Steve Cram

Where would he stand in a list of great sportspeople from the north east? Had a absolute majestic running style when in full flow. Had a superb year in 1985 with a couple of world records. Huge shame he never won Olympic gold to complete the set to go with his World, European and commonwealth golds

Are you feeling a bit low today Steve ?
Never mind we still love you !

Athletics wise I’d argue Jonathan Edwards is slightly above Cram, but he’s right up there, still canny quick now in fairness.

EDIT - ignore me, he just lived up here for a bit.

Last edited:
Athletics wise I’d argue Jonathan Edwards is slightly above Cram, but he’s right up there, still canny quick now in fairness.

EDIT - ignore me, he just lived up here for a bit.

Yeah, Edwards moved to the north east for university (Durham). His triple jump record still stands after almost 26 years.

Cram is certainly the best athlete the north east has produced. Not sure how to compare him with people from other sports.

I used to go running at Monkton Stadium when I was a kid and he was always there with David Sharpe and another runner from up here who I can't remember his name.

Mad how close you could get to them back then compared to today.

I loved my athletics back then but because he was a MLF, Crammy was always one of my favourites. Mind he did turn out for Coventry in the celebrity 87 FA Cup Final

I used to go running at Monkton Stadium when I was a kid and he was always there with David Sharpe and another runner from up here who I can't remember his name.

Mad how close you could get to them back then comparep
I used to look out my bedroom window at Carnegie and see Tessa Sanderson training with Wilf Paish most days. There was another lad who did quite well at the javelin - Mike Batley??

One of my mates was a decent 400m hurdler. Ran an invitational with Ed Moses once (coolest athlete ever!). Good enough to represent England in the Commonwealth Games in NZ. He absolutely refused to do any drugs so was always gonna struggle. Steve Hawkins. Good lad.

In Houston I used to see Carl Lewis all the time. He used to train at the university where I worked and came back to coach the track team after he retired.

Last edited:

Back