Stellaris

Console version? :eek:

Christ, how will that work?

Paradox Grand Strategy games are absolutely amazing, but I can't see them porting to console particularly easily.

I've never played it on the PC mate so I can't really compare, but I'm impressed. I always think games like this work better with a mouse, but the controls are spot on.

There's a multiplayer option as well,I haven't tried that yet, but could be class with mates as there's an optiom to make alliances.

Last edited:
I've never played it on the PC mate so I can't really compare, but I'm impressed. I always think games like this work better with a mouse, but the controls are spot on.

There's a multiplayer option as well,I haven't tried that yet, but could be class with mates as there's an optiom to make alliances.

Have you played any of Paradox's other Grand Strategy games?

I think I've played them all so far (or at least one from each series, I should say) :

Crusader Kings 2
Hearts Of Iron 3
Europa Universalis 3 & 4
Victoria 2
...and most recently Stellaris.

They're all similar-but-different-enough-to-be-clearly-different-games if that makes sense.

If you've learned to play one, you'll pick up any of the others pretty quickly compared with the first one you learn.

CK2 was the first one I played, and I'd put about 200 hours into playing it and watching YouTube videos explaining it before I finally decided I understood what the game was about. :lol:

After that the rest came to me pretty easily.

Stellaris is probably one of the easiest ones to get to grips with I reckon.

Victoria 2 is probably my favourite, but they're all outstanding games.

I think I've played them all so far (or at least one from each series, I should say) :

Crusader Kings 2
Hearts Of Iron 3
Europa Universalis 3 & 4
Victoria 2

They're all similar-but-different-enough-to-be-clearly-different-games if that makes sense.

If you've learned to play one, you'll pick up any of the others pretty quickly compared with the first one you learn.

CK2 was the first one I played, and I'd put about 200 hours into playing it and watching YouTube videos explaining it before I finally decided I understood what the game was about. :lol:

I haven't mate, but I'll keep a look out for them. Now they've made the shift to console, I'm hoping they'll be inclined to release more games going forward. I still can't understand why they don't release a keyboard and mouse for console games mind.

I haven't mate, but I'll keep a look out for them. Now they've made the shift to console, I'm hoping they'll be inclined to release more games going forward. I still can't understand why they don't release a keyboard and mouse for console games mind.

My love of games like this is why I never got overly enthralled with consoles. I've owned a few consoles over the years and they're great for "instant action" games but more complicated ones either never made it across at all or were simplified massively.

Unless there's some great leap in consoles in the future, I think I'm always going to prefer having a PC.

One thing to add for those that haven't played it, it's not turn based, so if say you scan a nearby solar system, you can watch your science ship actually complete the scan on each planet/star/asteroid whatever.

If you're attacked, you have to react to it, all battles are real time.

One thing to add for those that haven't played it, it's not turn based, so if say you scan a nearby solar system, you can watch your science ship actually complete the scan on each planet/star/asteroid whatever.

If you're attacked, you have to react to it, all battles are real time.

If the same as the PC version, you can pause time, slow it down and speed it up though.

Crusader Kings 2
Hearts Of Iron 3
Europa Universalis 3 & 4
Victoria 2

Sorry to bump an old thread.
Is hearts of iron worth it?

Sorry to bump an old thread.
Is hearts of iron worth it?

Have you played any of the rest of the Paradox Grand Strategy games?

Victoria 2 is probably my favourite but they all use a very similar set of game mechanics under the surface, so if you've enjoyed one you'll likely enjoy the rest.

They're all excellent games, well worth buying IMO, but they're also the most complicated games I've ever seen. If you've never played any of them then expect to play for a hundred hours or so before you've got the foggiest idea what you're doing. (Less if someone's helping you understand it and you're not just trying to work it out for yourself). And then probably another few hundred before you get to the point where you're thinking "yeah I understand how to play this properly now". :lol:

I thoroughly recommend them! :cool:

Victoria 2 is probably my favourite but they all use a very similar set of game mechanics under the surface, so if you've enjoyed one you'll likely enjoy the rest.

They're all excellent games, well worth buying IMO, but they're also the most complicated games I've ever seen. If you've never played any of them then expect to play for a hundred hours or so before you've got the foggiest idea what you're doing. (Less if someone's helping you understand it and you're not just trying to work it out for yourself). And then probably another few hundred before you get to the point where you're thinking "yeah I understand how to play this properly now". :lol:

I haven’t mate, but going to have a look into it.
Thanks for the post 🙂

Paradox games are the only games i'd recommend buying without the DLC to keep them as simple as possible.

HOI4 is the most simple of the bunch though and also probably my favourite.

Paradox games are the only games i'd recommend buying without the DLC to keep them as simple as possible.

HOI4 is the most simple of the bunch though and also probably my favourite.

Stellaris is easiest IMO.

The HOI games have all that supply line stuff that makes it really hard when you start getting really big. I was playing a game as Germany and had all of Europe, all of Africa and all of S. America but just couldn't take the USA because of supply lines even though I was loads bigger than them.

Victoria 2 definitely my favourite, probably followed by Crusader Kings 2 then HOI (3 is the only HOI I've played).

Stellaris is easiest IMO.

The HOI games have all that supply line stuff that makes it really hard when you start getting really big. I was playing a game as Germany and had all of Europe, all of Africa and all of S. America but just couldn't take the USA because of supply lines even though I was loads bigger than them.

Victoria 2 definitely my favourite, probably followed by Crusader Kings 2 then HOI (3 is the only HOI I've played).

EU4 not even making the top 3!

HOI4 is apparently way more accessible than 3. I've not tried Stellaris (although i've been thinking about giving it a go recently) but I suspect its similar to HOI4 in complexity.

Apparently Imperator is a lot better now as well, I enjoyed it at launch but found it got dull quickly.

All of these are on XBox Live for PC for £1 per month for the first 3 months if anyone wants to give them a try.

EU4 not even making the top 3!

HOI4 is apparently way more accessible than 3. I've not tried Stellaris (although i've been thinking about giving it a go recently) but I suspect its similar to HOI4 in complexity.

Apparently Imperator is a lot better now as well, I enjoyed it at launch but found it got dull quickly.

All of these are on XBox Live for PC for £1 per month for the first 3 months if anyone wants to give them a try.

Stellaris is still the same vibe as the rest, so yes it's complex, but things like starting wars are much easier.

I haven't even heard of Imperator.

EU4 is OK, but after starting out on CC2 and then playing EU4 next, it felt a bit "cut down" in comparison. :lol:

Stellaris is still the same vibe as the rest, so yes it's complex, but things like starting wars are much easier.

I haven't even heard of Imperator.

EU4 is OK, but after starting out on CC2 and then playing EU4 next, it felt a bit "cut down" in comparison. :lol:

Feels weird calling a paradox cut down doesn't it.

Imperator is mechanically like EU4 but with the the character elements of CK, set in the Rome era as you can probably guess from the name.

Crusader Kings 2
Hearts Of Iron 3
Europa Universalis 3 & 4
Victoria 2

I downloaded crusader kings 2 ages ago as it's free on steam, I love the idea of the game but I haven't got a clue what to do, I've tried watching YouTube videos but I'm still none the wiser.

Back