Star Observatory at Keilder

We went last May. We picked the worst night ever to go as it was thick of cloud, raining and we never saw a single star! I was kind of dreading going wondering how they were going to fill the time in.

The evening flew over and it was really interesting. The men talking were very passionate and drew you into what they were saying and there was plenty of audience interaction asking questions and discussing things. My 10 year old enjoyed it and didn't get bored although some parts went over her head. I would definitely go again and pray for a clearer night!

If you're stopping up there, go to Kielder Birds of Prey centre. That was fabulous too. The man who runs it loves his birds and you can have plenty of hands on experience handling hawks and owls and other birds. I had a vulture sitting on my knee because she wanted a cuddle :lol:

We went last May. We picked the worst night ever to go as it was thick of cloud, raining and we never saw a single star! I was kind of dreading going wondering how they were going to fill the time in.

The evening flew over and it was really interesting. The men talking were very passionate and drew you into what they were saying and there was plenty of audience interaction asking questions and discussing things. My 10 year old enjoyed it and didn't get bored although some parts went over her head. I would definitely go again and pray for a clearer night!

If you're stopping up there, go to Kielder Birds of Prey centre. That was fabulous too. The man who runs it loves his birds and you can have plenty of hands on experience handling hawks and owls and other birds. I had a vulture sitting on my knee because she wanted a cuddle :lol:
Cheers. Just read Gary Fildes book - obviously a SAFC connection but it looks an interesting place to visit.

Saw nowt when we went last year unfortunately.

Was interesting enough but it's heavy going being half cut and listening to lectures about astrophysics at 3am.

Back