Star Trek

Yep! Watching The Best Of Both Worlds Part 1 and it comes to THAT cliffhanger......

then the BBC2 Continuity Announcer says “Star Trek will return some time next year“ this before the days where you could search the internet to find out a clue what happens next, would wait impatiently for news for the next series starting.
That moment was possibly the first time I had sworn at the telly with proper venom.

aye, not like there had been a precedent for leaving watchers hanging....

Blake’s 7
Tripods
Space Above and Beyond
Crusade
V The Series

There just the ones off the top of my head.
V was mint. The original mini series not the one that followed. That was pretty shit.

Diana was top notch anarl.

:eek:

Bakula is class.

By the by, I watched the last episode of Quantum Leap again over New Years when I was pissed and cried like a child. :lol:
He never returned home, man! :(:lol:

They were going to make a fifth series though. Got cancelled and shoehorned that ending in at the last minute.

Worrying that the best bit about season 2 was left a thousand years in the past. Then we've got the stunt casting just announced - we've had gender neutral and trans characters before (as much as they could be in the 80s and 90s) without the song and dance number about it.
I predict the writers will have chinned off any effort to build a coherent story in favour of 'look at our diversity'. Which is a shame because I thought Lorca, Pike, Saru and the portrayal of Stamets and Culber's relationship was excellent in season 1.

Worrying that the best bit about season 2 was left a thousand years in the past. Then we've got the stunt casting just announced - we've had gender neutral and trans characters before (as much as they could be in the 80s and 90s) without the song and dance number about it.
I predict the writers will have chinned off any effort to build a coherent story in favour of 'look at our diversity'. Which is a shame because I thought Lorca, Pike, Saru and the portrayal of Stamets and Culber's relationship was excellent in season 1.
Though I enjoyed it I still prefer each episode to have its own story line not one big long story with a twist at the end. The beauty about TOS, TNG, Voyager or DS9 was you could watch any episode and not be lost haveing not previously watched the previous ones.
Bring back Q

Though I enjoyed it I still prefer each episode to have its own story line not one big long story with a twist at the end. The beauty about TOS, TNG, Voyager or DS9 was you could watch any episode and not be lost haveing not previously watched the previous ones.
Bring back Q
Q is coming back on Lower Decks. Not that there's any word on when we can see it here like

Afaik they've had gender neutral races before but not gender neutral humans, so of course there's gonna be a bit of a news scramble about it as Star Trek has always pushed boundries when it comes to diversity.

Why not wait to see how they tackle it before slagging it off with the predictions?

Afaik they've had gender neutral races before but not gender neutral humans, so of course there's gonna be a bit of a news scramble about it as Star Trek has always pushed boundries when it comes to diversity.

Why not wait to see how they tackle it before slagging it off with the predictions?

I think we've got enough previous on new Trek now with Discovery, Picard and Lower decks to make a decent prediction. If it's like any of those, I'll watch it and enjoy some bits of it, but I'm ignoring a whole lot of stupid to do so.

Fingers crossed for Strange New Worlds, that's got a lot of goodwill behind it I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bring back Q
I think the big problem i have had with Discovery is not that it is one long story arc (lets be fair, DS9 got like that), it is that the story is pretty much about Burnham. Not about the ship, not about the crew and not about a particular peril facing that crew. It is just about where she happens to be at the time and as a result, she is pretty much the solution to all problems. I don't think she is a particularly great character so it just gets a bit dull.

The older Trek (and typical other show formats) had each episode featuring on each character in turn, often continuing the same story arc but from a different perspective or to develop another character as the story goes on. Lost was great for that, as they often created a cliff hanger but the next episode would be either the same from another character leading up to the event or another character at the other side of the island doing their thing at the same time. Often you would finish one week wondering what the hell was going to happen next, only to find the next episode ended exactly the same as the previous and you would wait another week.

Discovery is pretty much "and Burnham did this, then Burnham did that and next Burnham.....quick we have not had Burnham on the screen for 17 seconds now, cut, bring her in". This has lead to really one dimensional characters making up the rest of the crew. I struggle to name any of the other crew members, where as TNG or DS9 etc, you knew the whole crew after 10 episodes.

I think the big problem i have had with Discovery is not that it is one long story arc (lets be fair, DS9 got like that), it is that the story is pretty much about Burnham. Not about the ship, not about the crew and not about a particular peril facing that crew. It is just about where she happens to be at the time and as a result, she is pretty much the solution to all problems. I don't think she is a particularly great character so it just gets a bit dull.

The older Trek (and typical other show formats) had each episode featuring on each character in turn, often continuing the same story arc but from a different perspective or to develop another character as the story goes on. Lost was great for that, as they often created a cliff hanger but the next episode would be either the same from another character leading up to the event or another character at the other side of the island doing their thing at the same time. Often you would finish one week wondering what the hell was going to happen next, only to find the next episode ended exactly the same as the previous and you would wait another week.

Discovery is pretty much "and Burnham did this, then Burnham did that and next Burnham.....quick we have not had Burnham on the screen for 17 seconds now, cut, bring her in". This has lead to really one dimensional characters making up the rest of the crew. I struggle to name any of the other crew members, where as TNG or DS9 etc, you knew the whole crew after 10 episodes.
Totally agree regarding Burnham, also Tilley is a character to mirror real life difficulties with self confidence and weight issues. I don't know whether I'm out growing Star Trek and want it to be like when I was a kid.
I'm really enjoying lower decks.
Is lower decks a cartoon?

Back