Star Trek : Discovery

And yet the two JJA Trek movies are the two top rated.
Generic Sci-Fi, with LAZORS and "punch it" taglines will always appeal to a bigger audience.
I prefer 'Treks smaller niche audiences. Smaller budgets, smaller revenue, much better stories and proper Star Trek.
Fuck JJ and hope him and his ilk never comes near the franchise again.
Anyway best get to kip so I can be thoroughly f***ing bored between 3pm and 4:45pm at the SOL.

Generic Sci-Fi, with LAZORS and "punch it" taglines will always appeal to a bigger audience.
I prefer 'Treks smaller niche audiences. Smaller budgets, smaller revenue, much better stories and proper Star Trek.
Fuck JJ and hope him and his ilk never comes near the franchise again.
Anyway best get to kip so I can be thoroughly f***ing bored between 3pm and 4:45pm at the SOL.
Which bores normal people to death. Hence the films dying on their arses until JJA reinvigorated them. Without which there wouldn't have been any new Trek on big or small screen. Remember that.

Which bores normal people to death. Hence the films dying on their arses until JJA reinvigorated them. Without which there wouldn't have been any new Trek on big or small screen. Remember that.
3 out of 4 TNG films were mediocre tbf.

Nemesis probably lost money when you factor in promotion costs too.

Not surprising the franchise died.

I liked 2009 Trek, it felt like a decent reboot despite its flaws. Into darkness wasn't as good. I fell asleep through Beyond, twice. The rebooted franchise went in the wrong direction for me.

I don't understand why we can't have "Generic Sci-Fi, with LAZORS and "punch it"" AND a good story tbh. They aren't mutually exclusive.

Have a moral dilemma, have something allegorical about today's issues that people can think about, AND have shit blowing up with a flash of space bra.

Logon or register to see this image

3 out of 4 TNG films were mediocre tbf.

Nemesis probably lost money when you factor in promotion costs too.

Not surprising the franchise died.

I liked 2009 Trek, it felt like a decent reboot despite its flaws. Into darkness wasn't as good. I fell asleep through Beyond, twice. The rebooted franchise went in the wrong direction for me.

I don't understand why we can't have "Generic Sci-Fi, with LAZORS and "punch it"" AND a good story tbh. They aren't mutually exclusive.

Have a moral dilemma, have something allegorical about today's issues that people can think about, AND have shit blowing up with a flash of space bra.

Logon or register to see this image

I hated Beyond. It was everything I feared after hearing who were writing and directing it.

But I thought Into Darkness was excellent (it's the 2nd highest rated of all Trek films on IMDB).

Like the best of the franchise (The Voyage Home, The Undiscovered Country) it set its story around a present issue of importance. How far are we prepared to go to defend ourselves against a perceived threat? Are we prepared to stage a preemptive war? Are we willing to become like our (perceived) enemy, including waiving human rights and democratic accountability, in order to defeat them? Who is a soldier ultimately accountable to, his CO or his society?

All with a Kahn subplot with a cute role reversal twist.

I think those who bleat on about it missed the whole point. But that's their problem.

No contest with Alice Eve's body though. :lol:

Last edited:
Never been a massive Trek fan but do like me sci fi and quite enjoyed the new films so is this show worth watching from a sci fi point of view. Not arsed about timelines and continuity or whether it's a good Trek show, just if it's decent sci fi show.

There's been very few good St films tbh.

Mind, before beyond, they're was a plan for a worf series

And yet the two JJA Trek movies are the two top rated.
Justin beiber is highly rated...

The problem is, he changed St, it's got consider his shitfests as canon. Fundamentally changes all of St in future

You can, it's call Star Wars :lol:
How about action, a good story AND "Trekness", ala First Contact?
Or how about just those last two as Star Trek is very good at fantastic episodes that are extremely well written cerebral episodes that have little or no action. I realise that does great on TV and not in the big screen.
The JJ films only had the first of those possible 3 ingredients. The stories were no better than the very worst of the previous 'Trek movies but had 10x the budget and the "Trekness" was fairly low.

A lot of this is just subjective though and not worth arguing about :lol:

I'd say you'd like it. It's the fundamentalist Trekkies who have the problem.
I was a member of the Marquis like :lol:

Last edited:
You can, it's call Star Wars :lol:
How about action, a good story AND "Trekness", ala First Contact?
Or how about just those last two as Star Trek is very good at fantastic episodes that are extremely well written cerebral episodes that have little or no action. I realise that does great on TV and not in the big screen.
The JJ films only had the first of those possible 3 ingredients. The stories were no better than the very worst of the previous 'Trek movies but had 10x the budget and the "Trekness" was fairly low.

A lot of this is just subjective though and not worth arguing about :lol:

I was a member of the Marquis like :lol:
You missed out this mate:

Its very different IMHO and I'm an oldschool Trekkie

Watched Orville Ep 6, It's good.. It just works as a series without the side excuses that Discovery is getting.
I've given Discovery 2 seasons to become more like proper Trek like the others took, but modern TV audiences and agendas wont be that forgiving.
The Orville is an absolutely cracking show, really enjoyed episode 6.

Back