Standing there like a tin of milk

“We are all here, Like the folk of Shields” was a one I remember from being a bairn.

Assumed it was because the folk of shields were not all there.

I was told my bedroom looked like a Tagareen Shop when I was a kid but I still don't know what a Tagareen is

My mam used to use this term when I was a kid as well, I always thought that she had made it up, but I googled it and it means a rag shop. Her other favourite was “Do you want a few soup?” Hence my signature.

My mam used to use this term when I was a kid as well, I always thought that she had made it up, but I googled it and it means a rag shop. Her other favourite was “Do you want a few soup?” Hence my signature.

My mam used to say she was "putting sandwiches up for my dads bait" but I always took it literally and expected her to put them on shelves.

“We are all here, Like the folk of Shields” was a one I remember from being a bairn.

Assumed it was because the folk of shields were not all there.

No, it dates back to several centuries ago when the Rich merchants of Newcastle wanted control of all the incoming ship trade on the Tyne. The people of both North and South Shields stuck together in solardarity and saw them off. Thus the saying aal tigether like the folks o Shields.

Back