Star Trek : Discovery

So what's everyone's theory behind the Lt. Stamets mirror scene at the very end?
I think his consciousness is free to roam the spore network independent of his physical body. Showing that the mind can indeed exist outside of the brain and that our reality is not what it seems @ProfessionalMackem

lalalalalalala sounds mint lalalalalalalalalaalllal havent seen it yet lalalallalallalalalalall

Caught up now. Imagine my surprise at geeking out over the mirror scene then finding out the big deal is it was a gay couple brushing their teeth. People are absolute bellends.

just seen ep 5 - not homophobic, but surely that is just wrong - even if they were hetero you cannot have crew members shagging each other.
You'd think, but it depends on the discretion of the captain as far as I can tell, even though Starfleet regulations prohibit it in certain circumstances with direct chain of command. There's been relationships between Starfleet officers in TNG, Enterprise, DS9 and VOY. TOS not AFAIK (Kirk's were with non Startfleet women)

Regulation 1138
This regulation covers fraternization between Starfleet members. Starfleet members may not engage in business or romantic relationships with superiors in their direct chain of command, inasmuch as this may be harmful to discipline and/or the functioning of the organization. Clause Beta prohibits officer/enlisted relationships, Clause Gamma covers relationships between one officer and another subordinate officer, and Clause Theta prohibits a commanding officer or other unit head from being in a relationship with any other member of their unit.

Anti-fraternization policies are common to nearly all codes of military law, but Starfleet's is notably looser than usual due to the dual nature of the service as both a military service and an exploratory and diplomatic service. Because Federation starships are often out for months or even years at a time between ports, it is practically inevitable for such relationships to form, and so R-1138 has been interpreted rather loosely by the Starfleet Judge Advocate General's Corps with the emphasis being on preventing only relationships verifiably harmful to the organization rather than any relationship at all. Overly familiar platonic relationships are also banned, but are generally overlooked for much the same reason. The regulation does not prohibit relationships between Starfleet personnel in different departments or specialties within the same unit, even in cases of rank difference, as the participants are not in the same direct chain of command.

You'd think, but it depends on the discretion of the captain as far as I can tell, even though Starfleet regulations prohibit it in certain circumstances with direct chain of command. There's been relationships between Starfleet officers in TNG, Enterprise, DS9 and VOY. TOS not AFAIK (Kirk's were with non Startfleet women)

Regulation 1138
This regulation covers fraternization between Starfleet members. Starfleet members may not engage in business or romantic relationships with superiors in their direct chain of command, inasmuch as this may be harmful to discipline and/or the functioning of the organization. Clause Beta prohibits officer/enlisted relationships, Clause Gamma covers relationships between one officer and another subordinate officer, and Clause Theta prohibits a commanding officer or other unit head from being in a relationship with any other member of their unit.

Anti-fraternization policies are common to nearly all codes of military law, but Starfleet's is notably looser than usual due to the dual nature of the service as both a military service and an exploratory and diplomatic service. Because Federation starships are often out for months or even years at a time between ports, it is practically inevitable for such relationships to form, and so R-1138 has been interpreted rather loosely by the Starfleet Judge Advocate General's Corps with the emphasis being on preventing only relationships verifiably harmful to the organization rather than any relationship at all. Overly familiar platonic relationships are also banned, but are generally overlooked for much the same reason. The regulation does not prohibit relationships between Starfleet personnel in different departments or specialties within the same unit, even in cases of rank difference, as the participants are not in the same direct chain of command.

so it seems like its ok? still seems dodgy to me, I hope we are not going down the SOAP road and concentrating on personal relationship drama now.

I am not interested in two officers brushing their teeth together frankly.

Last edited:
so it seems like its ok? still seems dodgy to me, I hope we are not going down the SOAP road and concentrating on personal relationship drama now
The reason it's lax compared to the Navy and Army is because Starfleet's activities are mostly not military in nature. So it's just like an office or scientific lab with a chain of command like the armed forces.
However, bumming in the turbolift is a big no no like :lol:

It was

Unless this is a woooosh.. watch it again marra

I'm not sure I explained that well tbh. The big thing for me is the mirror in that scene - it's clearly a massive story point whichever way it develops. I then go on the internet and find out there's 'outrage' and whatever the opposite to outrage is that the scene involves an obviously gay couple (as if it wasn't already completely obvious by their interactions throughout the episode anyway). It's barmy.

I mean Riker's sex life makes Captain Jack Harkness look picky, but nobody cared because it was rarely a story point. People can do what they like behind closed doors as long as it's not hurting anyone else.

Back