Staycation

Going nowhere till this shit blows over, just got ourselves a hot tub and built a shelter for it, it’s not much different to being on holiday to be honest, kids either in the water or lounging around ignoring us glued to their phones. It also still takes me half an hour to tidy up their usual poolside destruction, choc ice wrappers/cups/towels/shoes/T-shirt’s/pop cans etc etc when it’s time to go in. Scruffy little arseholes :evil::lol:

Booked a cottage in Bedale for a week later this month. Got a new dog so didnt want to go far.

Been looking for a local campsite for a few days next week for me and my son but cant find anything free

Just from personal experience. We went to Newquay one year, and it was the worst, most expensive holiday we ever had. We've never had a holiday in the UK since then, and that was quite a few years back.

Depends what your after I guess but I think cornwall as a whole has lots to offer, it can get busy and take an age to get around though....

Depends what your after I guess but I think cornwall as a whole has lots to offer, it can get busy and take an age to get around though....
There were some nice scenic places such as Padstow, and lots of "arty" type shops, to mull around, agreed. Compared to a foriegn holiday, the Cornish hotels were not good, the entertainment was seaside town abysmal, unfortunately it pissed down for the majority of time we were there, obviously the sea was feckin freezin, and a no go area unless you are into surfing, or fishing.. The prices were extortion, and what it cost us for a week, we could've had two weeks with garaunteed sunshine in the med, with reasonably priced food and drink. As you say horses for courses, but we have never even considered a UK holiday since that one.

Luckily we hadn't firmed up any holiday plans for this year. It'll be a long while before I go anywhere near an airport. Maybe look for a week in The Lakes late summer if lockdown allows
Why are the lakes safer than an airport?

Why are the lakes safer than an airport?

Did he say it was safer?
Im avoiding airports for a while anarl, cos of all the restrictions. Its bad enough having to wear a mask for 10 mins in the shops let alone for 6 hours in airport & on the plane. Plus the risk the holiday could be cancelled at the last minute, or go away then be told to come home 2 days into holiday.

Last edited:
As mentioned earlier we’re off to an empty unfurnished cottage near Hexham to sort of camp out as our friends have moved to Norway. Being a Coventry kid because my grandparents moved down From Stanley in early thirties I don’t know the area as well as most on here. What are the must see things with wife, eleven year old boy and dopey saluki/ boxer cross?
Blyth and ashington are a must

Loved going there as a kid wouldn't go back now , if i was stopping in the uk i would head up to the Scottish islands, mull would be my choice
It used to be a great spot then they started jumping on the Ibiza scene mob, ran flights from around the UK and chased the London wonga. I can see why they did it, it’s a desperately poor region out of high season, but it ruined the old school surfer’s vibe to be replaced by the brash stag & hen mob.

They seem to have recognised that and are trying to rein it back a little, but like St Ives, a little of its soul has been sold along the way.

Thankfully there’s still loads of little hidden gems all around the county, but I would never rush down during the summer holidays these days.

Well yeah, either side can.
I'm not going abroad this year, not because if its unsafe or not, but just can't be arsed with all the restrictions which will spoil it.
Rather just wait & get an extra break away next year
I could be fucked, wish I’d kept my gob shut.

Back