Star Wars : Episode 9

Agree.
Young Lucas > Middle age Lucas

Something I can relate to TBH :)

Revenge of the sith is still my fave star wars film. Dark as fuck.

Kylo could of been interesting but they ruined him so much. Go back to 7 & watch his entrance. Looks class. Downhill after that, his final word was ouch ffs.

Rise of Skywalker – 6/10

My thoughts on a poorly thought out trilogy;

After TFA, JJ Abrams essentially left Rian Johnson with a room full of open doors and windows. Instead of deciding to explore one of these openings, RJ spent the entirety of TLJ nailing everything shut and boarding it all up, before laying a huge turd in the middle of the floor. JJ then turns up with a crowbar and desperately tries to force his way back into some (any) of these openings whilst trying not to gag on the stench of Johnsons turd. This is how we ended up with this disjointed and messy finale.

Despite enjoying TLJ as a cinema experience, the 2 years of inane discourse has quashed any excitement I had for this final instalment. Already I am finding the discourse surrounding this one to be even more insufferable, so I’ll try and keep this short;

I went in with low expectations and I had a decent time with it. The big problem here is that the plot does not hold up to scrutiny AT ALL. You can see the cogs of the Disney machine whirring away in the background. You can blatantly tell that they scrambled around in the editing room and wrestled with different scenes and plot points. The guys over at RLM summed it up perfectly when they described the frantic pacing as “dangling a shiny object in front of a cat”.

The strength of this trilogy is in the new cast. Adam Driver is the main saving grace, but Daisy Ridley’s performances have all improved notably with each film. They both do an excellent job with a troubled script. The strong chemistry is also there with Boyega and Isaacs imo. I liked all these characters, even though they clearly didn’t get enough to do.
Love your summary in the first paragraph, close to my feelings.

TFA had so many storylines to explore and threads to pick up on later. Abrams is generally good at this, catcing a wide net in openings so anything can hook back later, like Lost (though the way that went was not so great). The next movie just killed off everything, leaving little to work with. It feels this trilogy should have had an overall story arc director where they key bits were protected. This was three stand alone movies badly strung together. I did enjoy this more than the other two.

I have been reading through the books with my son, and they give a bit more of the back story to the Jedi and the Sith. If they are going to make more movies, it would be good to go right back to the beginnings, to over 1,000 generations back. How did the Jedi discover their power, how did they build the order, where did the Sith come from? Etc. It is a bit like what Game Of Thrones is apparently doing though.

If there’s one thing we’ve learned in recent years, it’s that Star Wars fans like nothing more than recurring tropes.
JJ obviously started out with a list of everything that people liked and went:
A wings - check
B wings - check
Y wings - check
Force choking - check
Jedi mind trick - check
Rescue something from the detention block - check
I was half expecting the ghost of Pol Treidum to turn up.
Replaying the format of the 'I am your father' revelation to a seemingly trapped protagonist and the offer to rule the galaxy together, offering your outstretched hand before they jump into space to get away.

Love your summary in the first paragraph, close to my feelings.

TFA had so many storylines to explore and threads to pick up on later. Abrams is generally good at this, catcing a wide net in openings so anything can hook back later, like Lost (though the way that went was not so great). The next movie just killed off everything, leaving little to work with. It feels this trilogy should have had an overall story arc director where they key bits were protected. This was three stand alone movies badly strung together. I did enjoy this more than the other two.

I have been reading through the books with my son, and they give a bit more of the back story to the Jedi and the Sith. If they are going to make more movies, it would be good to go right back to the beginnings, to over 1,000 generations back. How did the Jedi discover their power, how did they build the order, where did the Sith come from? Etc. It is a bit like what Game Of Thrones is apparently doing though.
Excellent analysis and by @DJ Doubt as well.

The cynic in me says plot holes serve Disney well and plant the seeds for more trilogies!

Not a particular Star Wars fan. Haven’t seen most of them.

Went to this one and quite enjoyed it. The missus has to explain one or two references but it’s an enjoyable film without the need to be a Star Wars nerd.

I wouldn’t spot a Star Wars geeky plot hole if I’d fallen down one.

I'd have preferred it if ended when the emperor regained physical form from Ren & Rey, but finished them off & leathered the shit out of everyone. Could've made it really dark, unpredictable & put the cat right amongst the pigeons but it would never happen. Still enjoyed it & think its probably the best of the newer episodes
It wouldn’t have ended the story. That could’ve been the story for episode 8 though.

Went to see this last night. As someone who can take or leave star wars I found the nostalgia a bit over the top but it was alright. Couple of questions though, if anyone knas, as well think I've missed something.

When Rey is given the second light saber it's green, so she has a blue and a green one. But when her and ren are both fighting at the end they are both blue?

What was Finn going to say to Rey when they were sinking? Just soppy I love you bollocks?

When Rey is given the second light saber it's green, so she has a blue and a green one. But when her and ren are both fighting at the end they are both blue?
The second light sabre was blue, it was Leia's. The first light sabre was blue, it was Anakin's that Like used until losing it along with his hand in Empire.

We only saw Luke's green light sabre in flashbacks, one in the last jedi when he was thinking about killing Ben, one in this one when like is training with Leia. The latter scene was around the same time Rey got Leia's sabre, I think you've just assumed the one she got was luke's green one.

What was Finn going to say to Rey when they were sinking? Just soppy I love you bollocks?
They left it vague on purpose, JJ Abrams said he thinks Finn was going to tell her he's force sensitive, others think a soppy I love you, I think it was a stupid plot point with no pay off either way.

Last edited:
The second light sabre was blue, it was Leia's. The first light sabre was blue, it was Anakin's that Like used until losing it along with his hand in Empire.

We only saw Luke's green light sabre in flashbacks, one in the last jedi when he was thinking about killing Ben, one in this one when like is training with Leia. The latter scene was around the same time Rey got Leia's sabre, I think you've just assumed the one she got was luke's green one.

They left it vague on purpose, JJ Abrams said he thinks Finn was going to tell her he's force sensitive, others think a soppy I love you, I think it was a stupid plot point with no pay off either way.
For some reason I thought when Rey was given it she switched it on (I'm guessing there's a better phrase than that) and it was green. Must have been mistaken.

Agree with the stupid plot point. Should have been cleared up either way

Cheers

I thought it looked a bit purple.

Finn was a pretty pointless character throughout the whole I think. FN-218Token.

Back