Star Trek : Discovery

It's just speculation based on this interview...

It'll be a 1-episode cameo at best. He's very old now. It's been 25 years since he did Picard and he is pushing 80. I'd love to see the TNG cast get a cameo in STD but that's all it'll be.
It's based on more than just that interview, but that did indeed kick the speculation off.

Since then there been slightly more concrete connections to him and Trek:
his: Alex Kurtzman Inks $25M Overall Deal Extension With CBS TV Studios, Will Expand 'Star Trek' TV Franchise

"The new deal comes as rumblings about another Star Trek series, featuring Patrick Stewart reprising his role as Star Trek: The Next Generation's Capt. Jean-Luc Picard, have been getting louder. Sources say Kurtzman and Akiva Goldsman, who left Discovery after season one, are attached to the Stewart-led reboot. CBS TV Studios declined to confirm the Stewart project as sources say a deal is far from completed and may not happen, despite the fact that the actor recently teased his potential return to the franchise."

There's no reason why he can't do a mini-series or be a part-time guest (like Guinan). As I said just last year he was a regular in a weekly TV-series in the US.

It's based on more than just that interview, but that did indeed kick the speculation off.

Since then there been slightly more concrete connections to him and Trek:
his: Alex Kurtzman Inks $25M Overall Deal Extension With CBS TV Studios, Will Expand 'Star Trek' TV Franchise

"The new deal comes as rumblings about another Star Trek series, featuring Patrick Stewart reprising his role as Star Trek: The Next Generation's Capt. Jean-Luc Picard, have been getting louder. Sources say Kurtzman and Akiva Goldsman, who left Discovery after season one, are attached to the Stewart-led reboot. CBS TV Studios declined to confirm the Stewart project as sources say a deal is far from completed and may not happen, despite the fact that the actor recently teased his potential return to the franchise."

There's no reason why he can't do a mini-series or be a part-time guest (like Guinan). As I said just last year he was a regular in a weekly TV-series in the US.
That whole Picard rumour is based on that video I posted mate. It links to this article Rumor: Patrick Stewart Teasing Star Trek Discovery Appearance?

It's just speculation. Don't get your hopes up just yet.

He's in no shape to do a full series tbf. Cameo in STD at best.

God I hope so.. They have said they would be tying DISCO back to cannon during season 2. Although for me the big one is the Klingons and I dunno how they fix that. I know we all had ideas about alternative timeline this that and tuther.. but I get the feeling they wont be doing that.

The Klingons can't be fixed in disco. The look of them fine, just hand wave it like they did by having worf just say 'I don't want to talk about it' in the tribble ds9 episode when they saw Kor as just a guy instead of a Klingon. But the Klingons became one of the most important cultures through star Trek, explored more deeply than any other including Vulcan and Terran. Disco writers did a JJ Abrams 'well I'm not reading that there's 15 f***ing pages' job on the lore and it's gone back to inexplicably monstrous monsters in space

That whole Picard rumour is based on that video I posted mate. It's just speculation. Don't get your hopes up just yet.

He's in no shape to do a full series tbf. Cameo in STD at best.
Several very credible hollywood and industry magazines say your wrong and I've also said he already has been doing a full TV series last year. My hopes will remain high until a credible source says otherwise.

So I suppose everyone had heard the absolutely amazing strong rumours in the last few weeks that Patrick Stewart is returning to Star Trek and that we'll have 5.. yes five new Star Trek shows as well as 2 films!

Bonkers if true!

Alex Kurtzman Sets Five-Year CBS TV Studios Pact, Will Oversee Expanded ‘Star Trek’ Universe

Also, DISCO news:
Star Trek: Discovery is 'most popular streaming show'

Interesting, there has been Academy series floating around for quite a few years, just keeps getting shelved.

Not sure I’m in favour of a Patrick Stewart return, don’t get me wrong I like him as an actor and also for he’s done for Star Trek, but don’t think he will fit in how the franchise seems to be heading.

They all link to that video as the source of the rumour though.
They all link back for that being the original spark for the rumour but it's being reported in several sci-fi/trek and industry magazines that it's moved on from there with some signs or credibility.

For example that quote I posted earlier from The Hollywood Reporter says "Sources say Kurtzman and Akiva Goldsman, who left Discovery after season one, are attached to the Stewart-led reboot." This has nothing to do with that video and states very clearly that industry sources have said that there's a connection with Stewart and Trek in some way.

Sure it might not happen, but when industry leading mags like that say "sources" you have to give it some credence.

And as far as him being too old, again he was on a weekly basis recording a TV show in America last year. So he'd be more than capable of doing a short mini-series (or what I think is a voice over for a new animated series). With TV shows being much shorter than they used to be, there's no reason why he could not have a reoccurring but not every week role in a full sized series too.

New Season 2 trailer:

SDCC18: ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Season 2 First Look Teaser And Images Released

A few speculative points

1) I wonder if Pike becomes the new permanent Captain of Discovery, or at least semi-permanent. I say this because of the change of uniforms he makes during the trailer. I could be way off base here, and it might be for the duration of the mission. Will this leave an alternative route for Kirk to become the captain of Enterprise?
2) They chickened out of showing Spock.. he's "on leave" hmm.
3) The trailer shows far too much levity.. are they taking a leaf out of Orville's book and trying to be less dark and more jokey? or is it just the trailer cut?
4) The chief engineer might have sarcastic dry humour, which I think would work well. A bit like bones.

At least they are doing some exploring now.. even if it is due to a potential threat.

2019 can't come soon enough.

Issues already with the trailer - why take the Discovery when you've got a Constitution class sat there? You know, the ones designed to bugger off into deep space for half a decade to encounter exactly what they're describing in the trailer?

Pike looks a little lightweight to me.

Cop out on Spock - our first look will be the last 30 seconds of the finale, nailed on. That's why there's no word on casting yet.

I thought the new uniforms would be an improvement, but the black collar makes Pike look like an ageing vain rock star.

New Season 2 trailer:

SDCC18: ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Season 2 First Look Teaser And Images Released

A few speculative points

1) I wonder if Pike becomes the new permanent Captain of Discovery, or at least semi-permanent. I say this because of the change of uniforms he makes during the trailer. I could be way off base here, and it might be for the duration of the mission. Will this leave an alternative route for Kirk to become the captain of Enterprise?
2) They chickened out of showing Spock.. he's "on leave" hmm.
3) The trailer shows far too much levity.. are they taking a leaf out of Orville's book and trying to be less dark and more jokey? or is it just the trailer cut?
4) The chief engineer might have sarcastic dry humour, which I think would work well. A bit like bones.

At least they are doing some exploring now.. even if it is due to a potential threat.

2019 can't come soon enough.

I like the levity. It was an integral part of classic trek and it belongs there.

Issues already with the trailer - why take the Discovery when you've got a Constitution class sat there? You know, the ones designed to bugger off into deep space for half a decade to encounter exactly what they're describing in the trailer?

Pike looks a little lightweight to me.

Cop out on Spock - our first look will be the last 30 seconds of the finale, nailed on. That's why there's no word on casting yet.

I thought the new uniforms would be an improvement, but the black collar makes Pike look like an ageing vain rock star.
The reason is that those red blobs are half a galaxy away. A warp drive would take forever to get to them, unlike a spore drive
Update on the cop out on Spock. It's confirmed he will appear at some point, but the theory is that it's in a flashback of him as a child
Regarding the uniforms not looking exactly like The Cage.. This takes place several years after that episode and before Kirk's era.. So it's uncharted ground

I like the levity. It was an integral part of classic trek and it belongs there.
Not to the point of sneezing snots on a face.. That literally is just childishness

The reason is that those red blobs are half a galaxy away. A warp drive would take forever to get to them, unlike a spore drive
Update on the cop out on Spock. It's confirmed he will appear at some point, but the theory is that it's in a flashback of him as a child
Regarding the uniforms not looking exactly like The Cage.. This takes place several years after that episode and before Kirk's era.. So it's uncharted ground

Not to the point of sneezing snots on a face.. That literally is just childishness

I must admit that part left me cold, but I’m not a fan of slapstick comedy. What’s his name falling through the bar in Only Fools and Horses makes me just yawn. I thought that you were complaining about the crew member saying she thought they were going to die.

I must admit that part left me cold, but I’m not a fan of slapstick comedy. What’s his name falling through the bar in Only Fools and Horses makes me just yawn. I thought that you were complaining about the crew member saying she thought they were going to die.
No I like that sort of humour if it's done right, a bit like bones and Dr. Polaski. She could be an interesting character as chief engineer. I also like slapstick anarl, just as long as it's just not stupidly childish like that last scene was. I mean.. I love carry on films :lol:

I liked the trailer but it seems like the plot was a way of shoehorning The Enterprise and Pike into the Discovery universe.
The full series might play out a bit better than the trailer suggests, hopefully.

Back