Stockton town centre

Discussion in 'SMB' started by Duracel Funny, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Duracel Funny

Duracel Funny Striker

Spebt an hour there today with some children from my school, taking part in a Xmas carol service. Not been there for many years but was really surprised by its decline, very few shoppers even at this time of year, very few notible high street stores and several undesirables. Genuinely a sad state of affairs.

2. Keith S30S

Keith S30S Inside right Staff Member Contributor

Were you expecting Oxford Street? :)

Stevie Freestein II likes this.
  3. Duracel Funny

Duracel Funny Striker

No not at all but you know a town centre is bad when it doesn’t even have a McDonald’s anymore!

4. SAFCOldie

SAFCOldie Striker

Did you see the steam train tribute:-

5. Kevj

Kevj Winger

Is the pund pub still open?

6. Duracel Funny

Duracel Funny Striker

They had it turned off today for the carol service near the church but I have seen it before, it’s genuinely impressive and surprisingly loud!

I don’t know, I think it shut down. Someone was telling me that they’ve got some great micro pubs near the town to be fair

SAFCOldie likes this.
  7. WCC

WCC Full Back

Used to work over the bridge used to see some interesting characters on a daily basis!

8. Discopants91

Discopants91 Striker

Decline??

Fucking hell.

Pants likes this.
  9. Rainhill

Rainhill Full Back

Some days are really grim in the centre of Stockton. The Walking Dead seem to like a Friday.

Yankee Mackem likes this.
  10. :lol: how could it possibly have gotten worse. Last time I was there about 10 years ago there was a bare knuckle boxing match taking place in the street.

Keawyeds likes this.
  11. EDGE

EDGE Winger

Begins with A and ends in mazon.

bernardbresslaw, 007Iron and zinedine like this.
  12. Duracel Funny

Duracel Funny Striker

:eek:

13. damok666

damok666 Midfield

I took the bairn down to the Animal Adventures place last month just for a little change. She’s just coming up 3 and we got off the train and started walking into the town centre she says ‘Dad, is this the zoo?’ :lol::lol:

14. The Continuing Story

The Continuing Story Central Defender

I actually think it's canny for a small town.

zinedine, Wilfy and SAFCOldie like this.
  15. Tex

Tex Striker

You say that like it’s a bad thing.

Martin F and zinedine like this.
  16. Wilfy

Wilfy Striker

This.

17. EDGE

EDGE Winger

How times change. Pubs were once a sign of moral decline now they are seen as a sign of a bustling and lively town centre.

18. MackneyHackem

MackneyHackem Midfield

Begins with P and ends in overty more like it.

19. EDGE

EDGE Winger

Both.

20. zinedine

zinedine Striker

Is it as bad as Redcar?
    It's a shame the way town centres even small ones like Stockton have declined over the decades. The internet, unemployment, low wages and general poverty are the main reasons. It would help if parking was free and plentiful. Maybe free or very cheap buses from the centres outlying estates would help. It won't happen though.

DurhamRedStripe likes this.