Steve Cram

Mark H

Both hugely talented local runners

I used to work with Mark in Gosforth. When in training for the comenwealth games he'd go for a 7 mile run, have a shower at home and eat his lunch then come back to work, all comfortably during his one hour lunch break.

Iirc Mark and his brother were good pals of Mark Maley's.
Morpeth Harriers?
Mark and Ian of Morpeth is who I thought as Ian has won the Blaydon a few times but guess I could be barking up the wrong tree

Last edited:
Where would he stand in a list of great sportspeople from the north east? Had a absolute majestic running style when in full flow. Had a superb year in 1985 with a couple of world records. Huge shame he never won Olympic gold to complete the set to go with his World, European and commonwealth golds

Ran past me early 2000s in hebburn like the effing wind.

Used to see him in the early/mid 80's jogging down York Avenue in Jarrow and through Fellgate when he'd been winnng a race on the telly a few nights previous.

I used to work with Mark in Gosforth. When in training for the comenwealth games he'd go for a 7 mile run, have a shower at home and eat his lunch then come back to work, all comfortably during his one hour lunch break.

Mark and Ian of Morpeth is who I thought as Ian has won the Blaydon a few times but guess I could be barking up the wrong tree
Wrong tree , you on about hudspith brothers

I’m on about Sunderland harriers

Superb runner in his day, absolutely World Class and top of the tree. On the odd occasion he lost, his head would start to go side to side, when that happened you knew it was over.
He had a super kick for home.

The whole Oregon thing a couple of years ago changed my view somewhat, I don’t think he came across too well.

Superb runner in his day though.

I used to look out my bedroom window at Carnegie and see Tessa Sanderson training with Wilf Paish most days. There was another lad who did quite well at the javelin - Mike Batley??

One of my mates was a decent 400m hurdler. Ran an invitational with Ed Moses once (coolest athlete ever!). Good enough to represent England in the Commonwealth Games in NZ. He absolutely refused to do any drugs so was always gonna struggle. Steve Hawkins. Good lad.

In Houston I used to see Carl Lewis all the time. He used to train at the university where I worked and came back to coach the track team after he retired.
Agree about Moses Tex. Although Michael Johnson runs him close (no pun intended)

Ian taught Mark Maley at St Cuthberts

Fellow Jarovian Steve Cram, breaking the world record and beating the legend Said Ouieta back in 85 whilst wearing a Jarrow vest was incredible and inspiring.

Outstanding that like. Great to hear David Coleman and Ron Pickering on commentary too. Legends.

I was a huge Cram fan when I was a kid like. Used to actually go out for runs in a vest and shorts at like 7 and 8 years old because I wanted to be like him ,😂

I do wonder now about that period of British dominance in middle distance running in the 80s.

I'd prefer to think it was just that we developed an elite cluster who pushed each other, set examples for each other and so on. That can definitely happen in sport.

On the other hand we know that doping was pretty rampant in the 80s, so you are kind of naturally suspicious of anyone who was winning and the chances of one country being so dominant and setting records that would last for years.

I don't think there's ever been allegations against any of them and Cram is particularly vocal when it comes to anti-doping, it's a shame that the cheating of some can cause doubts about everyone else, but as I say looking back it is extraordinary how well we did and it does cause you to wonder a bit.

I think it was just the case that we had some examples of people like Moorcroft setting the template for people like Cram and Coe to follow, then in turn people like Cram inspiring little kids like me to go out and run and nice virtuous circle kept going for a while.
He’ll love reading that if he reads this forum.

World record holder for ages. Doesn’t he still have the British record? Top role model.

Outstanding that like. Great to hear David Coleman and Ron Pickering on commentary too. Legends.

was unbelievable at the time. I was around 8 years old and top sportsman lived in another world.
Seeing though this fella who I used to see out running and at the Metupa doing this on live tele in jarrow colours was just mind blowing

Back