all roided up. ;) They’re a great set of lads.

It seems like a lot of hassle to me.

The Ultimate Cutting Diet - Devised By Pro Natural Bodybuilder Layne Norton | SimplyShredded.com

Last edited:
I do a cut every year for holiday. I use clen and t5. Knocked the gear on the head years ago.
I usually drop about a stone. Last year went down to 15 stone and thats the lowest ive been for donkeys years. I keep protein really high, fat highish and medium carbs.
I can honestly say I haven't really noticed a loss in strength.
You don't take nothing anymore like? I've thought about t5 but I don't take gear and been told you need gear or it'll burn your muscle away as well.

Just started on Lyle McDonald's Rapid Fat Loss diet.

220g p
minimal carbs and fat.
~950 cals

Living on dry chicken breast and veg. Supplementing with a multi, fish oil and 600mg of Calcium. Hoping to drop 6-8 lbs of fat in 2 weeks.

Been on 5/3/1 program and dropping all accessory work, just gonna do the main compound lifts and try and maintain strength, and therefore lean body mass.

Back