Star Trek : Discovery

I just got back from an enforced month in the Delta quadrant, so here's my half term report.

I really like Discovery, it's grown into a good series since the dodgy first three episodes. The last 3 were excellent. The last one was up there with the best of the other parts of the franchise. The characters I liked least at the start, Stamets and Tilly, have grown on me and I now think they're excellent. Lorca is now my favourite Captain after Kirk (both versions). But I still don't like the lanky streak of bacon rashers.

Did we all realise that Paul Stamets is a real life mycologist (fungus botherer), on which the character was based??

HJ Isaacs is a colossus. Obviously nobody has ever precisely copied their own real life appearance, voice, accent, gait, mannerisms and facial expressions for their role as brilliantly as Patrick Stewart did, both for Capt JLP and for every other role he played on stage and screen, and Isaacs let himself down by apparently not being able to speak and behave like he does off set or in other roles, but still.

The Orville is great too. That last episode with the scary clown in was excellent, and it's been consistently worth watching. I don't get the shit reviews at all.

Roll on next week (The Orville) and next year (Discovery).

Last edited:
I just got back from an enforced month in the Delta quadrant, so here's my half term report.

I really like Discovery, it's grown into a good series since the dodgy first three episodes. The last 3 were excellent. The last one was up there with the best of the other parts of the franchise. The characters I liked least at the start, Stamets and Tilly, have grown on me and I now think they're excellent. Lorca is now my favourite Captain after Kirk (both versions). Did we all realise that Paul Stamets is a real life ??

HJ Isaacs is a colossus. Obviously nobody has ever precisely copied their own real life appearance, voice, accent, gait, mannerisms and facial expressions for their role as brilliantly as Patrick Stewart did, both for Capt JLP and for every other role he played on stage and screen, and Isaacs let himself down by apparently not being able to speak and behave like he does off set or in other roles, but still.

The Orville is great too. That last episode with the scary clown in was excellent, and it's been consistently worth watching. I don't get the shit reviews at all.

Roll on next week (The Orville) and next year (Discovery).
Easy now

Ok watched 3 episodes of Orville and got to say im really enjoying it so far. Not a massive fan of Seth MacFarlanes live action stuff but it's great so far, better than discovery IMHO

Ok watched 3 episodes of Orville and got to say im really enjoying it so far. Not a massive fan of Seth MacFarlanes live action stuff but it's great so far, better than discovery IMHO
Its gets better every episode the most recent 2 or 3 eps are totally class.

It's all gone quiet. The Orville's still going you know, with another good episode last week, which had a strong TOS and TNG feel to it.

Remember how Star Trek reality was once split into a (light) prime universe and a (dark) mirror universe?

IMHO that's what's happened with the telly. "Star Trek" on the telly has been split into the light (Orville) and dark (Discovery).

Could have been a disaster, but both are excellent for their own reasons. Long may they continue, and what a great time for a Trekkie to be alive (apart from football, disease, famine, war, climate, poverty, and - worst of all - no forthcoming movie it seems).

Finished the lot over the weekend. Got to say I'm very impressed, really good tv, not too bothered about the overall cannon even though I would consider myself a trekkie. Can't wait for the 2nd half of the season. Great special effects, don't mind the Klingons at all and has the Star Trek feel. Solid 8.

Love Lorca, Tyler, Stammets and even Burnham. Mudd was a bit funny, not sure how I felt about him but still willing him to come back for cameos.

I thought I liked Star Trek

After reading this thread and being utterly bemused and mystified by references to quadrants, galactic history, spaceship design, makeup and prosthetics, directors and acronyms that I can't be bother to decipher and probably wouldn't understand if I did... well I've realised that I probably haven't watch it at all.

The last episode of the Orville was class. The captain and first officer hungover to fuck:lol: asking for the view screen light to be turned down and her guzzling down a pint of water on the shuttle craft. Just class little touches :lol:
It's TNG but people gan to the bog

The Orville is the best tv i've seen for ages.

Love discovery too.

I'm caught up on both but when do they return?

The last episode of the Orville was class. The captain and first officer hungover to fuck:lol: asking for the view screen light to be turned down and her guzzling down a pint of water on the shuttle craft. Just class little touches :lol:
It's TNG but people gan to the bog
Funny as out when that alien guy tried to eat the gumball, spat my coffee all over the television screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's all gone quiet. The Orville's still going you know, with another good episode last week, which had a strong TOS and TNG feel to it.

Remember how Star Trek reality was once split into a (light) prime universe and a (dark) mirror universe?

IMHO that's what's happened with the telly. "Star Trek" on the telly has been split into the light (Orville) and dark (Discovery).

Could have been a disaster, but both are excellent for their own reasons. Long may they continue, and what a great time for a Trekkie to be alive (apart from football, disease, famine, war, climate, poverty, and - worst of all - NO FORTHCOMING MOVIE IT SEEMS).
There’s some strong rumours regarding Tarantino getting involved in the next film. He’s pitched an idea for the story and he’s even up for directing it.
Could be interesting!

There’s some strong rumours regarding Tarantino getting involved in the next film. He’s pitched an idea for the story and he’s even up for directing it.
Could be interesting!
He is currently making a film on Charles Manson, Tom Cruise is starring in it.

Back