Starting self employment while employed

Nail. Hit. Head

From my experience of working in accountancy practice, I assume the answer to 1 and 2 is no. It’s generally only the partners or anyone else (associates potentially) that would be responsible for signing off audits that would have practicing certificates. If the OP was in that position he wouldn’t be wanting to leave.

If you don’t have a practicing certificate then you’ll be stuck bookkeeping or helping with basic tax returns as I know ICAS (my professional body) restrict work you can take on without a practicing certificate to £50 a time and if they thought you were practicing without a certificate you could get investigated and sanctioned.

Top one goes hand in hand with the practicing certificate - one of the conditions of having one is that you need to have insurance.
It would only be doing bookkeeping and VAT returns for now at least marra. I know a few who have asked in the past if i could do it for them.

Has anyone done the above. I currently work for an accountants and would love to set up some self employed work on the side as extra income as I know a few people who would offer me the work.

I suppose the long term goal would be to permanently become self employed full time. Does anyone have any tips on managing time between jobs etc.

Also any recommendations on how to go about getting started?

I imagine working from the Gunn Laire full time would be appealing. More time to calculate the segregation.

Back