Star Trek

One of the first things I realised is that when it first came out people would have dissed the shit out of it because the first couple of eps came across as a bit flimsy. Not to mention the marmite theme tune. Once it gets going its brilliant though - its already giving me mad dreams and I knew it would. Cant wait to get in so I can start binging on it again.
The theme tune was a mis-step. Brave, but ultimately just put bullets in the gun of those that wanted to hate it from the start.

People expected it to be the best trek ever immediately. Completely forgetting that Voyager, DS9 and even NG took 2-3 seasons to really get going.
Enterprise had so much content available to it once they'd got into their swing - but they were cut short, and the abortion-films that JJA made was the eventual result

First Contact iirc? He was a piss-head :lol:
Yes the point was that I’d forgot about him appearing in the original series where he is marooned on a distant planet by himself

The original is ok for the odd episode once in a while, but when you watch a few in a short space of time, you realise they all follow the same formulaic plot. Beam to planet, meat a beautiful woman (usually in a foil bra), play a bit of strings music just incase you didn’t know she was the eye candy for the episode, pick character of the week to fall in love with her, she turns out to be evil, they defeat her then all back up to the bridge for a cheesy staged laugh, usually casual racism against vulcans. I find I struggle to watch them.

As soon as Rodenberry lost full control and they were able to do big story arcs like DS9, it left the original standing. Even TNG episodes like Best Of Both World (where Picard is captured by the Borg) blows the water out of any TOS episode.

All of them have a few duff episodes, usually the low budget filler episodes like any with Troi’s mam.

The original is ok for the odd episode once in a while, but when you watch a few in a short space of time, you realise they all follow the same formulaic plot. Beam to planet, meat a beautiful woman (usually in a foil bra), play a bit of strings music just incase you didn’t know she was the eye candy for the episode, pick character of the week to fall in love with her, she turns out to be evil, they defeat her then all back up to the bridge for a cheesy staged laugh, usually casual racism against vulcans. I find I struggle to watch them.

As soon as Rodenberry lost full control and they were able to do big story arcs like DS9, it left the original standing. Even TNG episodes like Best Of Both World (where Picard is captured by the Borg) blows the water out of any TOS episode.

All of them have a few duff episodes, usually the low budget filler episodes like any with Troi’s mam.
Of course they do but that doesnt make it any less valid.

They explored issues of the day. there was always a moral to the story.

If it were remade now they would be exploring climate change et al. It was way ahead of its time and perhaps the greatest TV series ever.

Superb

they are all on Netflix and I have spells where I sit and watch a few on a night

just watched the ephraim Cochran one last week. He appeared as a central character in one of the later films
He invented the warp drive, without him, they'd still be stuck ganing around Mars
TOS
Voyager
TNG

Best character, Q.

Last edited by a moderator:
He invented the warp drive, without him, they'd still be stuck ganing around Mars
TOS
Voyager
TNG

Best character, Q.
I was shocked when I realised that after all of these years I hadnt put 2 and 2 together. He is the boy.

in the series he gets tapped up with the lass that Kirk and co brings down to the planet. Sublime stuff. Sci fi at its best.

Of course they do but that doesnt make it any less valid.

They explored issues of the day. there was always a moral to the story.

If it were remade now they would be exploring climate change et al. It was way ahead of its time and perhaps the greatest TV series ever.
Nah, I disagree, not for me. It might have been the issues of the day, but it has not aged well and even at the time it was originally axed after 3 seasons.

I can see why other people like it the best though. No reliance on special effects, not much time exploring the emotional issues of a much wider lead cast like some areas of TNG etc.

I can’t get way with the new films they look excellently done, but Shaun of the dead as scotty! Na, the original chemistry of Kirk Spock and McCoy can’t be replicated and I can’t get past new people playing them, sad I know but each to there own haha

I can’t get way with the new films they look excellently done, but Shaun of the dead as scotty! Na, the original chemistry of Kirk Spock and McCoy can’t be replicated and I can’t get past new people playing them, sad I know but each to there own haha
The new films are absolutely shite.

Back