Standard Guitar music going forward.

His first album was a total breath of fresh air at the time IMO. He was getting a shitload of airplay with “Acceptable in the 80s” and “Girls”, and he was just a kid making music in his bedroom. It didn’t take long before he was just another superstar DJ.

A very wealthy one at that, well done to him, no different to some band going from their garage to a sold out stadium tour.

I agree. He’s no bother and has his place but what I mean is like is anyone going to come up with punk or hip hop. We’ve had slow times before like 97 to 2000 where it was nu metal but that was 3 years then up pop the strokes, white stripes, libertines and the streets and something new was going on. Yeah they’d been done before I suppose but there’s nowt much since then where you can look and think stands the test of time.

As good as they were, The Strokes, The Libertines and most of that indie scene were hardly innovative bands.

Things will come around again. And in the meantime no-one can predict what changes in sound there will be.

They broke out around the same time as Arctic Monkeys et al. First album was 2004 or 2005 IIRC (I got the double sided CD/DVD stuck in my car’s stereo, that car was written off in January 2006)

No UK Top 10 albums or singles between them.

Ha i remember that album. The disc was clearly thicker than intended.

They broke out around the same time as Arctic Monkeys et al. First album was 2004 or 2005 IIRC (I got the double sided CD/DVD stuck in my car’s stereo, that car was written off in January 2006)

No UK Top 10 albums or singles between them.

Greta Van Fleet UK November tour is all sold out.

Everything's cyclical, things will come and go, and guitars will have their day again in some form. I reckon someone was saying exactly the same back in the early 80s when the high tide of punk had receded and synth-pop was all over the place.

Greta Van Fleet UK November tour is all sold out.

Yeah, but ask Joe Bloggs in the street and he won’t have a clue who they are. You can’t really call them the next big guitar band when they’ve not had a top 10 album.

I’m assuming it’s not an arena tour either? It’ll be Glasgow Barrowlands and the like? The bands in the OP would be selling out arenas if not stadiums when they burst into the scene.

Last edited:
Always comes back around. Usually when there's a period of time where the majority of music is the opposite and there is a void to fill.

Won't be another massive band though IMO, but that's more to do with how music is consumed now.

That doesn't matter to the masses.
It normally does come back around but it hasn’t for about 18 years and that’s the longest length of time yet.

Goes in cycles, always has. Surprised it hasn’t had a resurgence under the current political landscape, that’s usually the catalyst, but the young uns coming up nowadays ( of typical rock factors) haven’t really had anything as bad as thatcher and whatnot. The only half decent guitar band at the minute is the idles lads, but they are all in their 30’s. IMO like, obviously.

Back