Stay at home Dads

I knew she earned a few quid but wasn’t 100% on how much it was .She looks after the lads wages/vat /our tax returns etc etc .I have absolutely nothing to do with that side of our businesses mate .
So she’s giving herself an overinflated wave because the person who runs the company doesn’t have adequate controls in place to stop his employees fiddling the books?

She's fleecing him.
If he’s the “boss” and she’s earning £30k more than him, either he has a massive Director’s Loan Account meaning for tax purposes he’s taking out his personal allowance and no more (and even then, £42k a year for a finance administrator is excessive) or she’s totally taking advantage of his lack of control of the company finances.

She’s downstairs making me a cup of tea ,bringing it up for me then making me some breakfast (might go down for that ).She gets paid accordingly .

My missus does that and gets paid fuck all. I'm out gadgying you comfortably Gilly lad.
If he’s the “boss” and she’s earning £30k more than him, either he has a massive Director’s Loan Account meaning for tax purposes he’s taking out his personal allowance and no more (and even then, £42k a year for a finance administrator is excessive) or she’s totally taking advantage of his lack of control of the company finances.

I think he just missed out a comma after 30k. But aye, the full picture has emerged, she runs the show, he gets kept upstairs (occasionally being allowed downstairs) and he's not even allowed out for a pint (instructed to say its because he thinks a man should go straight home after graft).

#SaveGilly

Last edited:
I was brought up in the 60's as will a fair few on here I'd imagine.
My growing up view of what an ideal life was, was most people having a mam and a dad and the dad generally being the bread winner by large percentage.
The mother looked after the home, done the washing, shopping and cooked. And in between they generally gossipped with their neighbours or went round whoevers house for a gossip.
Their job was graft because there wasn't auto washers and what not on hand. It was all nappy washing (no disposables, generally affordable then) and wringing out and line hung in good weather or clothes horses in bad.
Many mothers home cooked and managed a budget which was generally a very tight budget.

The bloke would come home from a hard days graft of his own and to a home cooked meal for him and the rest of the family if he managed to get home at tea time.
The woman would put his bait up for work.

This is just how it seemed to be from my child like view. It was with us as well but unfortunately my father was a hard working hard drinking man who was a bit violent in that drink and generally gave my mother many a slap and punch and even a kick. I thought this was only exclusive to us but found out as I grew up that many a family suffered the same kind of terror...which it was for us kids having to see it unfold.

It's irrelevant whether I

I meant to add: It's irrelevant whether I agreed with it or not, it was just how it was and seemed to work, because generally you had a lot of things that seemed to work well in that situation.
It was a mothers love and father's fear/respect. The gentle touch and the rough with that smooth that generally kept a sort of happy medium among the obvious internal turmoil of what I explained earlier.

I know today is different with women wanting independence or equal work rights and a sort of attitude of " why should I be the mum and have him working. I want to work and he can stay at home."
I hear many people, generally women that say " I want a career first before kids and I don't want to be tied down."
Basically speaking, it means, " I want a career and independence and if I do have a baby I want a career and independence, which means, if I have a male partner, he can be nurturer and I'll take on the extra scraps of time left in order for me to feel part of it."

It's almost like sharing a top of the range Mercedes, in an unequal way.
The male saying, I'll polish it and make sure everything about it is catered for and you can drive it from A to B as a sort of status symbol but generally cast aside for the lions share of each and every day, yet always there to look at until it becomes past its cuteness.

Or, I'll have a career and a baby but the nanny will be the ALMOST parent whilst we...or I, have my career and then when I'm older I can explain to my grown up child that he/she would never have got the top of the range shoes, bikes...etc.....etc if I'd stayed at home giving my full attention to the job I chose but neglected to do.

I was brought up on home cooked food. Stews, homemade bread, fatty cakes and home baked pies and pasties and such. On occasion we had to eat flour pancakes with whatever sauce was left to go on them to make them a bit more easily consumed.
It taught me many lessons.

It taught me how hard my mother worked and the sacrifices she made for us, but a sacrifice she chose to make and was happy to make. I didn't honestly realise the graft she put in because my clothes were washed and my food was always there even if there were times when it wasn't the most exciting.
Beds were made and all the stuff required for a big family were always there but not in abundance and not in terms of labelling.
Hand me downs were common and not to forget the knitting and sewing she'd do to keep us all as tip top as she could....bearing in mind there were many in the same boat.

I did used to envy the posher kids. Those who had the new bikes and always seemed to have a chocolate bar and varying sweeties at hand, who were smartly dressed in the top of the range clobber of the time.
I used to see them come home from school and I'd be invited in to their empty house. Empty of parents who were at work and who would come home at tea time or whatever and rustle up whatever was in for them to snack on in there barely lived in house.

Basically I dreamed of having the better stuff.
As I grew up I realised I was considerably richer (Harry Enfield :)) than they were. Not in material items but in terms of respect, love, appreciation and someone being there to actually give a damn, even if it was rough and tumble a big family brings.

If you have to have a full time nanny for your kids then don't have kids. If a dad feels life would be better if he stayed at home to nurture the baby or babies while the mother goes to work then fine but I think it'll only be fine in the short term and when those babies grow up into adults (assuming the female chose a career) then those kids get to enjoy their dad and he, them.

The mother gets to enjoy their career and then have more than enough time to kick herself when she realises she's lost the best part of motherhood and cannot get it back other than to try and make amends by doting on the grandkids...assuming her own grown ups have not taken a route of career first and everything else goes on hold..

I think this'll go down like a lead balloon with some but it's my opinion only and I appreciate that many people's opinions will certainly differ....some extremely strongly....especially if they've been born a few decades after I was and/or know no different to what they actually find themselves a part of, as it stands.

I meant to add: It's irrelevant whether I agreed with it or not, it was just how it was and seemed to work, because generally you had a lot of things that seemed to work well in that situation.
It was a mothers love and father's fear/respect. The gentle touch and the rough with that smooth that generally kept a sort of happy medium among the obvious internal turmoil of what I explained earlier.

I know today is different with women wanting independence or equal work rights and a sort of attitude of " why should I be the mum and have him working. I want to work and he can stay at home."
I hear many people, generally women that say " I want a career first before kids and I don't want to be tied down."
Basically speaking, it means, " I want a career and independence and if I do have a baby I want a career and independence, which means, if I have a male partner, he can be nurturer and I'll take on the extra scraps of time left in order for me to feel part of it."

The male saying, I'll polish it and make sure everything about it is catered for and you can drive it from A to B as a sort of status symbol but generally cast aside for the lions share of each and every day, yet always there to look at until it becomes past its cuteness.

Or, I'll have a career and a baby but the nanny will be the ALMOST parent whilst we...or I, have my career and then when I'm older I can explain to my grown up child that he/she would never have got the top of the range shoes, bikes...etc.....etc if I'd stayed at home giving my full attention to the job I chose but neglected to do.

I was brought up on home cooked food. Stews, homemade bread, fatty cakes and home baked pies and pasties and such. On occasion we had to eat flour pancakes with whatever sauce was left to go on them to make them a bit more easily consumed.

It taught me how hard my mother worked and the sacrifices she made for us, but a sacrifice she chose to make and was happy to make. I didn't honestly realise the graft she put in because my clothes were washed and my food was always there even if there were times when it wasn't the most exciting.
Beds were made and all the stuff required for a big family were always there but not in abundance and not in terms of labelling.
Hand me downs were common and not to forget the knitting and sewing she'd do to keep us all as tip top as she could....bearing in mind there were many in the same boat.

I did used to envy the posher kids. Those who had the new bikes and always seemed to have a chocolate bar and varying sweeties at hand, who were smartly dressed in the top of the range clobber of the time.
I used to see them come home from school and I'd be invited in to their empty house. Empty of parents who were at work and who would come home at tea time or whatever and rustle up whatever was in for them to snack on in there barely lived in house.

As I grew up I realised I was considerably richer (Harry Enfield :)) than they were. Not in material items but in terms of respect, love, appreciation and someone being there to actually give a damn, even if it was rough and tumble a big family brings.

If you have to have a full time nanny for your kids then don't have kids. If a dad feels life would be better if he stayed at home to nurture the baby or babies while the mother goes to work then fine but I think it'll only be fine in the short term and when those babies grow up into adults (assuming the female chose a career) then those kids get to enjoy their dad and he, them.

The mother gets to enjoy their career and then have more than enough time to kick herself when she realises she's lost the best part of motherhood and cannot get it back other than to try and make amends by doting on the grandkids...assuming her own grown ups have not taken a route of career first and everything else goes on hold..

I think this'll go down like a lead balloon with some but it's my opinion only and I appreciate that many people's opinions will certainly differ....some extremely strongly....especially if they've been born a few decades after I was and/or know no different to what they actually find themselves a part of, as it stands.

Some women do all that AND go to work. God bless those women.

I appreciate that and did say I was privileged.

It was a moment in time thing because I could have had children and circumstances might have changed and I might have had to go out to work. I did end up working but was lucky to have ten years as a not going out to work mum.

Me and my husband earned similar decent amounts, but not enough for either of us to give up working to stay at home with our daughter.
I worked part time for 12 years, but never less than 30 hours a week.
I considered us to be lucky when she was a baby because I was there for her on a Monday and his day off was a Tuesday so we only needed childcare 3 days a week when she went to a (thankfully) lovely childminder.

You don't half go on.

I knew she earned a few quid but wasn’t 100% on how much it was .She looks after the lads wages/vat /our tax returns etc etc .I have absolutely nothing to do with that side of our businesses mate .

See my reply to Bert che

So has it never come up over the tea table or in pillow talk how much wages your lass gets for working for your business? I'm finding it all bizarre as fuck tbh. I very much doubt theres anyone else on this board who doesn't know how much there other half earns and the fact it's a family business makes it even more bizarre

Back