Staycation

We're almost certainly going to switch our holiday planned for the last week in September so that instead of flying to Tuscany we're going to the west coast of Scotland, probably the likes of Mull, Applecross maybe up as far as Ullapool. Will it still be midge season up there in the last week in September and if so any hints, tips, etc for up that beautiful part of the UK?
Take plenty of waterproofs.

I'll be staying at home but, as home is Spain anyway, we'll probably have a week or two away.

Hotels will begin to open here in a couple of weeks so we'll probably do a bit of hopping around, here and there, once they're functioning a little more normally.

Maybe a trip to Ibiza as its only a 50 minute flight.

Hotel prices will be ridiculous cos they want tourists as soon as possible and the only way, (given that flights will go up proportionally to the lack of seating, therein), is to drop hotel prices accordingly.

You'll pick up top accommodation here for buttons. 😎

Thinking of a break in Dunston for two weeks in July and for the August bank holiday weekend looking to get off the trodden path and book a cosy little B&B in Bensham, even though it's probably too late to get in to the top, top places.

😁😁😁
Nothing booked but fancy a late August 10 day tour around Scotland, head up through Glencoe the up to Loch Ness. Leg 2 up to John O Groats along the top then down the West Coast of Scotland and maybe popping over to Skye.

Last edited:
I do two seperate uk weeks with my son every year and the places are expensive and busy
It's only the run down yesteryear experience that's struggling. We just enjoy the break and each other's company but shit weather is often a feature

The weather in the uk is shite to plan owt, when we come over to see family it costs is a fortune aswell - why does it cost a bomb to go anywhere?

Just back from camping in Nortth Devon, a lot quieter than I was expecting. Those that went down in the initial surge of reopening generally haven’t been replaced on site.

Hey Jeff, cannot decide between bike ride or walk at about 10:00 today, rain coat, hoodie, shorts?

what’s the crack with the weather?
Weather is just for the weekend mate as I get abuse for over doing it.

But.................................................. - fine,dry Thursday with a bit of cloud and some sun. It will feel warmer than today (wed).

About 10 mph westerlies so a nice day for a ride. I would also say shorts.

Walking is too slow - go for the bike.

Hope you have a nice day and the weather co-operates.

@Gala

Weather is just for the weekend mate as I get abuse for over doing it.

But.................................................. - fine,dry Thursday with a bit of cloud and some sun. It will feel warmer than today (wed).

About 10 mph westerlies so a nice day for a ride. I would also say shorts.

Walking is too slow - go for the bike.

Hope you have a nice day and the weather co-operates.

@Gala
Thanks mate, that’s me and the wife sorted until the weekend update.

You take care out there Big Jeff.

Off to Keswick on Friday for two nights. Hope the forecast gets better
The lakes has its own weather as I am sure you know.

I recall camping one night I thought the rain was sure to breach my tent it was so loud but it didnt and the next day it was cracking the pavements.

There is nowt like the sound of rain on a tent if you know its not going to leak.

I think you may get some rain over the 2 days - likely I would say but good luck.

Back