Stirling Castle and Wallace museum

I've been looking at historic Scotland membership and also national trust membership any else a member of either, looks like you can save a canny whack and get in for free to the pricey castles (well £6/month direct debit) I certainly feel they are something we would use
National trust membership covers England n Wales unfortunately not Scotland or that would have been ideal

First year of HS membership gets half price entry to English Heritage and second year membership entitles you to free membership. Not sure if it is the same with EH membership but I would assume so. If you take out HS membership and visit Stirling Castle, Edinburgh Castle and Urquhart Castle (on Loch Ness) then the annual fee has paid for itself.

If you are at Stirling then Blair Drummond Safari Park is well worth a visit. You also are not far from Linlithgow that has an amazing ruin, Linlithgow Palace.
Stirling Castle is my favourite HS site, the amount of history it has is incredible and the restoration work over the last 30 years has been of great benefit for the visitors.

Enjoy your trip - a drive through the Trossachs is well worth it regardless of the weather.

It's an absolute pleasure to drive that road, the only blemish being jimmy savile's former residence.

You can relax, it was demolished a wee while ago.

Last edited:
First year of HS membership gets half price entry to English Heritage and second year membership entitles you to free membership. Not sure if it is the same with EH membership but I would assume so. If you take out HS membership and visit Stirling Castle, Edinburgh Castle and Urquhart Castle (on Loch Ness) then the annual fee has paid for itself.

If you are at Stirling then Blair Drummond Safari Park is well worth a visit. You also are not far from Linlithgow that has an amazing ruin, Linlithgow Palace.
Stirling Castle is my favourite HS site, the amount of history it has is incredible and the restoration work over the last 30 years has been of great benefit for the visitors.

Enjoy your trip - a drive through the Trossachs is well worth it regardless of the weather.

You can relax, it was demolished a wee while ago.

Cheers marra, I think we are definitely going to get the historic Scotland pass as a family of 5 visitin Edinburgh and Stirling castles will have it paid for itself plus there are a few places around the borders and dumfries and Galloway we can do in a day, think we will ad the national trust membership too as there are places in Northumberland for days out we have not been too and would get us in bannockburn battle site free too

Cheers marra, I think we are definitely going to get the historic Scotland pass as a family of 5 visitin Edinburgh and Stirling castles will have it paid for itself plus there are a few places around the borders and dumfries and Galloway we can do in a day, think we will ad the national trust membership too as there are places in Northumberland for days out we have not been too and would get us in bannockburn battle site free too

If you are heading south on the A68 then it is worth stopping off at Drybourgh Abbey. Amazing wee place with hardly any visitors as it is a wee bit of the beaten track. Jedburgh Abbey is also worth a visit (as is the butchers on Jedburgh main street!). D&G have loads of great sites, I once done about a dozen HS sites down that way and my drive back to Midlothian over a long weekend.

HS members also get 20% discount in HS shops. A handy wee saving.

That Glencoe road is staggeringly beautiful.
The road from the green welly

A82 from Loch Lomond all the way up to Inverness is the best drive in the UK fantastic .

Me mate is the postman from fort William to green welly, obs not on foot but in Land Rover, he has no fuckin idea how good a job he has.

Went up to Stirling last year and loved the Wallace monument, it was pretty much gale force winds and you could hear it battering the walls on the way up the tower, the platform at the top was an "experience" in the winds, while no one was around stood shouting "freeeeeeddoomm, nope" just to turn around and see a yank couple laughing at me.

Me mate is the postman from fort William to green welly, obs not on foot but in Land Rover, he has no fuckin idea how good a job he has.

Last time I stayed at the Applecross Inn for a couple of days I got talking to a lad who works out of Kishorn Port.
Delivers seafood across the whole of northwest Scotland six days a week - quite often 12/13 hour shifts.
Best job ever imo :cool:
Hope he retires soon & they have an immediate vacancy :lol:

I've been looking at historic Scotland membership and also national trust membership any else a member of either, looks like you can save a canny whack and get in for free to the pricey castles (well £6/month direct debit) I certainly feel they are something we would use
National trust membership covers England n Wales unfortunately not Scotland or that would have been ideal

We are Scottish national trust members and this covers England so join them, and we are historic Scotland members, was worth it for free entry into Edinburgh castle and the queue jumping there too. With historic Scotland you get 50% off English heritage entry fees in your first year and then free entry after that.

If you're thinking of Oban, it's not a kick up the arse off Glencoe. Spectacular doesn't do it justice. And Mull is just a ferry-ride away.
Back to Stirling castle....I prefered it before it was painted, but there's plenty of history there to keep you amused for a few hours.

On the off chance you like fishing, Loch Etive is a few minutes from Oban.
Spend most of my spare time time at etive with my zziplex bullets.

Did the nc 500 last summer but had to miss out Applecross as I was dragging a caravan. Stunning part of the world.

@tonyfromalnwick you ever want to go to etive giz a pm I'll share marks. Good ones.

Although this time we based on the east coast (musselburgh) in the October half term I'm planning on being based on the west coast oban or troon and some of the hills n lochs will be easier to visit then, but I'm writing everything in my note book to remember and look into, cheers lads
There's much nicer places out on the West to stay than those two like mate.

Spend most of my spare time time at etive with my zziplex bullets
@tonyfromalnwick you ever want to go to etive giz a pm I'll share marks. Good ones.
I've fished the priory and the quarry, both canny marks. Plenty of small spurries to keep you busy, and outstanding scenery.

Inverness to Durness via Ullapool for me.
Invermoriston to Kyle of Lochalsh is mine. Down a hill, turn a corner and Eilean Donan castle is right in front of you !

Last edited:
I've fished the priory and the quarry, both canny marks. Plenty of small spurries to keep you busy, and outstanding scenery.

Invermoriston to Kyle of Lochalsh is mine. Down a hill, turn a corner and Eilean Donan castle is right in front of you !
The church mark is a decent low water mark plus you have the bonus of a toilet in the church (which is never locked) and a fresh water tap round the back. Midweek you can drive through the quarry, about a mile or so turn right and go down a steep track. There is a disused jetty straight into deep water with stairs down to water level for landing biguns. Camped there for 4 days and the only other human I saw went past on a boat. :D

Back