Star Trek : Discovery

It's interesting to note that the new Voyager documentary raised well over a million quid in crowd funding making it the most well backed documentary in history. There's no way in hell people would back Picard or Disco like that.
Also, Eaglemoss has just released the biggest ship model they have ever made for Trek.. it's Star Trek: TNG's Enterprise.. Not any of the new series ships.
So people in general just don't seem to like the new shows.

It's interesting to note that the new Voyager documentary raised well over a million quid in crowd funding making it the most well backed documentary in history. There's no way in hell people would back Picard or Disco like that.
Also, Eaglemoss has just released the biggest ship model they have ever made for Trek.. it's Star Trek: TNG's Enterprise.. Not any of the new series ships.
So people in general just don't seem to like the new shows.

I have the Discovery Enterprise from Eaglemoss, it actually doesn't look too bad. Keeping my hands firmly in pockets and not looking at any others at the moment....

The whole social media thing around the show is hilarious as well.

Point out inconsistencies and poor writing and characterisation
Get called a hater and told to go and watch something else
Stops watching and tells everyone they know to not bother and watch better programmes instead
Shocked Pikachu face

They went mental when I mention that I had to google the names of most of the bridge crew I was supposed to care about. I know Detmer and with a huge effort remembered Owu, but the black guy? The asian guy? Random bridge woman? Anyone? They've been in the show all the time and we've learned nothing about them. By the end of the third series of TOS I knew the name Kirk's Yeoman whose only job was handing him the pad to sign.
That has been a big problem for me and one reason the show is too weak. How many characters can people name? There is Burnham and other people who make her look better.

anyone who 'loves' Voyager should not comment on storylines, acting, or casting - 7 years of shite, at least Enterprise had the good manners to get cancelled early :)
Voyager is the worst Trek for me. Didn't stop me watching every episode though.

I always think they had a plan and bottled it. The Starfleet/Marquis split wasn't that big of a deal for the most part, the year of hell should have lasted the better part of a season and had real consequences. Would rather have watched Star Trek: Equinox.

Voyager is the worst Trek for me. Didn't stop me watching every episode though.

I always think they had a plan and bottled it. The Starfleet/Marquis split wasn't that big of a deal for the most part, the year of hell should have lasted the better part of a season and had real consequences. Would rather have watched Star Trek: Equinox.
Is it just me who finds the idea of "years" a bit weird when you live on a spaceship. Its not like you have seasons.

I was avoiding this thread until I watched S3. Much better than the other two, but still struggling.

It is still very much the Michael Burnham show and could be worse now she is captain. The first episode was awful. You talk about her being the star, with the ship and the rest of the crew to support, but they were not even in it. It was still very much the case that she solved every major problem. I waited a month after the first episode before trying again with the rest.

The two mirror universe episodes were a waste of screen time. Does anyone really give a toss about the people and timeline there?

The cause of the burn. Something that changed the galaxy as they know it, top scientists have worked on it for decades, but they didn’t have Burnham who solved it in a few months. And then it turned out to be a kid having a tantrum.

I thought they did a bit more with Stamits and he is improved now we see the human side. Having a bit of argument between him, Tilly and short hair other engineering woman give a bit more depth. But the fact that I don’t know a major characters name shows how much poor development there is.

The two mirror universe episodes were a waste of screen time. Does anyone really give a toss about the people and timeline there?

The cause of the burn. Something that changed the galaxy as they know it, top scientists have worked on it for decades, but they didn’t have Burnham who solved it in a few months. And then it turned out to be a kid having a tantrum.

I thought they did a bit more with Stamits and he is improved now we see the human side. Having a bit of argument between him, Tilly and short hair other engineering woman give a bit more depth. But the fact that I don’t know a major characters name shows how much poor development there is.
I usually hate the mirror universe stuff, as it has nothing to do with the actual story - so I'll give them credit for changing this in Discovery, it does actually make a difference this time.

The snarky engineer lass, aye, no idea what she's called either - but she seems to have only turned up towards the end of season 2?

I usually hate the mirror universe stuff, as it has nothing to do with the actual story - so I'll give them credit for changing this in Discovery, it does actually make a difference this time.

The snarky engineer lass, aye, no idea what she's called either - but she seems to have only turned up towards the end of season 2?
They found her on a crashed ship in a junkyard.

I quite like her, seems a bit more real than the other characters. Good at her job, sarcastic, can’t be arsed half the time and just wants to get to the end of her shift for a drink. I can identify with that.

I quite like her, seems a bit more real than the other characters. Good at her job, sarcastic, can’t be arsed half the time and just wants to get to the end of her shift for a drink. I can identify with that.
Ah yes, I remember now

Aye she's one of the best characters. No BS "I love maths" or "I love science" emotes while being an ensign captain. She just gets her shit done and is sarky

Back