Still the funniest thing ever at an Safc game?

I was at Springfield Park that day.
I was one of many, stood at the top of the mud bank chanting Eddie, Eddie, Eddie, as lads slid, fell, and somersaulted their way down the bank, covered from head to toe in muddy clarts 😅
I'd loved to have had a go, but I travelled to the match in my mates new car, and there's no way I'd have got a lift back, if I'd been covered in clarts.
Incidentally, there was a game going on too, and we conceded a hotly disputed last minute equaliser iirc, to draw 2-2.

Funniest one for me was half time at a Boxing Day match at Roker, maybe early 90s.The half time entertainment was to try and score a goal maybe past the mascot? My memory is fading. But I do remember one young lad in full Santa outfit who scored a goal around the half way line and just sprinted, arms in the air, to The Fullwell End who cheered him all the way.

York City V Sunderland in Division 2, I think it was 74-75. Bootham Crescent was absolutely rammed and at half time they sent police officers around the ground holding a bed sheet, one at each corner, to collect money for charity.
Coming past the away end coins rained down on them, looked like people were trying to knock helmets off like coconuts at a shy. Kids were diving out at the front and picking up anything that missed.
Never seen anything like it before or since.

Last edited:
It definitely happened , perfect trajectory from the main stand onto the back of his head.

Covered his flowing locks with pastry and gravy , there was never much meat in those pies iirc.
See that's how I remember it but some have had me doubting myself, strange what time can do to memories.

Anniversary has passed as it was 12.03.88, but saw this as searching for Supakev's goal v Barnsley.

I was there on a feckin awful afternoon in the rain.

At half time, a roar went up and I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Hilarious and never to be forgotten by those who were there.

And then we got cheated when someone kicked the ball out of Hesfords hands to equalise. All part of being Safc.
My x wife's first ever footy game, she thought we were all mad, but loved the day!

I was at Wigan too that day. We were near the front, on the left of the action as we were "lucky" enough to have got a spot where there was terracing. I will not see a funnier thing at a football match in my lifetime, and stats indicate I have >30 years to live. It was f***ing hilarious. Me and my friend from school still talk about it now.

Back