Standard Guitar music going forward.

Goes in cycles, always has. Surprised it hasn’t had a resurgence under the current political landscape, that’s usually the catalyst, but the young uns coming up nowadays ( of typical rock factors) haven’t really had anything as bad as thatcher and whatnot. The only half decent guitar band at the minute is the idles lads, but they are all in their 30’s. IMO like, obviously.
It has done but isn’t now going in cycles. Think of the political landscape we’re in and nobody has said anything off the back of it.

Vampire Weekend are a canny band and have a different kind rythmn to their music. I think their sound is almost unique

Goes in cycles, always has. Surprised it hasn’t had a resurgence under the current political landscape, that’s usually the catalyst, but the young uns coming up nowadays ( of typical rock factors) haven’t really had anything as bad as thatcher and whatnot. The only half decent guitar band at the minute is the idles lads, but they are all in their 30’s. IMO like, obviously.

Fat White Family are the best band in the country at the minute.

It's the same across all the mainstream genres I think. The last big change to dance music was probably Acid House.

The Specials have released a new record singing about the same political & lifestyle issues they covered on their first album.

Agree with Idles. They’ve also got Shame, Cabbage, Fontaines DC & a few others in the same circles. But... they’ll not be an Oasis or Blur heading up a generation like in the 90s

Regarding political influences....most people have nowt to tell the world as they've already done it over social media so no need to learn an instrument to get it out there. People's thoughts used to be tweaked into fantastic lines and verses to be given to a wide audience, now it can be chopped down to simple speak and posted instantly. Also a lot of political and social born music was edgy and moody because the artists and fans felt like they weren't being listened to or understood at that point in time.

Arctic Monkeys looked like they enjoyed playing the harder and faster songs on their last tour, especially the South American gigs towards the end of the tour. I hope they come back with a hard rock album that also inspires kids to pick up guitars.

it doesn’t seem to have much of a future really. It’s a shame. The last renaissance of it I suppose was with the likes of the strokes, white stripes etc in the early 2000s.

Even the likes of Radiohead swapped to synths and making more abstract music. It often ends up that way. Even Bowie did it and at the time he was knocking about with Iggy Pop who you’d think would have steered him back to dirge.

Can anyone actually see a band coming through like Oasis or Nirvana now who have older people being impressed too like used to happen with kids. Bands these days with guitars are aimed at a particular audience and seem A&Red to fuck.

I reckon there will be a few people who say it’s just that the likes of me is getting older but I don’t agree. I don’t think we will ever see another Led Zeppelin, David Bowie or Pink Floyd.

I think it’s all going to be electronic based. All I listen to New seems to be electronic.
We wont see any more giants because of the way the industry now works ,the odd Pop one because its for the masses .Just sounds like you move through music in certain channels which is fair enough .New music isn't where it used to be anymore ,you have to find it .Shame are all young lads,full of noise and guitar riffs,Idles noisy punk ,start watching those two on youtube and all kinds come up ,I follow Symbiant on facebook ,local kids playing punk stuff and they're doing well .Its clearly not as vibrant as its heyday but guitars will always be there

Lack of venues also plays a part. The f***ing shithole I live in had a thriving music scene, was renowned for it, it spawned lots campesinos! And Ishmael ensemble to new a couple, but more and more bars have shut down to the point where I can’t even name a young local band nowadays.

In regard to the specials, I love rich old men who reside overseas singing about moped robberies like!

I'd say Catfish And The Bottlemen are quite a big band for 2010's. I'm sure they're doing a UK arena tour in the winter.

Other than that I can't think of any bands that have emerged in 2010's from the UK. Possibly 1975?

Just shows the absolute state of UK music.
Fixed..

Let's face it, good new British guitar music died in 1993. Everything new since then has been jangly uninspiring pseudo-indie whiney pop bollocks with shit singers and shit musicians.

Maybe if the new bands that came up since then had spent more time learning to sing and play and less time worrying about their image, we'd have a new crop of good guitar music by now.

America seem to be doing fine for guitar music still, having not fallen into the lazy Britpop-and-related-pretendy-angsty-shite trap where all you need is four chords played badly and a talentless lout on vocals.

Last edited:
Lack of venues also plays a part. The f***ing shithole I live in had a thriving music scene, was renowned for it, it spawned lots campesinos! And Ishmael ensemble to new a couple, but more and more bars have shut down to the point where I can’t even name a young local band nowadays.
Dundee has loads of good music venues, and in about the last 20-25 years the only band that has had any kind of commercial success is The View (although BeCharlotte is one to watch albeit not my thing).

Regarding political influences....most people have nowt to tell the world as they've already done it over social media so no need to learn an instrument to get it out there. People's thoughts used to be tweaked into fantastic lines and verses to be given to a wide audience, now it can be chopped down to simple speak and posted instantly. Also a lot of political and social born music was edgy and moody because the artists and fans felt like they weren't being listened to or understood at that point in time.

Arctic Monkeys looked like they enjoyed playing the harder and faster songs on their last tour, especially the South American gigs towards the end of the tour. I hope they come back with a hard rock album that also inspires kids to pick up guitars.
That’s a good point I hadn’t thought about actually.

We wont see any more giants because of the way the industry now works ,the odd Pop one because its for the masses .Just sounds like you move through music in certain channels which is fair enough .New music isn't where it used to be anymore ,you have to find it .Shame are all young lads,full of noise and guitar riffs,Idles noisy punk ,start watching those two on youtube and all kinds come up ,I follow Symbiant on facebook ,local kids playing punk stuff and they're doing well .Its clearly not as vibrant as its heyday but guitars will always be there
There’s loads of good bands about like and I’m not slagging off music because there’s enough for me but I just don’t see another traditional 4 piece band emerging that bands like Oasis, Pistols, Zeppelin etc were. Tbh I probably wouldn’t get into it but I’d like it to happen. I think the Arctic Monkeys are class and probably as close as it gets to that.

Last edited:
Rock bands are invariably terrible. A lot of them are trying so hard to be heard that they all sound the f***ing same. Why have one guitar track when you can have 8? Drummers need to get their f***ing acts together anarl - cymbals getting lashed all over the place non-stop, and some 'singer' shouting on ower the cacophony. It's awful. Less is more. Neebody seems to find the space on a record any more. As a result, the hooks and the grooves are lost, and it's all just a noisy shambles for the digital age. Minging.

Yeah, but ask Joe Bloggs in the street and he won’t have a clue who they are. You can’t really call them the next big guitar band when they’ve not had a top 10 album.

I’m assuming it’s not an arena tour either? It’ll be Glasgow Barrowlands and the like? The bands in the OP would be selling out arenas if not stadiums when they burst into the scene.

The premise of the thread was a little vague but one part was "Can anyone actually see a band coming through like Oasis or Nirvana now who have older people being impressed too like used to happen with kids. Bands these days with guitars are aimed at a particular audience "

That's what GVF are doing Stateside they are increasingly huge and hopefully will be here when we catch up.

Haven’t you heard Graceland?

Haven't you heard of Johnny Clegg and Juluka/ Savuka. He/they were making that sound before Paul Simon got there.
Graceland is a brilliant album I've got it on vinyl and cd but Johnny Clegg does it better.
Vampire Weekend are the 2010s version of Johnny but without the Zulu vocals

The premise of the thread was a little vague but one part was "Can anyone actually see a band coming through like Oasis or Nirvana now who have older people being impressed too like used to happen with kids. Bands these days with guitars are aimed at a particular audience "

That's what GVF are doing Stateside they are increasingly huge and hopefully will be here when we catch up.
They're a bit of a joke though really aren't they.

The keyboard will always be the geek of the music world. Guitars will always have that sex appeal associated with them regardless of who is playing it.
I didn't think his comment was even worth a reply to be honest.

We catch up? They couldn’t even sell out the 02 in Newcastle man. Just an old cliched band riding on the coat tails of loads of old bands. Utter chod and these are the sort of bands that wreck music. They aren’t even playing big venues in America they’re playing places the size of Brixton Academy. They’ll never amount to anything them.

The keyboard will always be the geek of the music world. Guitars will always have that sex appeal associated with them regardless of who is playing it.
You sound like Cher or something. Sex appeal :lol:

Back