Streaming

Fred

Winger
Does anyone else in here stream?

I'm not in here looking to do a cheap plug for people to watch my content, I'm just curious to how many other people in the region are doing it at the minute and what games people are primarily streaming.

I've literally just started about a week ago and had my first really bad one tonight, where technical difficulties made it extremely difficult for people who were watching. Difficult to get over, especially since I had an insanely good one last night.

How do you fellow streamers combat it when it goes south drastically?

Signed up to Twitch about a year ago with the intention of streaming while playing but so far I haven’t don’t it in case I make a fool of myself.

I think I’m getting old, I just really don’t understand wanting to watch anyone else play a game or why anyone would be interested in watching me play a game 🧐
Same mate. I remember my kid spending more time watching people play Minecraft than playing himself and it was the first time I thought "what the fuck is wrong with kids today". :lol:

I've watched the odd stream on twitch, if I lost a couple of fingers I could still probably count them on my hands.

I'm not in here looking to do a cheap plug for people to watch my content, I'm just curious to how many other people in the region are doing it at the minute and what games people are primarily streaming.

I've literally just started about a week ago and had my first really bad one tonight, where technical difficulties made it extremely difficult for people who were watching. Difficult to get over, especially since I had an insanely good one last night.

Not done it myself but I'm pretty sure someone on here has mentioned he's done it before, might have been @PTR but I could be wrong.

Did post a couple of clips on YouTube a few years back but they never got many views and I soon forgot about it.

I did streaming fairly regularly a couple of times on oldschool nich RPGs
If you're trying to build an audience then it's very hard. You need to keep plugging at it, be regular, be extrovert, interact with the audience and either play games that everyone likes or a niche.

Not done it myself but I'm pretty sure someone on here has mentioned he's done it before, might have been @PTR but I could be wrong.

Did post a couple of clips on YouTube a few years back but they never got many views and I soon forgot about it.
Nah, if I ever get some time to play games, I'm fucked if I'm sharing that with any fucker :lol:

I did streaming fairly regularly a couple of times on oldschool nich RPGs
If you're trying to build an audience then it's very hard. You need to keep plugging at it, be regular, be extrovert, interact with the audience and either play games that everyone likes or a niche.
Yeah I'm going a little bit more mainstream games. Started playing Among Us, Warzone and Phasmophobia, along with playing The Sims 4 with my 7 year old on stream (he'd probably get more viewers than me by himself 😂)

Somehow managed to get 250 followers within 2 weeks, hopefully by just being a daft knacker and having fun and interacting with everyone who talks. That and joining in with bigger streamers and doing collaborations has helped as well.

Having to learn that every stream isn't going to be cupcakes and rainbows though and going to struggle to do this and have a decent work/life balance.
I think I’m getting old, I just really don’t understand wanting to watch anyone else play a game or why anyone would be interested in watching me play a game 🧐
I understand that point of view as well. Until about 6 months ago the thought of watching someone playing a game never really crossed my mind, but then I started watching a guy called StoneMountain64 and just enjoyed it so much that I kept going back and watching his streams daily.

Then I randomly found a guy who has a good following of about 27k, does it full time and was more than willing to help me get started and play games with me while we both stream, and he encourages all his viewers to help me get off the ground.

You don't realise how big it is now until you see how many people are trying to do it and how many viewers some of the small/middle streamers are getting as well.

StoneMoutain64 is the top one and gets around 12k watching regularly and I've once seen 35k watching his stream at one point. Crazy how popular it is, but also crazy how good you have to be at it to get anywhere.

Last edited:

Here's a few reasons that describe the normal habits of 99% of gamers and why they would like to watch someone playing a game on Twitch:
  1. I'm contemplating buying a game, lets see how it really plays. Sometimes these can be more realistic than playthroughs on YT
  2. When we were all younger, we'd sit around and watch mates play Sensible Soccer, FIFA or whatever... same thing.. It doesn't have to be productive or even a mate anymore than watching Eastenders.
  3. Seeing people play niche games that mean a lot to you..
  4. Nostalgia.. on a related subject, people playing old games, especially if you're an old fart like me and remember pixels the size of houses.
  5. The person or team are interesting and it's less about the games. Total Biscuit (RIP Pool lad), Yogcast,
  6. Tits and fanny.
  7. It can be good "background music" if you know what I mean.
  8. Why Twitch v YouTube? Apart from what I mentioned above in #1.. it's "live".. so all of the reasons you'd watch a live TV instead of recorded.

Always wanted to stream but never had the confidence - I think it's a cross between no one would understand my Mackem/Half Irish hybrid accent and the pressures of people watching you play a game.

I don't understand people who don't get it however, Twitch is the future of everything unless said organisations bring out their own streaming platforms - WWE, UFC, DAZN etc - Small indie wrestling companies, racing shows have already made the jump, Arsenal FC have recently begun re-streaming their games there. Even True Geordie's started to make 6 figures from the platform - Not bad for a fat man who made videos about how shit Alan Pardew is etc and people on here used to laugh at him.

Or you can be absolutely shocked at how crazed and dedicated are to an old game - Communities exist out there who are dedicated to beating the world record for a single lap in a course on Mario Kart 64, really! The flavour is generally Super Mario 64 but if you thought you were mint at a game in the past prepare for a reality check compared to these maniacs :D

Love watching a bit of Twitch me. Bit of Asmongold whilst doing my dailies.

Asmongold ffs :D His transmog competitions have me laughing.

Timthetatman is the guy, he's so shit at games but at the same time so hilarious.

It answers the OP post also - You got these 2 guys for example with over 6 million followers each, over £2 mil revenue from 2020 alone each, you need to figure out why people would want to watch you over these guys for example.
You gotta get used to talking to yourself for a good year, and then people will realise you're not 1 of those who's just trying their luck.

Last edited:
Here's a few reasons that describe the normal habits of 99% of gamers and why they would like to watch someone playing a game on Twitch:
  1. I'm contemplating buying a game, lets see how it really plays. Sometimes these can be more realistic than playthroughs on YT
  2. When we were all younger, we'd sit around and watch mates play Sensible Soccer, FIFA or whatever... same thing.. It doesn't have to be productive or even a mate anymore than watching Eastenders.
  3. Seeing people play niche games that mean a lot to you..
  4. Nostalgia.. on a related subject, people playing old games, especially if you're an old fart like me and remember pixels the size of houses.
  5. The person or team are interesting and it's less about the games. Total Biscuit (RIP Pool lad), Yogcast,
  6. Tits and fanny.
  7. It can be good "background music" if you know what I mean.
  8. Why Twitch v YouTube? Apart from what I mentioned above in #1.. it's "live".. so all of the reasons you'd watch a live TV instead of recorded.
I’ve never watched Twitch, but if I was it would be absolutely be #7, I can see it being on in the background whilst I peruse the SMB etc.

Did anyone watch when Sky were rebroadcasting Twitch on their main channels during March lockdown?

The Fifa shit got terrible feedback but the F1 stuff they did was actually welcomed.

some of the f1 drivers stream on twitch pretty regular.

I stream on there from time to time, im not trying to make a job out of it but just to show friends games I am playing. Or as a way to capture footage from the VODs instead of filling my hard drives.

I dont take notice of the chat most of the time but depending on the game you can pick up a few viewers, usually easier playing more obscure games from my experience.

I have a friend who spent a fortune on a full set up to try and make a income from it. Lasted a few months and gave up.

I've been streaming on and off for about 2 and a half years now.

First 12 months or so I went at it real hard streaming 7 days a week after a full day,at work and got myself affiliate and at my peak about 25 subs with 10-12 concurrent viewers.

However massively burnt myself out in the end and took a break for well over a year which is just fucks you and puts you back to zero.

Drop me your link marra, I'll drop by.

I've had my fair share of technical issues and still do if when I stream now as my Internet is shit lol.

You streaming on PC or console?

What issue did you have abs ill certainly try to help as I run on PC with a 2 pc setup.

Back