Stewart Donald’s latest tweet

Barcelona are an example of a commitment culture, I'm saying that we are basing the values we expect from people who join the club on similar things to Barcelona. As in the link, their values are stated as respect, humility, teamwork, effort and respect. It's not some culture that no other organisation strives for but it is different from some. I'd say the attitude the owners have, the requiring managers and any future investors to live in the area, signing players who have been captains, expecting players to relish the community side of things, going for hard working players etc, the things we are looking for in players and staff are similar to the things they look for. As an example, of the five types of culture noted here Company culture, the FC Barcelona way - Hyperion Executive Search I think we are deliberately targeting a culture similar to the one Barcelona have introduced and I think the owners are determined that, long term, it will lead to success
If we are I don't see. It looks like they are trying to run a big club in the old fashioned way before BSkyB.

My local club Bohemians are ran like a community club and this here is nothing like it.

If we are I don't see. It looks like they are trying to run a big club in the old fashioned way before BSkyB.

My local club Bohemians are ran like a community club and this here is nothing like it.

You don't see that they have prioritised signing hard working players who seem to have humility and respect, work hard and are good team players? I'd say the likes of O'Nien and Power exemplify that. Dobson seems another from the same mould. The fact that Baldwin was a captain suggests he likely has similar traits, Loovens was seen as a good pro. Gooch is like that and has remained a part of the side, I'm sure Willis was praised for his attitude prior to joining as well. For all his faults the manager seems very hard working, fairly humble. The attitudes of pretty much every player have been widely praised, I can only think of Maguire who maybe stands out as an outlier in that regard. The fact we haven't gone for Maddison (much though I'd like him here) might be due to money, or it might be because he doesn't fit the culture they want to create here.

Proper decisions - Reducing 35m losses, dealing with disruptive want away players, visiting fans, spending more than all our rivals, getting investment, clearing court cases (7). improvements needed & mistakes made sure but I can assure u I won’t stop till I get it right 4 u all

He’s working hard behind the scenes.

Hawayyy the Don :cool:
Used to agree with this...and applauded it..but there is a middle ground most people do not (understandbly) seem aware of or fully understand. This monster is called ROI or in financial terms...shorting (manipulating) your own self governing/affecting market. The theory being short term medium/high term investment elevates the invested entity into a higher level (eg League 1 to Championship
Used to agree with this...and applauded it..but there is a middle ground most people do not (understandbly) seem aware of or fully understand. This monster is called ROI or in financial terms...shorting (manipulating) your own self governing/affecting market. The theory being short term medium/high term investment elevates the invested entity into a higher level (eg League 1 to Championship and altinvst to ftse...the money has run out...SD knows this...And we are back to Short...non or incompetent football people making football decisions and mediocre (ir unproven) business people making business decisions.

Last edited:
You don't see that they have prioritised signing hard working players who seem to have humility and respect, work hard and are good team players? I'd say the likes of O'Nien and Power exemplify that. Dobson seems another from the same mould. The fact that Baldwin was a captain suggests he likely has similar traits, Loovens was seen as a good pro. Gooch is like that and has remained a part of the side, I'm sure Willis was praised for his attitude prior to joining as well. For all his faults the manager seems very hard working, fairly humble. The attitudes of pretty much every player have been widely praised, I can only think of Maguire who maybe stands out as an outlier in that regard. The fact we haven't gone for Maddison (much though I'd like him here) might be due to money, or it might be because he doesn't fit the culture they want to create here.
No. I see us signing players because they are good League One players. We have a good squad but we can't make a team out of them. If you take Barcelona as an example they you know that they sign players to suit their style of play. Academy players play the same way as the first team. They have a designed system to identify players attributes which commitment is only one.

Hard work is all well and good but in the modern game you need more.

No. I see us signing players because they are good League One players. We have a good squad but we can't make a team out of them. If you take Barcelona as an example they you know that they sign players to suit their style of play. Academy players play the same way as the first team. They have a designed system to identify players attributes which commitment is only one.

Hard work is all well and good but in the modern game you need more.

Aye but I'm not talking about style of play though, I'm talking about the culture of the organisation (which includes players all the way through staff, owners etc). You could have a commitment culture whilst also targeting players who suit the style of play the manager wants (which I agree we haven't really done), I'm talking about the nature/ attitude of the people the owners want in the club, not the style of play

Bin called way worse than that :lol:
:lol:

Now to clarify a few points...

Of course managing a football team is harder than it looks from the stands, but I feel we're making things difficult for ourselves. I merely suggested an alternative in where we need to recruit, a formation the players are more comfortable with, and picking the best players on match day.

No, culturally isn't "too hard for me". I fully understand what is meant by the culture of a club, and ok, perhaps the culture at Sunderland was broken. But then again, I'm not entirely sure what the culture of Sunderland AFC is meant to be. Has it ever been defined? It's certainly not written down anywhere. It seemed to me though you were suggesting it's been fixed by the new owners, something I thought laughable. Footballing wise, there's bugger all fixed as far as I can see. And as for mentioning the infamous Rotten Core - ha'way man, the fact that that bullshit ever gained traction is indeed something that's culturally wrong at this football club.

As for Bury - ok, you meant in terms of admin. I just find it a lazy comparison by a number of people to compare our (hypothetical) situation to that of Bury or Bolton, so it was a general comment rather than a dig at your post. I use brackets there because administration for us never came to pass - at least not yet. And I'm not sure how much of a threat it really was - my guess is that it wasn't much of a threat at all. Short for all his faults made sure that SBC debt was sorted out, he identified the monies and set the parameters by which it would be paid. I think that would have happened regardless of Stewart Donald's involvement. Hope that's not too hard for you. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers for the clarification,

Of course managing a football team is harder than it looks from the stands, but I feel we're making things difficult for ourselves. I merely suggested an alternative in where we need to recruit, a formation the players are more comfortable with, and picking the best players on match day.

No, culturally isn't "too hard for me". I fully understand what is meant by the culture of a club, and ok, perhaps the culture at Sunderland was broken. But then again, I'm not entirely sure what the culture of Sunderland AFC is meant to be. Has it ever been defined? It's certainly not written down anywhere. It seemed to me though you were suggesting it's been fixed by the new owners, something I thought laughable. Footballing wise, there's bugger all fixed as far as I can see. And as for mentioning the infamous Rotten Core - ha'way man, the fact that that bullshit ever gained traction is indeed something that's culturally wrong at this football club.

As for Bury - ok, you meant in terms of admin. I just find it a lazy comparison by a number of people to compare our (hypothetical) situation to that of Bury or Bolton, so it was a general comment rather than a dig at your post. I use brackets there because administration for us never came to pass - at least not yet. And I'm not sure how much of a threat it really was - my guess is that it wasn't much of a threat at all. Short for all his faults made sure that SBC debt was sorted out, he identified the monies and set the parameters by which it would be paid. I think that would have happened regardless of Stewart Donald's involvement. Hope that's not too hard for you. ;)
In turn here’s mine FWIW

Don’t disagree on the team, results have been so variable so far this season it’s difficult to tell from the stands what’s going on. I was really disappointed against Oxford, the formation three at the back and then a really poor first half. At least in the second half we pressed a bit but overall ...

Then last night different formation different players and I was surprised and pleased.

On the culture point, I know you get it and my point about the rotten core is not a belief in a conspiracy theory but just knowing we had a bunch of highly paid players not up for it and with the experience to be a really poor influence on new and younger players.

Culture for me is behajviour, full stop. That’s how England won the rugby World Cup in 2003 by being clear what was and what was not acceptable player behaviour and most importantly heavily sanctioning poor behaviour, usually by not picking the player.

Bury is that there is a real chance sorry to say they will go out of business. I think when we were relegated the second time there was a chance of Short cutting his losses and leaving us facing the same sort of challenge. I don’t know the rules of administration for footy clubs, given the value of the crowd and the stadium someone would have bought in for a song but then maybe you have to start in the Conference, no idea.

Anyway, sorry for the long reply but you went to the trouble so I thought I should too.

I reckon we are in violent agreement, haway the board!!

I do think there was a business culture problem at safc (dont know on the football side0 ajd i do think the owners have fixed it on the buisness side..if there is a cultural problem on the football side, in no way can they be said to have fixed it, and indeed with some of ther actions have just completely bought into it..

I do think there was a business culture problem at safc (dont know on the football side0 ajd i do think the owners have fixed it on the buisness side..if there is a cultural problem on the football side, in no way can they be said to have fixed it, and indeed with some of ther actions have just completely bought into it..

By blowing their load in January?

no..the facts will be established then...my opinion will be refective of those..we need several players...

same as my view of the onwers has chnaged draatically for the negative in recent months..but you cant see that..,

You're a bit like your mates - just saying something doesn't make it true. You pop up on here at any hint of criticism then throw in a token critique to try and convince people. Doesn't work.

Back