Statue wars - Cecil Rhodes again.

This

Statues are historical objects. They are also objects of propaganda. They exist to commemorate, validate, glorify or similar their object, whoever put them up. They dont tell you anything as of themselves besides the values they were erected to glorify.
Is this your opinion of statues erected to people who made great sacrifices?

This statue depicts William Coltman VC, reading his bible. He was a pacifist so served as a stretcher bearer in WWI.

Logon or register to see this image

A memorial ‘peace wood’ describes more about his life and values.

Last edited:
Look in the mirror dipshit,there you are !

:):):)

What a daftie

This statue depicts William Coltman VC, reading his bible. He was a pacifist so served as a stretcher bearer in WWI.

Very moving. My Gran had 3 brothers who fought in WW1. 2 of them in infantry, but the youngest was a pacifist and served as a stretcher bearer. He saw more action than the other 2 put together, including serving at Gallipoli.

Although he survived he was ruined by the experience, had a tremour all his life

Last edited:
What makes you think that Lecturers know what they are doing. Most of them are thick as shit, know only their own subject (not 100%) just enough to get the job.
Check,then double check statement. Nowhere did i say the word" thick". Still, if it refers to you my friend ,then i guess it must suit you. Coherent enough for you ? Another martyre to the cause .Eh Tommy ?

You really are thick as shit :lol:

That's lovely but the statue tells you very little.

The plaque is what gives information.

And even though I agree with the sentiments behind it, the point stands that it was erected to commemorate the values that people putting it up agreed with. It's not an objective account.

Any person can learn anything parrot fashion. Even you. Join the real world ,not the parallel universe you live in. Oh he'se got a degree,he'se got a Phd . Seems it's you that's clueless.Guess you must have one of those bits of paper to prove you went through the motions.Blankety Blank ? Never mentioned it .Must be your level.
Jesus wept. We’ve got someone criticising the intelligence of our top academics when he himself, does not know how to spell ‘he’s’. Only on the SMB
Check,then double check statement. Nowhere did i say the word" thick". Still, if it refers to you my friend ,then i guess it must suit you. Coherent enough for you ? Another martyre to the cause .Eh Tommy ?
Martyre 😂😂😂

Last edited:
That's lovely but the statue tells you very little.

The plaque is what gives information.

And even though I agree with the sentiments behind it, the point stands that it was erected to commemorate the values that people putting it up agreed with. It's not an objective account.
Fair comments imho, but how could it be made more objective? A pacifist saved lives.
:):):)

What a daftie

Very moving. My Gran had 3 brothers who fought in WW1. 2 of them in infantry, but the youngest was a pacifist and served as a stretcher bearer. He saw more action than the other 2 put together, including serving at Gallipoli.

Although he survived he was ruined by the experience, had a tremour all his life
One of my great-grandfathers survived too but apparently spent a lot of time in the pubs around Newbottle and Houghton afterwards, it’s understandable I suppose.

The Coltman background story resonated with me as another of my great-grandfathers was a stretcher bearer too, but was killed in 1917.

We walked past the Coltman peace garden last night on the way to a cricket match in the suburb of winshill in burton-on-Trent. I wasn’t even aware of its existence.

Last edited:
If the English hadn’t invaded these countries and civilised them, they’d still be throwing spears at each other.
Like London today!

After consultation and a vote on the matter lecturers at Oriel College, Oxford decided to vote to get rid of old Cecil but they've been denied because the college needs planning permission to do it which is too much palaver for Oriel by the looks of things. Lecturers now threatening strike action until the college make assurances that the statue will be no more.

There is a bit of an impasse here with lecturers agreeing that maybe the statue should just be facing the wall. But at least the decision has been made by talking about it and not steaming in and tearing it down. Coulson (the Bristol statue) has now been relocated to a museum which probably would have happened anyway if protesters hadn't forced the issue.

It's much more civilized when we discuss things and reach a consensus and not doing it off our own bat.
Hadn't they been protesting the statue for ages? There is a statue I saw being protested about in London the other day, I think they have been summarily ignored.

Plus if people are so invested in the importance of statues staying where they were erected perhaps the British Museum should be emptied out and the statues and marbles etc returned to the countries that have repeatedly asked for them.

Hadn't they been protesting the statue for ages? There is a statue I saw being protested about in London the other day, I think they have been summarily ignored.

Plus if people are so invested in the importance of statues staying where they were erected perhaps the British Museum should be emptied out and the statues and marbles etc returned to the countries that have repeatedly asked for them.
Yeah this has been ongoing for years. Well before statue wars. Coming to an agreement with the Uni was the main thing, it's unfortunate they're dragging their feet at this stage.

Getting the marbles etc back to their rightful owners would be brilliant leaving plenty of room tp house stuff that belongs in there.

Back