Steam rooms and saunaa

This is probably a stupid question but what are the benefits of using them? My gym has both but I never bother as I don't see the point other than getting real sweaty.

This is probably a stupid question but what are the benefits of using them? My gym has both but I never bother as I don't see the point other than getting real sweaty.

Quick google suggests..

benefits include detoxification, increased metabolism, weight loss, increased blood circulation, pain reduction, antiaging, skin rejuvenation, improved cardiovascular function, improved immune function, improved sleep, stress management, and relaxation.

Didnt realise they were that good to be honest, might have to make more time for them.

Quick google suggests..

benefits include detoxification, increased metabolism, weight loss, increased blood circulation, pain reduction, antiaging, skin rejuvenation, improved cardiovascular function, improved immune function, improved sleep, stress management, and relaxation.

Didnt realise they were that good to be honest, might have to make more time for them.
I'm assuming anything around weight loss is to do with sweating water weight out - stuff like that makes me wary of lists of benefits when it's indirect stuff but aye, I might pop in now and again.

I'm assuming anything around weight loss is to do with sweating water weight out - stuff like that makes me wary of lists of benefits when it's indirect stuff but aye, I might pop in now and again.

probably yeah, although there may be more towards the weight loss if stress, sleep and relaxation are factored in. I'm going to pay them more attention going forward.

It just feels good, that’s the main benefit I get out of it. Workout and 20-25 mins is perfect for me, feel completely refreshed afterwards. (Sauna)

I go to PureGym in summer (no sauna and more convenient) and switch to JD in the winter to get a bit of heat !!

Quick google suggests..

I might have to start using the ones at the golf club!

Everlast gym steam room is pretty crap like, not much steam so people are hoyin cold water onto the sensor until it gets way too hot, like sticking your face over a boiled kettle. Then you have the people putting oil all over the seats and walls so when you rub your eyes it stings like fuck

Tynemouth Pool (council-run) has sauna/steam room.

Waves in Whitley - the entire spa suite is out of order for the foreseeable.

Spoke to someone at Tynemouth Pool last week and they said that Waves spa will never reopen. :cry:
Are there any steam rooms near tynemouth/cullercoats

Im moving there for few months, can’t seem to find anything

You can get a 6 week membership for £60 which gets you into all gyms/pools/classes at 5 centres. Longer term, they usually have new offers in January.

Last edited:
Spoke to someone at Tynemouth Pool last week and they said that Waves spa will never reopen. :cry:

Correct. That post of mine was from a while back but we recently had a letter to say it wasn't viable to keep fixing or renew, so it's going to get turned into extra gym class space.

Real shame as I'm not keen on Tynemouth pool.

Correct. That post of mine was from a while back but we recently had a letter to say it wasn't viable to keep fixing or renew, so it's going to get turned into extra gym class space.

Real shame as I'm not keen on Tynemouth pool.

Whoops! I just saw the dates!! :oops:

Usually go for about a 30min swim then 10-15min sauna session once a week. Even if there are no actual help benefits it certainly refreshes you and makes you feel better for it.

Back