Steve Cram

Just walked past him at the start of the half mara. Youngest looking 60 year old I've ever seen. Looks about 35

I was out for a bike ride about 3:30 when I passed him just North of the Wearmouth bridge. He was helping to collect/stack the barriers and put them on the back of a truck. Agreed re: age. I thought about stopping for a selfie but decided against it on the basis of the recent Harrison Ford debacle and the fact he never pulled my letter out in the lottery for an '85 cup final ticket (I really need to let that one go).

I was out for a bike ride about 3:30 when I passed him just North of the Wearmouth bridge. He was helping to collect/stack the barriers and put them on the back of a truck. Agreed re: age. I thought about stopping for a selfie but decided against it on the basis of the recent Harrison Ford debacle and the fact he never pulled my letter out in the lottery for an '85 cup final ticket (I really need to let that one go).
He looked like he was grafting in his high vis. As for the ticket. If we won then aye I'd hate him till my last breathe but we didn't so yeah he saved you a shit journey home. Probably time to let it go

He looked like he was grafting in his high vis. As for the ticket. If we won then aye I'd hate him till my last breathe but we didn't so yeah he saved you a shit journey home. Probably time to let it go

I got a spare from a friend anyway but those days of uncertainty were crushing. I even called up the Night Owls (first time caller here Alan) trying to get hold of one.

I was a huge Cram fan when I was a kid like. Used to actually go out for runs in a vest and shorts at like 7 and 8 years old because I wanted to be like him ,😂

I do wonder now about that period of British dominance in middle distance running in the 80s.

I'd prefer to think it was just that we developed an elite cluster who pushed each other, set examples for each other and so on. That can definitely happen in sport.

On the other hand we know that doping was pretty rampant in the 80s, so you are kind of naturally suspicious of anyone who was winning and the chances of one country being so dominant and setting records that would last for years.

I don't think there's ever been allegations against any of them and Cram is particularly vocal when it comes to anti-doping, it's a shame that the cheating of some can cause doubts about everyone else, but as I say looking back it is extraordinary how well we did and it does cause you to wonder a bit.

I think it was just the case that we had some examples of people like Moorcroft setting the template for people like Cram and Coe to follow, then in turn people like Cram inspiring little kids like me to go out and run and nice virtuous circle kept going for a while.

none apart from the fact that Seb Coe's doctor was the infamous Dr Conconi - aka the father of blood doping

Back