Star Trek : Discovery

What I'm suggesting is that 5 seasons of squabbling has gotten old and they have a perfect opportunity to feature more of the aliens in the show. They can do that and still keep them mysterious and so advanced that they can't be understood, many sci-fi shows have done that with ultra-advanced races.
The 'new' Battlestar Galactica had a similar problem where it just turned into a soap opera and stopped being sci-fi.

Aye OK. My perspective is probably influenced by familiarity with the books and the potential afforded by that medium to detail the concepts mor fully and to be more nuanced. They've changed a great deal in order to make it 'televisual' - even the storyline and experiences of many characters... what a character did in one book is done by another in the tv series, some bits are covered in a couple of minutes and have far less tension and drama than the written version. I suppose what works on the page (and in my imagination) doesn't transmit to what can be achieved on TV. Which is why I often avoid the books if I've seen the movie and avoid the movie if I've read the book. As I've said, it took me quite a few episodes... maybe even a few series ... before I could stop myself irritating the wife with constant utterances of "... that didn't happen like that in the books.." :). But I still got enough to enjoy most of it, although bits were a little turgid.

And all this on a Star Trek Discovery thread. :lol:

Re your Spoiler: They’re following the books. They digress from them very often. But to do so to the extent you’ve suggested would be an invention of a whole new universe. The book that series 6 will mostly be based upon - if it’s ever made - hasn’t come out yet, but I seriously doubt that what you suggest will happen in it.
Series 6 will be based on Babylon’s ashes mostly, book 6. You’re not suggesting they’ll skip books 6,7,8 and focus on the only unreleased book 9?

Series 6 will be based on Babylon’s ashes mostly, book 6. You’re not suggesting they’ll skip books 6,7,8 and focus on the only unreleased book 9?

I don't recall the book titles but at the rate they skip through some elements of the books they'll not have a problem in covering huge chunks of story by just missing things out (a certain characters death due to the sacking of an actor may help) - and from a recollection of what I've been told - they will be completing the television version with the next season which will culminate with the same ending as the final book 9. I may have been misinformed but that's what I understand. Sorry about he sentence construction but I can't be arsed to edit

I don't recall the book titles but at the rate they skip through some elements of the books they'll not have a problem in covering huge chunks of story by just missing things out (a certain characters death due to the sacking of an actor may help) - and from a recollection of what I've been told - they will be completing the television version with the next season which will culminate with the same ending as the final book 9. I may have been misinformed but that's what I understand. Sorry about he sentence construction but I can't be arsed to edit
I got the meaning. 😉

From what I’ve read. Mostly from whichever one of them runs the James SA Corey Twitter account is that series 6 will be book 6 as each series so far has more or less covered each book (with as you say certain elements changed around)
As there is a significant time Jump between books 6&7 their thinking is they might come back to book/series 7 at a later date and continue. They’re hoping the tv series isn’t done completely

it’s not gonna jump to book 9. (I hope not anyway there’s so much good stuff in books 6,7,8 it would be ridiculous to skip over them)

I've got to say for the first time in my life I'm not fussed. After a long break thinking about it and with brief moments of it being average, I've come to the conclusion Disco and Picard are just garbage. Now that they have cemented the genocidal, multi order disobeying saviour of the universe as captain, Disco has cemented itself as just garbage. Picard is a mess too, but in slightly different ways.
Unfortunately SNW is almost certainly going to be tainted too, signified that the very first piece of news they make available about the show is that they have a new none binary character in it too, whooo hooo! The last news about Discovery is that the bridge crew was all women and there are no men, as if that's a good thing ffs. Thing is, it's not even true.
With those sort of priorities it's just nuts. Star Trek in the form that made it great is dead. It's something completely different now and just a husk of it's former greatness.

Ironically, even though it's a low brow comedy, Lower Decks is the only one that actually feels like Star Trek and the only one I'm looking forward too.

Didnt even finish the last season of Discovery not sure I'll bother tbh.

Picard I liked probably more for Patrick Stewart and nostalgic reasons, I know it wasnt generally liked but I'll happily watch more of that.

Didnt even finish the last season of Discovery not sure I'll bother tbh.

Picard I liked probably more for Patrick Stewart and nostalgic reasons, I know it wasnt generally liked but I'll happily watch more of that.
The first half of season 3 was ok, I thought it had finally got better. Then the last half was as bad as it's ever been. Some really stupid things happened the further you got towards the end of the season.
I think Picard will be little more than a nostalgia show for old actors to make cameos. They have already screwed with the memories of what was good about TNG. It's pathetic really.

more interested in Discovery than Picard - looks like more 'building back the federation' stuff which could be interesting, finding out what's happened to the other big players in this time period
Unfortunately the "building back the federation' stuff" was completely ignored in the second half of the season 3 and could have/should have been great. It's almost as if they fired all of the writers half way through the season or something because the focus became all about pew-pew fights with the Orion lass, holding hands and was boring. "The Burn" was just a really big wet fart that turned out to be a kid having as tantrum. Garbage.
Looking at the trailer for Season 4, it's going to be the same shit again. Gravitational Anomaly that will break the universe.. then Burnham will save us all!

I've got to say for the first time in my life I'm not fussed. After a long break thinking about it and with brief moments of it being average, I've come to the conclusion Disco and Picard are just garbage.
I've stopped reading reviews of these shows, and just watch them.
And its so much better for it.

I thought Discovery S3 was excellent, in parts it was fantastic. If other bits didn't quite work, I didn't worry about it too much.

I think people over-think TV shows at times, and I think some TV shows go way to far to be "deep". Westworld, for example. Ist a chore at times just watching that.

I've stopped reading reviews of these shows, and just watch them.
And its so much better for it.

I thought Discovery S3 was excellent, in parts it was fantastic. If other bits didn't quite work, I didn't worry about it too much.

I think people over-think TV shows at times, and I think some TV shows go way to far to be "deep". Westworld, for example. Ist a chore at times just watching that.
I tend to agree. As I've got older I've tried to enjoy more than critique.
Westworld though. Ffs, I watched the final 3 or 4 of S1 one bank holiday weekend whilst enjoying the odd drink.
It wasn't till I spoke to a mate a week later I realised it was based over 2 separate time periods :oops::eek::lol::lol:

Picard was so bad it was embarrassing.
Discovery is by far the worst of the rest.
I was so disappointed in these two offerings as I loved TNG and Voyager.

The story lines are rubbish
The acting is woeful
The casting is shocking.
Every now and again you get an episode that promises to turn it all around, but by the time next week rolls around it disappoints again.

Ok I'll watch it then ... but this is the last last time honest.

Oh yes and why is everyone in the future suddenly gay?

The acting is woeful
The casting is shocking.
Every now and again you get an episode that promises to turn it all around, but by the time next week rolls around it disappoints again.

I must admit that I’ve struggled with both of them. As someone who has watched endless reruns of all the original series I just can’t pin down why I can’t get away with the new series and I include Enterprise in that. Maybe it’s the fact that Gene Roddenberry is no longer there to chose the actors and characters or to demand the writers keep to canon. Whatever it is it feels as though Star Trek is trying too hard to be politically correct and has lost its soul somewhere along the way.

The acting is woeful
The casting is shocking.

Everyone?? or just a normal subset of the population that previously had no representation in the programme?

I think The Orville is the best modern interpretation of Star Trek.

I know it's a spoof, but it seems to be getting more serious and the characters and story lines are more in line with the original.

Season 3 filming now and due for release on Hulu, so will need to be .... acquired.

The acting is woeful
The casting is shocking.

anyone who 'loves' Voyager should not comment on storylines, acting, or casting - 7 years of shite, at least Enterprise had the good manners to get cancelled early :)

I just watched the first ever episode of Star Trek with the intention of watching them all - I haven't seen it before. Then I plan on watching Battlestar Galactica.

Back