Sterling & Gomez Bust Up

Southgate wants sacked for this.
Wilder in.
You’ve spelt Parkinson wrang marra.
Even leaving the radio and media reports aside, despite the fact that Raheem Sterling has apologised for his actions, despite the fact that Gareth Southgate confirmed that dropping Sterling was a decision that the squad agreeed with, some people on here are dismissing the views of the only people who witnessed the incident and are blaming a "scouse kernt" who comes from South London.

There's also a narrative from some of "you can't do that, he's our best player", an attitude that really paid dividends in the Golden (shower) Generation era.

Time was when Sunderland supporters had a well deserved reputation for being knowledgeable not only about the club but football in general. There's a few people on this forum who have torn it to shreds with their idiocy.
.....I’m amazed none have advocated sending Henderson home and replacing him with Colback.

Last edited:

If I was sterling I'd just retire from the England squad, not worth the hassle and grief.
May as well give Henderson the captains armband now by this report. Class act!!

Imagine the scenes of sterling and gomez getting a telling off on the phone like 2 kids and a man.

Gomez was caught on camera several times during the city game trying to wind Sterling up

Different when it's international duty though so Sterling should've just walked away

The media hate Sterling so no doubt they'll go massively overboard and blow this all out of proportion

If I was Sterling I'd probably be wondering if it's worth the hassle if the media do get on his back over this
It could possibly a build up of stuff prior to the Sunday game, who knows. Many will know there are times you eventually just lose it for a brief moment even over something trivial if it's not the first time. At least 2 England players wound up Sterling on Sunday, there was this tit for tat with Gomez like below.

I saw Robertson do this below late in the game to Walker and earlier Alexander-Arnold had done similar but pushing harder and later on Sterling on the other side yet nowt happened. Both Walker and Sterling didn't react in the way some players would given there's not much room to stop and it could cause injury yet Liverpool fans class this as Robertson getting in Walker's head! :oops:

No doubt the handball before Liverpool's goal narked Sterling given he was there waiting for the pass but there was also Mane's subtle push to knock him off balance a bit (aye he drops like a sack of shit to emphasise it)

Last edited by a moderator:
May as well give Henderson the captains armband now by this report. Class act!!

This backs up my view that Southgate needn't have dropped Sterling. The lads have sorted this out themselves. Everyone has apologised, Hendo has shown his leadership and everyone should just move on. Instead, Southgate has activated the media.

So despite Southgate saying Sterling was at fault, Sterling saying he was at fault and the official statement saying Sterling was at fault, people on here think well known “Scouse c**t” Joe Gomez (who is from London) is to blame?

And not to mention the obligatory wacky jokes about how Liverpool are never to blame?
The replies on here were inevitable, quite pathetic really.

Even leaving the radio and media reports aside, despite the fact that Raheem Sterling has apologised for his actions, despite the fact that Gareth Southgate confirmed that dropping Sterling was a decision that the squad agreeed with, some people on here are dismissing the views of the only people who witnessed the incident and are blaming a "scouse kernt" who comes from South London.

There's also a narrative from some of "you can't do that, he's our best player", an attitude that really paid dividends in the Golden (shower) Generation era.

Time was when Sunderland supporters had a well deserved reputation for being knowledgeable not only about the club but football in general. There's a few people on this forum who have torn it to shreds with their idiocy.

Because they have a differing opinion from you it is therefore idiocy? You obviously hold your own opinion in very high regard.

Rio Ferdinand has come out and hit the nail on the head for me and I dont say that very often:

Rio Ferdinand 🗣"Gareth has handled being England manager brilliantly - up to this point...However, I feel this incident could've been handled better. Keep it behind closed doors & deal with it internally surely?! Now Raheem is left to defend himself from all of the haters that had had their keyboards turned off due to him becoming a very worthy ambassador for the English game, and rightly so."

Also now being reported by The Times that Southgate banished him and then changed his mind when Sterling was already driving home.

Because they have a differing opinion from you it is therefore idiocy? You obviously hold your own opinion in very high regard.

Rio Ferdinand has come out and hit the nail on the head for me and I dont say that very often:

Rio Ferdinand 🗣"Gareth has handled being England manager brilliantly - up to this point...However, I feel this incident could've been handled better. Keep it behind closed doors & deal with it internally surely?! Now Raheem is left to defend himself from all of the haters that had had their keyboards turned off due to him becoming a very worthy ambassador for the English game, and rightly so."

Also now being reported by The Times that Southgate banished him and then changed his mind when Sterling was already driving home.

“Also now being reported..”

And therein lies the reason that this couldn’t have been handled ‘internally’. It’s almost impossible to keep it under wraps. There are press effectively imbedded in the England camp. They are at every briefing, every training session, in the hotels, everywhere.

Why doesn’t it matter? That doesn’t make sense mate.

If Gomez literally did nothing wrong (whilst with the England squad), why should he be disciplined?
They were both at fault Gomez for goading and Sterling for reacting. It would have been better keeping it in house and issuing each player with a warning.

“Also now being reported..”

And therein lies the reason that this couldn’t have been handled ‘internally’. It’s almost impossible to keep it under wraps. There are press effectively imbedded in the England camp. They are at every briefing, every training session, in the hotels, everywhere.

Let the media speculate. Southgate can then respond saying weve dealt with any incident internally. Sterling didn't need throwing to the wolves by his own manager. I cant recall ever seeing a training ground altercation handled that way actually.

Im a big fan of sterling but he was out of order in the way he acted up , you dont do that on England duty
Southgate is bang on here no one is bigger than the country
Some of the press and media are looking for anything to bash England with

They were both at fault Gomez for goading and Sterling for reacting. It would have been better keeping it in house and issuing each player with a warning.
If i'm being honest i couldn't care much either way but where are you getting it from that Gomez goaded him?

Back