Strange Noises In The Skies Above Sunderland

It's not the bridge, I first heard the sound before the new bridge was built.

Me and my family have heard this noise loads of times around the Barnes area, day and night, It seems to happening more often lately.

Joking apart about Doxfords having an engine on the testbed - back in the day when we had major industries located in the very centre of Sunderland the noise was immense. The background noise of the shipyards ran along the river from Roker to Southwick and a bit beyond.
Coal mines and railway traffic all added their bit and we got the works buzzers going morning mid day and evening.

Few people under the age of 35 have any real idea what a background industrial noise is like. My view is that folk hear these strange noises these days because they can pick them out from the low level traffic hum but they weren't unusual or strange noises in the old days because they were part of a general constant racket that was simply caused by people and machines.

Last edited:
Walking home from a club in the 70's it used to be great hearing the riveters going (at least I think they were riveters). I used to think, listen to them losers working when they could be clubbing. Sometimes when the wind was in the right direction you could hear them all the way to Redhouse.

Joking apart about Doxfords having an engine on the testbed - back in the day when we had major industries located in the very centre of Sunderland the noise was immense. The background noise of the shipyards ran along the river from Roker to Southwick and a bit beyond.
Coal mines and railway traffic all added their bit and we got the works buzzers going morning mid day and evening.

Few people under the age of 35 have any real idea what a background industrial noise is like. My view is that folk hear these strange noises these days because they can pick them out from the low level traffic hum but they weren't unusual or strange noises in the old days because they were part of a general constant racket that was simply caused by people and machines.
Constant noise from Pyrex. Never noticed it mostly.

I hope it is Aliens coming to annihilate us from our collective insanity.

The Hum has tormented me, in G-Town, for years. Sounds like it comes from the docks. Some nights it's more intense than others. It isn't wind related

It is always windy down at the river

It's the bridge man, only started when it was built.

I was out with the dog next to the river and there wasn't a breath of wind.
As ive said previously I work near the bridge and havnt heard it before. I'd like to think it is the bridge then at least I'd have an answer.

Back