Stewart Donald, has just offered to visit me dad at home

You know, SD has always said he'll take the flak with the smooth, and be answerable when things are going wrong, plenty of time for that. I just hope people don't get ahead of themselves hoping the owners should be taking us to 10th in the Premier in a few years.

To acknowledge supporters in the local community like this is something he didn't have to do but wants to. It's a great mentality and long may it continue :cool:

That’s a great gesture which will be genuinely appreciated I’m sure.

I tweeted earlier about how I was going to bite the bullet and go myself, I tagged him and sunderland in (first time, just as a way of showing support).
I’m not easily gobsmacked but I got this tweet in reply

“Fantastic. I am sure we could organise a visit to him if he can’t make it to us - if you think it is possible. Just send me a DM and if there is anything u would like us to do we will try. Thank him from me for his support. I can try and pop and see him before the game Sunday ?”

There will always be debate about intentions, money, motives. But this is something he just didn’t have to do.
This is a personal side to football I thought had gone.
Fantastic stuff Janey. Wonderful gesture from 'our' chairman and club.

I know "going above and beyond" is a favorite marketing/customer service buzz-phrase but this is genuinely way more than anyone would have expected from SD.

As @janey rightly says, we all bemoan the loss of the personal in modern football so when someone goes out of their way to honor a life-long fan on such an individual level it's just wonderful to see.

There's a long road to walk on our way back as far as on the field stuff is concerned but the way the club runs now off the pitch is a total reversal of the previous lot.

When Methven said something along the lines of, "It's remarkable how often doing things right off the pitch bring about success on it" it made me thing they were genuinely serious. There are owners that come in, we had one, and chuck a load of cash about and think that's that. Spending time getting the foundations in place is going to benefit us long term.

When Methven said something along the lines of, "It's remarkable how often doing things right off the pitch bring about success on it" it made me thing they were genuinely serious. There are owners that come in, we had one, and chuck a load of cash about and think that's that. Spending time getting the foundations in place is going to benefit us long term.

Yep. If the owner doesn't care about the club, how can the players and staff be expected to? Letting the stadium fall to bits, cutting off all communication with the fans aside from a few half-arsed attempts at marketing campaigns, leaving the country and letting someone else handle the whole mess, etc created a horrible atmosphere.

The new owners have made some great progress in correcting a lot of this by listening and acting where they are able. We need a few wins to galvanize the good team spirit and morale among the fans and we could be in for a great season. The reaction of the crowd to Charlton's goal was very encouraging.....haven't heard that defiant roar when we concede for a long time.

Lovely to hear Janey.

Hope you have a big garden though and you do a decent burger and a pint. Somebody better let Scunthorpe know the venue is changing.

Fantastic but he knows how famous you and your Dad are so I’m not surprised he wants to pop in :)

Exactly. Janey is so famous, I am surprised she has time to give to C list people like our new owner. Have you not got another premier to go to lass?

PS - That's top stuff from the owner to be fair and good luck to My Janey senior.

Last edited:
TBF I reckon SD will have to listen first! The elder statesmen of Roker take rank :cool:
Absolutely, me dad can give him lessons since forever :)

Lovely to hear Janey.

Hope you have a big garden though and you do a decent burger and a pint. Somebody better let Scunthorpe know the venue is changing.
Ha ha so you are all rocking up at me mam and dad’s, I could live with that :)

Exactly. Janey is so famous, I am surprised she has time to give to C list people like our new owner. Have you not got another premier to go to lass?

PS - That's top stuff from the owner to be fair and good luck to My Janey senior.
It’s brilliant stuff.

Last edited:

Back