Sterling & Gomez Bust Up

So all in all i think we can agree with some sort of certain point of view that in fact looking at it, from long term point of view its been a good decision all round, and in the future it may assist the national team going forwards, and given its not a game against a Spain or Brazil or France etc, that the players within the side who can play, Sterling's position may be taken up by one of them, or a formation change and young maddison finally gets his debut he's been working so hard in the league for, for example of course.

Let's not be sniffy here - this is a must-win game. Win this and the one on Thursday is the dead rubber, not this one. And Sterling is our best player.

I also think its risky because it unleashes another media feeding frenzy on our best player and this could have a lasting impact given his tribulations with them. We have to be careful with Sterling, he's our best asset.

I don't like discipline in the media glare. If he wanted to punish Sterling then he could have just dropped him and said "tactics". Or "resting him". And kept it all in-house. Especially as it seems like the players are taking a good amount of responsibility for themselves.

Let's not be sniffy here - this is a must-win game. Win this and the one on Thursday is the dead rubber, not this one. And Sterling is our best player.

I also think its risky because it unleashes another media feeding frenzy on our best player and this could have a lasting impact given his tribulations with them. We have to be careful with Sterling, he's our best asset.

I don't like discipline in the media glare. If he wanted to punish Sterling then he could have just dropped him and said "tactics". Or "resting him". And kept it all in-house. Especially as it seems like the players are taking a good amount of responsibility for themselves.

Having said that, if I were Southgate and were privy to the knowledge the media were going to get stuck in anyway, then I might do as he has done, because then his strategy becomes the most effective (albeit imperfect) way to draw a line under it.

May i remind you of the above ^, for me now both player and manager have told us what happened we found out a little more a line drawn under it, and their is other players to come in and start the game.

I would only do that if the media had already found out about it. If they hadn't, I'd keep in house. Don't you get my point?

Well how do we know the media wouldn't of found out about it, maybe southgate got word the media were going to print with it and decided to get out ahead of it, in the end we don't know apart from what we have seen, and i do see your point, maybe other times have been kept in house but maybe this time is the exception to the rule which is my point.

Well how do we know the media wouldn't of found out about it, maybe southgate got word the media were going to print with it and decided to get out ahead of it, in the end we don't know apart from what we have seen, and i do see your point, maybe other times have been kept in house but maybe this time is the exception to the rule which is my point.

That's literally what I said.

Not really the same thing though is it.

I think you're being a bit of a fanny to be honest.

If anything it’s a much more competitive atmosphere with higher stakes/reward.

I think you’re resorting to name calling as you can’t justify his actions/what you wanted Southgate to do.

Last edited:
I agree re Henderson but Sterling has attacked one of his teammates, that’s not acceptable in any walk of life.

Shows an appalling lack of discipline which could effect the team in big games.
I seen Bally punch Gordon Armstrong a few times at the Charlie Hurley Centre ... Grow a pair man

Back