Stacey Dooley - White Saviour

Aituk7

Striker
Stacey Dooley hits back over Comic Relief 'white saviours' jibe

Stacey Dooley hits back at David Lammy over Comic Relief 'white saviours' jibe

"Stacey Dooley has responded to accusations from MP David Lammy that she is encouraging "white saviours" following her trip to Uganda for Comic Relief.

While Mr Lammy insisted the issue was not "personal" with the Strictly Come Dancing winner, he said that she was perpetuating "tired and unhelpful stereotypes"

Mr Lammy, who has been the MP for Tottenham since 2010, said on Twitter that Stacey was reinforcing unhelpful stereotypes about Africa.

He said: "The world does not need any more white saviours. As I've said before, this just perpetuates tired and unhelpful stereotypes.

Stacey wrote to the politician: "David, is the issue with me being white? (Genuine question) ...because if that's the case, you could always go over there and try raise awareness?

"Comic relief have raised over 1 billion pounds since they started. I saw projects that were saving lives with the money. Kids lives."

Bit harsh from Lammy like, does make you wonder what the response would have been had Stacey told David the world doesn't need any more black saviours :rolleyes: :confused:

Last edited:

Watching a program on africa the other day, the lass out of the noisettes was filming a video and discussed with that bbc fella in a wheelchair how great it was having an all black crew.

There would have been fecking hell on if a white singer said it was fecking brilliant none of his crew were black!!!

I think this was specifically about southern Africa where a lot of the better paid jobs in arts/entertainment/media still go to white people, although the population is largely black.

Watching a program on africa the other day, the lass out of the noisettes was filming a video and discussed with that bbc fella in a wheelchair how great it was having an all black crew.

There would have been fecking hell on if a white singer said it was fecking brilliant none of his crew were black!!!

Eee that sounds really racist when taken completely out of context. Mad.

Could you give me a brief synopsis?

Man in wheelchair is doing a travel show going round sub-Saharan Africa. Final episode covers southern Africa (Mozambique, Zimbabwe and South Africa are the three countries focussed on). In Zimbabwe, he goes to a video shoot for a solo single by Shingai Shoniwa, singer of semi-popular a decade ago band The Noisettes, whose family come from Zimbabwe. They chat. I don't remember many details but, I think, it's broadly about being able to shoot a video in Zimbabwe and how it's good that there's a local black crew involved as it's a bit of a sign that things are on the up at last in some regards.

Man in wheelchair is doing a travel show going round sub-Saharan Africa. Final episode covers southern Africa (Mozambique, Zimbabwe and South Africa are the three countries focussed on). In Zimbabwe, he goes to a video shoot for a solo single by Shingai Shoniwa, singer of semi-popular a decade ago band The Noisettes, whose family come from Zimbabwe. They chat. I don't remember many details but, I think, it's broadly about being able to shoot a video in Zimbabwe and how it's good that there's a local black crew involved as it's a bit of a sign that things are on the up at last in some regards.

That’s all good....it’s the “white saviour” bit that confuses me. It seems like an inappropriate comment by Mr Lammy on the face of it but maybe I’m missing something here.

The Comic Relief shite does perpetuate the narrative that Africa is a hopeless basket case full of useless people who cannot feed and clothe themselves.

It was better when a big fat Lenny Henry went rather than some whitey do gooder.
:eek: :lol:

I've watched a fair few comic reliefs over the years, I've never thought the people featured were useless.

I always thought they were starving and desperate for help

Back