Stewart Donald masterstroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
After the defeat at Wembley Donald's only plan for the Club was to sell it. He had no plan or strategy for a second season in League One. Parkinson was effectively gifted two months of terrible results to get the team sorted because during that time none of the top clubs in the league were able build up a sizable number of points and take a dominant lead .

Luckily for us this kept things in the top half of the table pretty tight and the number of points that will be required to get automatic promotion or a place in the play offs is still within our means. Had the other teams struck out while we were struggling in November and December we would have been left for dead.
We are in the position we are now despite of Donald not because of him. In any other season we would have be struggling with 80 or so points to get a play off place.

The last get out line for the stragglers who hate being proved wrong.
I hope I am proved wrong cos on Boxing Day I wanted Parkinson out. We were looking down not up. I have no problem eating humble pie because at the minute he’s doing a fantastic job. Sometimes you have to go backwards to move forwards and it’s looking like this is one of those instances.

However if we don’t go up this year it will be because of the bad spell when PP first came in.

Let’s wait and see where we finish before we start deciding who was right or wrong.

I hope I am proved wrong cos on Boxing Day I wanted Parkinson out. We were looking down not up. I have no problem eating humble pie because at the minute he’s doing a fantastic job. Sometimes you have to go backwards to move forwards and it’s looking like this is one of those instances.

However if we don’t go up this year it will be because of the bad spell when PP first came in.

Let’s wait and see where we finish before we start deciding who was right or wrong.

You are wrong and I was also when I thought it was inevitable he would go. If we finish in the play offs and i'm certain we will then hes done a good job. The bad spell when he came in was a result of going through a process of significant change which was necessary. Without that significant change we wouldn't be the far fitter, far more organised and structured side you are seeing now.

You are wrong and I was also when I thought it was inevitable he would go. If we finish in the play offs and i'm certain we will then hes done a good job. The bad spell when he came in was a result of going through a process of significant change which was necessary. Without that significant change we wouldn't be the far fitter, far more organised and structured side you are seeing now.
finishing in the play offs and not going up would be disastrous. lets not reduce expectations so far that a season where we dont get promoted from the third division is somehow acceptable.

Needless to say I didn't ask you.

Who didn't listen to people like me? And without being racist can you explain what 'people like me' are?
People who are usually wrong on most things connected with SAFC. Hope that helps.
Appointing Parkinson when 96% of (Twitter-based) fans flat out didn't want him.

Thank the stars SD knows what he's doing and doesn't listen to the opinions of internet gobshites.

Wish he'd stay, I do.
Its always good to be on the right side of history. ;)

Last edited:
He had to be given another shot after 2 Wembley appearances - in terms of management hire so far Donald has picked the best of what was available and willing

He bottled the 2 Wembley games though, took the strikers off against Pompey and against Charlton we were scared to have a go. He failed to get us up and the performances were poor from the January onwards. He should have lost his job. The players he had available compared to the actual output simply wasn’t good enough.

If we get promoted then you have to hand credit to Donald for making a decison/appointment that has worked.That's what we rely on anyone at the top of a club to do,make more good decisions than poor ones that lead to sucess on the pitch.

Critics will say it was a cheap option (perhaps so) and I personally feel he made it harder for him with the lack of spend in the January window (fans fault iirc).

Parkinson will get the plaudits (and rightly so) IF we get promoted but I'll repeat what I've said before that safc moving forward will be better without Donald who struggles in league 1 nevermind the championship.

He’s not using any of the players he brought in, just saying.

Actually he was using Wright as a starter and is using Lafferty regularly off the bench. Others are being gradually eased into the squad as there's no need to rush.

Anyway that's why I said supplement. Individually each of them may or may not be better who is already in the team, but each of them fit the style more so than those who were already here and occupying the reserve positions.

finishing in the play offs and not going up would be disastrous. lets not reduce expectations so far that a season where we dont get promoted from the third division is somehow acceptable.

It would, but people are hiding behind possibly not getting promoted as a possible stick to beat Parkinson with, whilst also using where we were before he arrived in the league - that ignores that changes had to be made and it's unlikely Ross would have sustained the position as the performances were largely rank outside of the cups and we were allover the shop as a team, still with an overreliance on McGeady who hasn't been in form since March.

Not going up would be awful, but big strides have been made since Parkinson came in and people are wrong to ignore it.

Fair play to Parkinson mind, in December it looked like the gamble on him had completely failed and he could have had no complaints if he'd been sacked. Now we're flying. Not many recover from a start like the one he had.

Appointing Parkinson when 96% of (Twitter-based) fans flat out didn't want him.

Thank the stars SD knows what he's doing and doesn't listen to the opinions of internet gobshites.

Wish he'd stay, I do.
Hindsight says the he's a good appointment , I think the owners (and we) got lucky, I will give SD credit for backing him mind, even to the extent of letting him sign Smith in the last couple of days, he didn't have to tbf.

What a crock of shit. Ross should have been peddled straight after the playoff final, so he gets no praise from me. He's got lucky that Parkinson is doing the business.

He bottled the 2 Wembley games though, took the strikers off against Pompey and against Charlton we were scared to have a go. He failed to get us up and the performances were poor from the January onwards. He should have lost his job. The players he had available compared to the actual output simply wasn’t good enough.

He said lose his job

At times yes, at other times no......Second to none? Have a word with yourself, a laughable nonsense statement.

Yes, second to none. Not better than everyone else, just top drawer with a few others. L1 club, top half of the PL support. That is my opinion, but then you never could respect anyone else’s views.

@fyl2u are you planning on replying? Being so pedantic and ‘misquoted’ that you claim happens a lot. If you have replied I’ve not seen it so apologies if that’s the case.

IIRC, SD followed up that quote of yours with "That's the deal we've agreed with Ellis" or words to that effect. As far as I'm concerned it's a bit like if someone asked me how much I bought my house for, me saying "£75,000" even though it was mortgaged for the majority of that. Their deal was £40m. Short originally wanted it all up front but after realising the club finances weren't exactly as they had been portrayed by Short, the new owners rearranged it to pay in 4 installments: £15m up front, £5m after a year, £10m after two years and £10 after three years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back