St Benedicts Hospice - going on Tuesday with me mam and dad

No reason why you would no he was that poorly xx
It’s not imminent (I hope) but he’s not having anymore treatment as in chemo.
Sorry you’ve been through it 5 times x
It definitely doesn’t get easier, I’ve lost older relatives, but in the out of sequence/order me sister and baby niece wasn’t the natural order. Growing up, when you think randomly about losing a parent, you think you will have your sibling and you’ll support each other. I’ll knack her leaving me with this wherever she is :evil::lol:

Be strong for him and enjoy every moment with your Dad. And if you need anyone to talk to you have plenty of support on here, or feel free to pm me x

Be strong for him and enjoy every moment with your Dad. And if you need anyone to talk to you have plenty of support on here, or feel free to pm me x
I go and see him at least once a day, everyday, I ring 4/5 times a day, I go to work, because that’s what he wants me to do and I get wrong if I don’t, :lol: ffs.
I know I’ve lots of support, on here, it’s like a second family at times like this, and I will thank you xx

Me mam is determined he will be at home, and that’s his wish, I will support it 100%. Except I’ve said I can’t handle seeing him in pain, so if he needs hospice care to manage that I’ll be grateful of their support

Taking the Mickey is the best, I rang me dad the other day, I was chatting to him and he said I’m going to get some oxygen. I said you do that dad don’t waste your breathe talking to me. He replied
“Yes you are right pet, I’ve wasted enough of me breath talking to you over the years”
:eek::lol:
:lol:

Amazing place....my little Mam saw out her final week there just over a year ago.

The staff and volunteers are amazing and gave her the peaceful and dignified end that was so important to her (and us)

You hope to never need it, but was so grateful it was there when we did.

Best wishes to you and yours.

Amazing place....my little Mam saw out her final week there just over a year ago.

The staff and volunteers are amazing and gave her the peaceful and dignified end that was so important to her (and us)

You hope to never need it, but was so grateful it was there when we did.

Best wishes to you and yours.

I think that’s exactly it, you hope you never need them, but if you do you just want the best x

Last edited:
My dad was in St Benedicts, the care he received was exceptional. It made a lasting impression on me, so much so that i really fancied working in a palliative care environment.
Im a chef by trade, and at the time i was working offshore. I had done it for 14 years, and i was at the point where i thought i needed a job at home now....we had just had our 3rd child as well. I applied for a job at the Marie Curie Hospice in Newcastle and got it!!
Will have been there 17 years in October, and been Head Chef for 15 of them. I really love what i do, and i am really proud to say i work for Marie Curie....i see everyday the difference they make.
Your dad will be in good hands Janey, they are incredibly supportive, and very respectful of families wishes.
Wishing you and your family all the best Janey.

Me mother spent her last few weeks there and they absolutely amazing
Reminds me I must do another fundraiser soon
My dad was in St Benedicts, the care he received was exceptional. It made a lasting impression on me, so much so that i really fancied working in a palliative care environment.
Im a chef by trade, and at the time i was working offshore. I had done it for 14 years, and i was at the point where i thought i needed a job at home now....we had just had our 3rd child as well. I applied for a job at the Marie Curie Hospice in Newcastle and got it!!
Will have been there 17 years in October, and been Head Chef for 15 of them. I really love what i do, and i am really proud to say i work for Marie Curie....i see everyday the difference they make.
Your dad will be in good hands Janey, they are incredibly supportive, and very respectful of families wishes.
Wishing you and your family all the best Janey.
What an absolutely lovely story. You should be so proud thank you xx

Me mam is determined he will be at home, and that’s his wish, I will support it 100%. Except I’ve said I can’t handle seeing him in pain, so if he needs hospice care to manage that I’ll be grateful of their support

Taking the Mickey is the best, I rang me dad the other day, I was chatting to him and he said I’m going to get some oxygen. I said you do that dad don’t waste your breathe talking to me. He replied
“Yes you are right pet, I’ve wasted enough of me breath talking to you over the years”
:eek::lol:

:lol: says it all janey lass.

It’s a really special place, we’ve had family members cared for there and at home by the staff. Our lasses mother is a PC Nurse there, so it’s close to all our hearts. We’ve done the GNR a few times for it and go to their Christmas memorial every year, which I would encourage anyone that’s had family or friends in the hospice to go to.

My Granda was in hospital for months at the back end of last year, he got a bed at St Benedict's just after Christmas. I think he was there about a week and a half in the end but I wish he'd been able to go sooner.

They really know what they're doing and he was much more comfortable there. Obviously it was a difficult time but the environment for both him and my Nana who was with him every day was a massive improvement on the hospital. I don't think he could have had better care anywhere else.

Hope the visit goes ok @janey

I had a relative in there some years back and the care was second to none. I know it's not what your Mam wants, but it'll give you peace of mind seeing what will happen if you do have to go down that route. Take care pet xx

That’s why I’m glad he’s going to be in the system, the GP has already prescribed, and we have a lot of the needed driver meds, and hopefully if we need it we will get respite. Even if it’s just to sort out pain management, and get him home again.
Hope your sister is okay xx
@janey How did it go?

@janey How did it go?
It was excellent, we were with the doctor, two hours, she was brilliant.
Covered all aspects of his care, emotional and physical. She’s reviewed his medication and changed some of it already.
She asked if he was worried about anything and he said “if Sunderland win the next game” :).
Was upsetting when he said he was just worried about me and me mam :( but understandable too.
He’s going to go once a week as a day patient so he can be reviewed in terms of meds and things and assessed as things progress.
Bittersweet in many ways, not something you ever really want to do, but I feel much better that I now feel as though someone has ‘control’ over his care
Thank you for asking xxxx

It was excellent, we were with the doctor, two hours, she was brilliant.
Covered all aspects of his care, emotional and physical. She’s reviewed his medication and changed some of it already.
She asked if he was worried about anything and he said “if Sunderland win the next game” :).
Was upsetting when he said he was just worried about me and me mam :( but understandable too.
He’s going to go once a week as a day patient so he can be reviewed in terms of meds and things and assessed as things progress.
Bittersweet in many ways, not something you ever really want to do, but I feel much better that I now feel as though someone has ‘control’ over his care
Thank you for asking xxxx

Difficult times ahead Janey but you've got plenty of support on here. pm if you wanna chat and I will give you my home number xx

Back