Standing there like a tin of milk

It's "fettle' and is a real word meaning to sort something out, finish it.

fettle
/ˈfɛt(ə)l/
noun
  1. 1.
    condition.
    "Marguerite was in fine fettle"
    synonyms: shape, trim, fitness, physical fitness, health, state of health; More
verb
  1. 1.
    trim or clean the rough edges of (a metal casting or a piece of pottery) before firing.
I used to be a fettler in a foundry.

A chebble leg - shortened to "Cheb" - a common term used in the shipyards to describe a well endowed gadgies cock.

"He's gorra cock on him like a chebble leg"

It is chable in our house

I'm posting this is as a north east mongrel...proud to be a child of Seaham but having also lived between the ages of 9 and 18 in Whitley Bay and Gateshead.
Fish lot is definitely exclusive to Wearside...on Tyneside it's a "paper".
As regards fettle...I distinctly recall fellas in Dawdon/Seaham in the 60s greeting friends and neighbours with a cheery "What fettle the day?" as in Hi, how are you?
In very recent years, down on the Isle of Wight, where I've been working and living, my colleagues loved "gadgie"...which I reckon is more Tyneside than Wearside but I had a whole group of Island co-workers pointing out random blokes and exlcaiming: Look at that Gadgie!
And they just could not believe one phrase I was trying to teach them (they thought it was Japanese) to urge someone to pass over an important tool...
'Hoyahammaowerheeah'

Not sure if already mentioned but I knew a few people who'd always say "but" at the end of a sentance. f***ing wrangens.
Made nationally famous by James Bolam's Terry in the Likely Lads on TV. Bolam's from Sunderland and writer Ian La Frenais is from the north east....the character of Terry would often end sentences with "...though but". True to life.

I'm posting this is as a north east mongrel...proud to be a child of Seaham but having also lived between the ages of 9 and 18 in Whitley Bay and Gateshead.
Fish lot is definitely exclusive to Wearside...on Tyneside it's a "paper".
As regards fettle...I distinctly recall fellas in Dawdon/Seaham in the 60s greeting friends and neighbours with a cheery "What fettle the day?" as in Hi, how are you?
In very recent years, down on the Isle of Wight, where I've been working and living, my colleagues loved "gadgie"...which I reckon is more Tyneside than Wearside but I had a whole group of Island co-workers pointing out random blokes and exlcaiming: Look at that Gadgie!
And they just could not believe one phrase I was trying to teach them (they thought it was Japanese) to urge someone to pass over an important tool...
'Hoyahammaowerheeah'
What is fish lot?

Back