Star Trek : Discovery

The first twenty minutes of this week's episode has very little Burnham in it, so it's canny so far.
Going to manual control regenerates your shields, apparently.

Also, saving information that can win you a space battle until you're nearly dead. That might have been more useful at the beginning.

People are stoopid in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

> Going to manual control regenerates your shields, apparently.
Yes it can if you can avoid being hit by going manual instead of semi-auto.

> Also, saving information that can win you a space battle until you're nearly dead.
It was made clear he didn't yet trust the Federation. The imminent chance of death can often sway opinion :lol:

I thought it was a really good episode overall tbh, especially after the car crash choices in last weeks.
I'd say it's top 4... possibly a candidate for the best Disco episode. 8.5/10

It's either her or Spock.. but she stole his lifelong thunder last week.

"Female Space Jesus" as I've seen her called elsewhere.

Not only did she save the Universe (I bet everyone in the Galaxy Zog is grateful) but she shaped Spock into the person he was to become - despite only meeting him a few times and him never mentioning her again.

The Burnham character spoils the whole thing. The episodes where she spends 60 minutes on some emotional issue on the verge of crying are complete crap.
In fact, now I think about it the whole cast is crap, I can't think of one character that I warm to.

They just don't have any unique characteristics and are all a bit samey.

They never achieve anything, the Capt is wishy washy, the stories are crap and they never seem to get anywhere fast.
No Klingons, No Romulans, No Borg or anything like them.

Bring back reruns of TNG and Voyager for me.

The Burnham character spoils the whole thing. The episodes where she spends 60 minutes on some emotional issue on the verge of crying are complete crap.
In fact, now I think about it the whole cast is crap, I can't think of one character that I warm to.

They just don't have any unique characteristics and are all a bit samey.

They never achieve anything, the Capt is wishy washy, the stories are crap and they never seem to get anywhere fast.
No Klingons, No Romulans, No Borg or anything like them.

Bring back reruns of TNG and Voyager for me.

I think there's some potentially classic characters in there. Stamets, Culber, Reno, Saru. It's just they're usually fighting for room for the 10% of the episode that isn't about Burnham.

This week's was much better because we saw a lot more of them. They even *gasps* solve a couple of problems without Female Space Jesus.

I am very disappointed at the way this series is being handled, poor writing and poor acting.

It just scifi by numbers at the minute. I look forward to watched The Mandalorian way more than this.

I remember when Next Gen was the new show, having to wait once a month to nip into WH Smith in Durham to pick up the VHS cassette of the next two episodes, rather than wait to watch it on BBC2. I definitely wouldn’t be rushing out to eagerly buy if it was Discovery.

I seem to remember doing the same with DS9 and Voyager....

I am very disappointed at the way this series is being handled, poor writing and poor acting.

It just scifi by numbers at the minute. I look forward to watched The Mandalorian way more than this.

I remember when Next Gen was the new show, having to wait once a month to nip into WH Smith in Durham to pick up the VHS cassette of the next two episodes, rather than wait to watch it on BBC2. I definitely wouldn’t be rushing out to eagerly buy if it was Discovery.

I seem to remember doing the same with DS9 and Voyager....
All previous series had the Captain as the lead character, but they all developed the secondary characters and their back stories to a greater or lesser extent. apart from Burnham and Saru, you wouldn’t really have much of an idea about the rest of the crew.
Taking Discovery into the future has exacerbated this as no one really has any relevant past anymore.
I take what you have said about the poor acting, but I think the main problem is poor scripts and character development.

Interesting episode. Although all the whispering by Burnham is really irritating.

I wonder if “Carl” is a member of the Q continuum?

Christ on a f***ing bike. Back to the place that ruined S1 for the S3 finale.

For a show that made a big deal about going into the far future they aren't half obsessed with the past.

Back