Statue wars - Cecil Rhodes again.

JonMc

Striker
After consultation and a vote on the matter lecturers at Oriel College, Oxford decided to vote to get rid of old Cecil but they've been denied because the college needs planning permission to do it which is too much palaver for Oriel by the looks of things. Lecturers now threatening strike action until the college make assurances that the statue will be no more.

There is a bit of an impasse here with lecturers agreeing that maybe the statue should just be facing the wall. But at least the decision has been made by talking about it and not steaming in and tearing it down. Coulson (the Bristol statue) has now been relocated to a museum which probably would have happened anyway if protesters hadn't forced the issue.

It's much more civilized when we discuss things and reach a consensus and not doing it off our own bat.

Last edited:

After consultation and a vote on the matter lecturers at Oriel College, Oxford decided to vote to get rid of old Cecil but they've been denied because the college needs planning permission to do it which is too much palaver for Oriel by the looks of things. Lecturers now threatening strike action until the college make assurances that the statue will be no more.

There is a bit of an impasse here with lecturers agreeing that maybe the statue should just be facing the wall. But at least the decision has been made by talking about it and not steaming in and tearing it down. Coulson (the Bristol statue) has now been relocated to a museum which probably would have happened anyway if protesters hadn't forced the issue.

It's much more civilized when we discuss things and reach a consensus and not doing it off our own bat.
Not as much fun though

There is a bit of an impasse here with lecturers agreeing that maybe the statue should just be facing the wall.
What a brainless, sanctimonious, shallow thinking, wet wipe idea that is. Put Rhodes on the naughty step because what he did in another time no longer is appropriate in our times.

I hope they do it. It is funny. :lol:
Not as much fun though
It is quite funny seeing people tie themselves in moral knots.

I think this whole statue malarkey should really be revisited on individual merit.
For instance I wholly agree that there a few statues in the US that should be removed as their connotations are just too grim to contemplate.
On the other hand, many did good on the back of bad and should really just have a plaque attached to this effect. It doesn't diminish that statue, but puts it in historical context. As long as the history isn't glossed over.

Last time this came up, Oxford University said they’d lose £100m in endorsements, a quote that has mysteriously disappeared from this article

If that’s not the case just pull him off the building and auction the space to a present-day rich arsehole

Last edited:
I think this whole statue malarkey should really be revisited on individual merit.
For instance I wholly agree that there a few statues in the US that should be removed as their connotations are just too grim to contemplate.
On the other hand, many did good on the back of bad and should really just have a plaque attached to this effect. It doesn't diminish that statue, but puts it in historical context. As long as the history isn't glossed over.
Best place to do that is to put Cecil in a museum with the Coulson statue imo.

Last edited:
What a brainless, sanctimonious, shallow thinking, wet wipe idea that is. Put Rhodes on the naughty step because what he did in another time no longer is appropriate in our times.

The facing the wall idea was from Anthony Gormley

The facing the wall idea was from Anthony Gormley
I like Gormley but it is nonsense. Stick a dunce's cap on as well.
I think the statues remaining will put history in context, put our lives in context and Chinese Cultural Revolution was not a great look.

Well, the Mao cap and green Mao suit were cool.

Last edited:

Worth reminding ourselves that the original proposal was that the Rhodes statue should be moved to the new centre for Rhodes studies, along with the rest of Rhodes papers and paraphanalia

Bunch of well connected reactionary right wing academics whipped up a storm insisting that the statue of Rhodes must stay, which got predictable overheated converage in the Telegraph, Times and Daily Mail

The whole argument led from their reactionary twattishness. Who immediately blamed the left for their own petty tantrum

Worth reminding ourselves that the original proposal was that the Rhodes statue should be moved to the new centre for Rhodes studies, along with the rest of Rhodes papers and paraphanalia

Bunch of well connected reactionary right wing academics whipped up a storm insisting that the statue of Rhodes must stay, which got predictable overheated converage in the Telegraph, Times and Daily Mail

The whole argument led from their reactionary twattishness. Who immediately blamed the left for their own petty tantrum
Well there you go. :lol:

Morons to the left and retards to the right. Removing statues ffs. It happened in the past. I could understand it a little more if supporters were flocking to Rhodes and Coulson’s statues and using them as rally backdrops preaching the merits of slavery and a return to the good old days, but they are not.

And maybe if there was an exhibition in the Rhodes Centre with full disclosure of exactly what he got up, it cannot be a bad thing.

I remember when Corbyn was getting a lot of unjustifiable stick for being an anti-semite (The Labour Party has buried the Forde Report which allegedly exonerates Corbyn and points the finger at Labour HQ staff), Theresa May & BJ went down to the unveiling of Lady Nancy Astor in Plymouth who was an openly rabid Nazi and the same organizations/MSM that were dishing it on Corbyn said Astor's main achievement was as the first woman MP not her unfortunate Nazism and let the Tory toe-rags off.

Morons to the left and retards to the right. Removing statues ffs. It happened in the past. I could understand it a little more if supporters were flocking to Rhodes and Coulson’s statues and using them as rally backdrops preaching the merits of slavery and a return to the good old days, but they are not.

I live in Durham. Over the last few years we've had the new DLI bugler statue put up, and the Tommy sculpture at Seaham

People are putting statues up, not taking them down

Back