Steve Cram

Saw him at Gateshead Stadium when he was in his prime. He was just in front of me and I was amazed at the length of his stride just in warm-up.
Its different altogether seeing them live compared to the telly. The pole vaulters and high jumpers are unreal.

Mightve won an Olympic medal but has he won penshaw hill race and the blaydon race in the same year? Nor. Me bro has though :cool:

In all seriousness though, I’d have a lot more respect if he wasn’t so far up Brendan Fosters arsehole.

Great lad Crammy though. Does a lot for the sport in the area.

I was a huge Cram fan when I was a kid like. Used to actually go out for runs in a vest and shorts at like 7 and 8 years old because I wanted to be like him ,😂

I do wonder now about that period of British dominance in middle distance running in the 80s.

I'd prefer to think it was just that we developed an elite cluster who pushed each other, set examples for each other and so on. That can definitely happen in sport.

On the other hand we know that doping was pretty rampant in the 80s, so you are kind of naturally suspicious of anyone who was winning and the chances of one country being so dominant and setting records that would last for years.

I don't think there's ever been allegations against any of them and Cram is particularly vocal when it comes to anti-doping, it's a shame that the cheating of some can cause doubts about everyone else, but as I say looking back it is extraordinary how well we did and it does cause you to wonder a bit.

I think it was just the case that we had some examples of people like Moorcroft setting the template for people like Cram and Coe to follow, then in turn people like Cram inspiring little kids like me to go out and run and nice virtuous circle kept going for a while.

Last edited:
Yeah, Edwards moved to the north east for university (Durham). His triple jump record still stands after almost 26 years.

Cram is certainly the best athlete the north east has produced. Not sure how to compare him with people from other sports.

Stephen Miller....
Steve is the Jarra Arra

The legend of Metupa

Do you know how the Metupa got its name?
Steve is the Jarra Arra

The legend of Metupa

Do you know how the Metupa got its name?

Mightve won an Olympic medal but has he won penshaw hill race and the blaydon race in the same year? Nor. Me bro has though :cool:

In all seriousness though, I’d have a lot more respect if he wasn’t so far up Brendan Fosters arsehole.

Great lad Crammy though. Does a lot for the sport in the area.
Brian R?

I’d say Cram is arguably the greatest north east sportsman ever.
He was a magnificent athlete, I mean he was jousting in Coe and Ovett with the greatest of all time.
He was unlucky a couple times in big championships with injuries and wasn’t quite at his best.
At his best he could beat anyone, but overall Coe would have to go down as the greatest ever.
He was quite remarkable, that 800 metres record was unreal.

Mike McCleod was a great runner too but gets forgotten. Remember the excitement of Big Bren when I was 9 and 10. Crammy was a great athlete but seemed to have a lot of injuries. I hated and still do, Coe so anyone who beat him was sound.

There have been so many great footballers and cricketers from the north east I think there are a few ahead of Cram

Back