Star Trek : Discovery

Like I said earlier, DS9 was my favourite, until I heard how they ripped the idea off the writer of Babylon 5 and didn't even give him credit let alone his rightful share of the money.

DS9 is forever forever tainted for me now.

It's also not even as good as B5 with the exception of the visual effects despite having a massive budget in comparison.

So now, Next Gen has gone back to being my favourite ST.
They didn't rip of B5 when they made DS9.

The B5 creators pitched it to networks, including Paramount. Paramount passed, probably because they already had the Star Trek brand and were looking at a new spin off show seeing as TNG was on its wind down.

There's been nothing to suggest the show runners for Trek ripped off B5, although it is possible they were unknowingly steered in some ways by the network.

The fact that nobody was sued in litigious America over it speaks volumes.

They didn't rip of B5 when they made DS9.

The B5 creators pitched it to networks, including Paramount. Paramount passed, probably because they already had the Star Trek brand and were looking at a new spin off show seeing as TNG was on its wind down.

There's been nothing to suggest the show runners for Trek ripped off B5, although it is possible they were unknowingly steered in some ways by the network.

The fact that nobody was sued in litigious America over it speaks volumes.

JMS couldn't be bothered to sue, I heard. Probably didn't want to burn any bridges that might prevent him getting work in the future.

Thats not possible, they have already said it's not. (Thank God)

They also insisted John Harrison wasn't Khan.

I think Kelvin would make sense for a lot of reasons. It explains the technology and why we've never heard of Spocks adopted sister til now. It also frees them from future continuity which is what did for Enterprise.

As long as it's good I'm not bothered what timeline it's in.

They also insisted John Harrison wasn't Khan.

I think Kelvin would make sense for a lot of reasons. It explains the technology and why we've never heard of Spocks adopted sister til now. It also frees them from future continuity which is what did for Enterprise.

As long as it's good I'm not bothered what timeline it's in.

John Harrison was a smokescreen to hide a plot twist/character reveal before the movie was released. There's no reason to do that to hide a Kelvin-vrse, it just doesn't make any sense.
Fuller's own words says it's prime.
Not to mention CBS does not have legal access to Paramount's IP which is where the Kelvin universe exists.
The only similarities are some modern production values and a bridge plaque I've seen.
This is something that fan sites and close reviews of the trailers by Trekyard et al have agreed with.

If anything, it's actually a new mini-reboot / universe. Which while I'm not happy with as to me existing lore is very important, it's still better than the Kelvin timeline.

My own personal theory is that there's a rip in space time. That half of the characters in this series are stuck in one universe while the others are stuck in another. That one of those universes is "collapsing" and they have to be saved.

We'll see in a few hours though

John Harrison was a smokescreen to hide a plot twist/character reveal before the movie was released. There's no reason to do that to hide a Kelvin-vrse, it just doesn't make any sense.
Fuller's own words says it's prime.
Not to mention CBS does not have legal access to Paramount's IP which is where the Kelvin universe exists.
The only similarities are some modern production values and a bridge plaque I've seen.
This is something that fan sites and close reviews of the trailers by Trekyard et al have agreed with.

If anything, it's actually a new mini-reboot / universe. Which while I'm not happy with as to me existing lore is very important, it's still better than the Kelvin timeline.

My own personal theory is that there's a rip in space time. That half of the characters in this series are stuck in one universe while the others are stuck in another. That one of those universes is "collapsing" and they have to be saved.

We'll see in a few hours though

I think we'll start in one universe and end up in the other at some point. I just can't see how they get from how it looks now to 60s Trek in just a couple of years (because The Cage was set a good few years before Kirk and co) without a universe switch. To do it in the prime timeline is too big a leap to ask of an audience as obsessed as Trekkers. Like I said, I hope it's great, but it'll have to work very hard to be great in the prime canon.

I've just seen the full opening credits (can't get a link for here sorry)
It's like a mix of Game of Thrones and Fringe.
Visually it's ok.. nothing special with technical drawings morphing into one another.
But the actual theme tune itself is very uninspired. It's a very GoT sound and doesn't actually have a theme at all, there's nothing you can whistle or hum.
Even Enterprise had an actual "tune"
I'm actually very disappointed because Star Trek's theme tunes have been extremely important to the shows themselves. This one is immediately forgettable.

I've just seen the full opening credits (can't get a link for here sorry)
It's like a mix of Game of Thrones and Fringe.
Visually it's ok.. nothing special with technical drawings morphing into one another.
But the actual theme tune itself is very uninspired. It's a very GoT sound and doesn't actually have a theme at all, there's nothing you can whistle or hum.
Even Enterprise had an actual "tune"
I'm actually very disappointed because Star Trek's theme tunes have been extremely important to the shows themselves. This one is immediately forgettable.
A crap theme tune eh what do we have here, ive never heard no crap tv theme tunes before?

Back