Strauss and Cook as openers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Form or the fact he is now a few days away from his 35th Birthday and like many players before of far superior ability who reach 35, find their powers on the wane

Can a side with aspirations of maintaining their number one spot with another two tough tours to Asia to come this calendar year be 'carrying' their opening batsman who has posted one test hundred in 2.5 years and counting....

OK then, name someone who can take his place at the top of the order. When Trescothick stopped, Cook was the obvious choice waiting to take his place, at the moment there isn't anyone who you can look to and think, perfect replacement. If there was, maybe you could ask more of a question of Strauss's position in the team.

Like rentaghost pointed out, look at Ponting, if ever there was a reminder of form being temporary, that's it.

OK then, name someone who can take his place at the top of the order. When Trescothick stopped, Cook was the obvious choice waiting to take his place, at the moment there isn't anyone who you can look to and think, perfect replacement. If there was, maybe you could ask more of a question of Strauss's position in the team.Like rentaghost pointed out, look at Ponting, if ever there was a reminder of form being temporary, that's it.

And that is the crux of the issue I am asking the question

I havent said he should be dropped, I am highlight a poor return over a significant period of time, everyone has a bad series now and then

A test average of 41 in this era when you have aspirations of maintaining your number one spot is pretty poor

Canny knock by Ponting I thought.

you watching the cricket again now (seem to recall you hadnt seen much of the first test) or you concentrating on watching the Aussie series

Form or the fact he is now a few days away from his 35th Birthday and like many players before of far superior ability who reach 35, find their powers on the wane

Can a side with aspirations of maintaining their number one spot with another two tough tours to Asia to come this calendar year be 'carrying' their opening batsman who has posted one test hundred in 2.5 years and counting....

I see your point but what I (and others) are trying to say is that he's proved his quality plenty times, let's give him a bit more time to arrest this decline in form. If he has a poor winter and bad start to the summer, maybe that's when the selectors will be faced with a big decision.

I would imagine he's pointing out that in 2004/5 Strauss scored a bucket load of runs against quality bowlers, namely Steyn, Ntini, Pollock, McGrath, Lee and Warne. So the fact that he's not scoring as many now in "an awful era of test cricket with no decent bowlers" is merely down to poor form than lack of ability. Simples.

Glad you have a clue :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back